forum

help I cant look in the middle

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tessract
Hi I played taiko for 4-6 months I can fc 1 star with 99+ acc and barely fc 2 star maps and I want to fc more 2 star maps and pass 3-5 star maps I can tap fast but I cant read the notes because I keep looking on the left which I barely have time to react in 2 star and above any tip on look at the middle also I cant play hidden the Silver S and SS rank are from Flashlight mod
or FL not HD

Thank you!
Mayomi
You don't really need to look in the middle for most maps unless you're playing HR or HD (or unless you're playing on a less wide screen resolution idk). Personally I look to the left by default and only move towards the centre/right side the higher the SV is.

You're probably not used to the patterns yet, so it feels like you can't react in time, but really you just need to practice the patterns more and get comfortable with them until you can process them faster. I wouldn't stress too much about where you're looking, just look wherever feels comfortable in the moment and play more™
_mp1506
I actually completely agree with Mayomi here..

I started off a visual player which rn is still learning to do auditory. I can play looking towards middle but it still doesn't feel right since I started left (just a little bit righter to the hitting point). To this day I only look middle only for 180+ BPM HR (just a little bit left from the middle) or just HD you don't say.

There might be another problem though.. Said you can tap fast and the problem is that you brought that up. Taiko is a game of stability, and you'll find it harder to learn new patterns when you're a chokester. Slow down, chillax, enjoy the game, enjoy the beat and you'll get farther than you thought you could. In my opinion 97% acc with 120 UR is better than 99% acc with 140 UR. Trust me that difference is massive. Just a thing to know.

My further thoughts:
An auditory player would not ask that question because they can discern a bad color pattern to a good one. Thats what I believe.

So, chances are you're a visual player with extra energy just like me and that is bad if you don't know how to tame it. You will get killed by ninja notes and low SV in the coming time just because you try to sightread everything. Means you're not calm enough. So chill, you'll get those patterns soon enough cus 2 star patterns are so damb ez to learn.

I would say this as a possible solution: Taiko is definitely not about SR, it's about patterns and BPM. I was a singletap kddk player and found my solution by migrating to full alternate. I dropped 180 BPM with mono colored patterns (was an convert player) and I was talking about Night of Nights (Hard) beatmap and learned 130 BPM with harder patterns which is Sleeping Butterfly (Oni) I think. I got back to 180 in a month and with those harder patterns. Worked for me.
jh29a
I'm a beginner and I'd also like to confirm that reducing the bpm I play maps at definitely made the game more fun. I play a bunch of HT too.
Topic Starter
tessract

_mp1506 wrote:

I started off a visual player which rn is still learning to do auditory. I can play looking towards middle but it still doesn't feel right since I started left (just a little bit righter to the hitting point). To this day I only look middle only for 180+ BPM HR (just a little bit left from the middle) or just HD you don't say.

There might be another problem though.. Said you can tap fast and the problem is that you brought that up. Taiko is a game of stability, and you'll find it harder to learn new patterns when you're a chokester. Slow down, chillax, enjoy the game, enjoy the beat and you'll get farther than you thought you could. In my opinion 97% acc with 120 UR is better than 99% acc with 140 UR. Trust me that difference is massive. Just a thing to know.

My further thoughts:
An auditory player would not ask that question because they can discern a bad color pattern to a good one. Thats what I believe.

So, chances are you're a visual player with extra energy just like me and that is bad if you don't know how to tame it. You will get killed by ninja notes and low SV in the coming time just because you try to sightread everything. Means you're not calm enough. So chill, you'll get those patterns soon enough cus 2 star patterns are so damb ez to learn.

I would say this as a possible solution: Taiko is definitely not about SR, it's about patterns and BPM. I was a singletap kddk player and found my solution by migrating to full alternate. I dropped 180 BPM with mono colored patterns (was an convert player) and I was talking about Night of Nights (Hard) beatmap and learned 130 BPM with harder patterns which is Sleeping Butterfly (Oni) I think. I got back to 180 in a month and with those harder patterns. Worked for me.
thanks for that now I can pass some 3* maps but any tips for fast reading streams cus always get mindblock on the first notes
Mayomi

tessract wrote:

thanks for that now I can pass some 3* maps but any tips for fast reading streams cus always get mindblock on the first notes
that's a little early to be thinking about streams imo, at the 3* level I'd recommend working on 3-note and maybe 5-note bursts and then increasing the lengths as you get more comfortable

as for mindblock: you can just play more until you overcome it naturally (probably more fun) or you can bruteforce it

when I was mindblocking on certain patterns, I would make my own practice maps with nothing but that pattern repeated over and over, at a super low bpm. I think there's several graveyarded training mapsets like this out there already, but tbh I always found them too short / have too many different patterns in one map / aren't focused on the pattern I need etc. so I ended up creating my own maps using songs I liked, but obviously you don't have to put in that much extra effort, I'm just picky lol

I suggest using osu trainer to make rate edits. At first, make it slow enough that you don't even register it as a "burst" in your mind -- just think of them as individual notes, and force your hands to move one note at a time.

Also, use high-ish SV (within what you can comfortably read, of course). In my experience, mindblocking/fingerlocking is usually a "oh shit what do i do" response that happens when there's too many notes coming at once, so limiting the number of notes on your screen can help

And one more small anecdotal tip, if there's a long enough rest in the map, spam random notes before you reach the pattern you're struggling with. I find that just having my fingers in continuous motion can prevent fingerlocking

-
tl;dr: use practice diffs repeating the same pattern for the entire map, at low bpm, comfy sv
_mp1506

tessract wrote:

_mp1506 wrote:

My further thoughts:

I actually, once again agree with Mayomi, and I'm also one of those people who maps for personal practice just like Mayomi... LOL... But different style menu.

I am a kddk player please keep in mind (take my keybind for example: zx./. Look at the color assigned, d represents don(red note) and k represents kat(blue note).

The sole thing that doesn't seem to help but greatly contributes to my overall stability is actually the bignote. It makes reading a bit harder, but it's not because you know it's the same as other small notes, you also need to use 2 fingers from both hands to perform (it actually serves as a form check whether your left and right is standing on the equal footing or not), it's performable in any form of 1/2 and situational 1/4 snappings, and the best thing is what I said actually works on the highest BPM you found comfortable to play. It simply just promotes reading, composure, and finger control. Too good to exist that thing.

Enough of my personal menu. You said being able to clear 3* rite? Mayomi said it all, but I'd recommend you to keep up you to keep your general acc to 98,5%^ (calculated based on your top 100 pp play I reckon). You alr have 97.52% atm, and at your level, it shouldn't be hard to get 98,5%^. After you've done that, try to keep it that way. That way, you will start gaining the benefits of it quite promptly (might not feel it tho). In short, we repliers suggest that you try to do things at a higher standard. I had once has 98% general acc record, but I tell you it actually still feels a bit shaky. At least 98,5% I think will promote you for higher rate of improvement in the future.

Finally, regarding Mayomi saying about playing patterns you haven't mastered in lower BPM. Use this knowledge on your own discretion, but you should know that low BPMs help you improve finger control. Meaning, you will choke notes far less in the future. I knoe some players that does 300 BPM daily but chokes 180 BPM because it's too slow for them? Ironic but it's the truth. It's different with tasuke912 tho, the guy. just. don't. choke. and. he. has. godly. tech. prowess. and. insane. control. and with the acc too bad to keep up with his other skills :P

Be a complete player. Then you can choose your own path upgrade. Play. Enjoy. I'm so bad.