forum

[Archived] Losing Ranks on Loved Map Score Submission

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Blaziken77g
Problem details:
This has happened 4 or 5 times now in the past 1 or 2 weeks where a play that would have been just fine on a loved map (because it's a loved map; you're not supposed to be able to gain or lose ranks on them last I checked) resulted in me losing ranks. I believe I know why this the case after those 4 or 5 times, but I hope this is addressed ASAP because isn't one of the points of loved maps not to care about ranks and pp?

Back on topic, I believe that loved maps are somehow being considered by the play submission system as ranked plays, and thus - when an inevitably 0pp score comes in, because loved maps still do that apparently - they're treated as if they were a 0pp ranked play, resulting in no rank gain, but definite rank loss (My 2 highest rank drops were -163 and -180 from this). This is definitely only the surface level of the issue, but this is about as far as I can go with my intensely limited knowledge on coding.

As a note to all the people who will say that I should just not care about ranks and whatnot, I know very well, after taking multiple, months long breaks from this game in my osu "career", not to care about ranks. Nowadays, it just dampens a little from a really good score (last vestiges of caring viciously still burning in that regard), though I don't care about my overall rank much anymore.

I sincerely hope this is noticed and addressed swiftly because, as I have mentioned above, isn't the point of a loved map to not have to worry about ranks and pp; to just have fun with interesting maps?

Thanks and have a good day.

Blaziken77g

-----------------------

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

I don't know how the image thing works, so here's a link that I think should let you download the image when you click it:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/805168483817095238/1243382864637202473/screenshot1251.jpg?ex=66514607&is=664ff487&hm=a45b2d18ade1b3c0379d32f400351ed941c2134d8cac8c83bbb458dc508b2729&=&format=webp&width=1026&height=577

osu! version: Stable 20240513.1 (latest)
Blushing
Loved maps still submit to the website.

Any score that submits to the website checks to see if PP is earned, this process may lose you ranks because people are passing you in PP.

So while you are not losing PP or anything it is still fetching peoples PP in comparison to yours.

They are not being considered as ranked scores but the PP fetching system works on plays submitted, which loved submits plays.
Topic Starter
Blaziken77g

Blushing wrote:

Any score that submits to the website checks to see if PP is earned, this process may lose you ranks because people are passing you in PP.

So while you are not losing PP or anything it is still fetching peoples PP in comparison to yours.

They are not being considered as ranked scores but the PP fetching system works on plays submitted, which loved submits plays.
Thank you for the clarification on how the system works. I still think that check should limited to ranked maps only and not loved ones because that's how it was not too long ago - in fact for most of the time I've played - and I don't believe loved maps should be part of the ranked score submission pp check (I'm specifically calling it the "ranked" one because that was the distinction made before) and this seems to me a clear downgrade from before rather than an upgrade; once again I shall say:
"[I]sn't the point of a loved map to not have to worry about ranks and pp; to just have fun with interesting maps?"

Seriously, thank you for the response; it has opened my mind a bit more to how things have changed since my last absence.

Blaziken77g
Utsushime

Blaziken77g wrote:

"Isn't the point of a loved map to not have to worry about ranks and pp; to just have fun with interesting maps?"
Uh, if I'm not misunderstanding here, every time you submit a score, osu updates your rank. So if I lose 10 ranks in the timeframe, there'd be -10 written even if the map I played was a loved map and I didn't lose any pp (but people surpassed me). 

It doesn't make sense to not update it.
PP grind

Utsushime wrote:

Blaziken77g wrote:

"Isn't the point of a loved map to not have to worry about ranks and pp; to just have fun with interesting maps?"
Uh, if I'm not misunderstanding here, every time you submit a score, osu updates your rank. So if I lose 10 ranks in the timeframe, there'd be -10 written even if the map I played was a loved map and I didn't lose any pp (but people surpassed me). 

That's a really good description, but I have to add one little note it's on every map that have a online (aka in game seeable) leaderboard aka loved, ranked and appreciated
Topic Starter
Blaziken77g

Utsushime wrote:

Blaziken77g wrote:

The main reason why I brought this up was because it was not the case before (I've been playing on-and-off for nearly 4 years now, and this is a change that had to have been made sometime after December last year, as that was when I last went off); before I'm pretty sure that -10 (for example) would have been accounted for in the next ranked play someone makes rather than in the loved maps themselves, which grant no opportunity themselves for a "redemption" as I will call it with the amount of ranks gained in, say, playing a ranked map. "Ranked" maps are called that because they are (or at least were) supposed to be the only maps an update of the player's "rank" by submission of a score could occur with, and not the others (qualified, loved, graveyard, etc.)

To add to the argument that this was not the case before, I shall also mention that, if it does make sense to update it, then why does that not occur with graveyarded or qualified (last I checked for the latter; I'll be checking that again soon) maps? After all, time has passed as you mentioned, and in that time others have certainly surpassed you following that logic (quick note that this isn't a personal attack or anything of the sort, because I know that's how digital mediums of conversation, lacking the nuance of the physical, can come off as).

Thanks though for the comment and for taking the time to read and respond to this.

Blaziken77g

Edit: I checked, and qualified maps have the same problem, though - like loved maps - they keep that notice banner at the start which is technically correct, though gives a false impression that ranks will be ignored, let alone the lack of a "redemption" chance mentioned above. I guess that makes two similar yet confusing problems: loved and qualified.
meepdos
i just GOT +1 rank after passing a loved map, wtf

- Marco -

Blushing wrote: