forum

do people not like hitsounds? (osu!mania)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WarpTheDragon
So I've seen around some modding queues and stuff that people dislike hitsounds. is there a reason for this?
lewski
can u elaborate and/or show an example i dont really get it

like do ppl not want to mod maps with hitsounds in general or is it something more specific (for example super complex hs) or what
xch00F
personally I don't like hitsounds, imo they get in the way of the music and I don't find them necessary, at least during play. they can b really useful during charting and playtesting tho, they're basically another sense you can use to figure out if patterns are awkward. ie if a stream looks fine but feels awkward to play, listening to how quickly the hitsounds play lets you hear raw speed
edit: o and they're super helpful when playing around w/ polyrhythms
Topic Starter
WarpTheDragon

lewski wrote:

can u elaborate and/or show an example i dont really get it

like do ppl not want to mod maps with hitsounds in general or is it something more specific (for example super complex hs) or what
I think it's more of the second one, where people just don't wanna mod maps with hs
Peni
i don't have an answer to ur question but u should probably specify that you're talking about mania. otherwise ppl will assume that you'Re talking about std, cause this is not a mode-specific forum.
Topic Starter
WarpTheDragon

Peni wrote:

i don't have an answer to ur question but u should probably specify that you're talking about mania. otherwise ppl will assume that you'Re talking about std, cause this is not a mode-specific forum.
oops. added that to the title.
lewski
ohhhh yeah a lot of mania folks do seem to kinda despise hitsounds, to the point where them being mandatory used to hold back the mania ranked section pretty hard afaik

I think the reason is just kinda that the mania community spans a ton of different games and a lot of them don't have hitsounds so many people don't want to have them here either
Rivals_7
true, hitsounds back then were seen as a hindrance to a lot of high-level beatmaps. a lot of mappers proficient in creating such beatmaps have no interest in rankeds due to this, and in turn, the selection of rankeds becomes increasingly stale.

another argument is that hitsounds do not improve playability a lot and that most of the players would just disable the sfx volume anyway

if you're asking BNs though, some would still strictly accept beatmaps with hitsounds only
[TCD] Dzar03
For osu!mania, most people will turn off HS while playing, especially in high-difficulty maps, where you don't really need HS to know whether you are pressing late or early hence mapper could find it unnecessary

But still, a HSed map could be more interesting
McEndu
hitsounding is mostly unnecessary formalism back then

full keysounding is rarely executed here
xch00F

Rivals_7 wrote:

true, hitsounds back then were seen as a hindrance to a lot of high-level beatmaps. a lot of mappers proficient in creating such beatmaps have no interest in rankeds due to this, and in turn, the selection of rankeds becomes increasingly stale.

another argument is that hitsounds do not improve playability a lot and that most of the players would just disable the sfx volume anyway

if you're asking BNs though, some would still strictly accept beatmaps with hitsounds only
yep, I was interested a while ago in trying to get some stuff ranked but having to hitsound the entire chart was a hard wall so I never tried
if they're no longer a requirement I will definitely submit stuff for ranking