posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BluePyTheWDeer_
I am learning how to draw, but please tell me tips to make better drawings
B0ii
send some samples of what you have made so far
a1l2d3r4e5d6
I'm not sure of your current progress, so this will either be of help or something you already know, and I just typed out something pointless.

Anyway,

This is gonna sound somewhat crude, but one of the best tips for getting better is to keep drawing.
Like most things in life, you get better at something the more you do it.

But! Don't just draw mindlessly and move on. Observe what you drew. Look closely at your process, and pick out any habits you have and address them as necessary. The more you draw, the more info you'll give yourself, and the easier it is to see what you need to do to get better.

You'll make some good drawings, and you'll make a lot of 'bad' ones. You'll make mistakes, but that's okay; it's better to make them and understand why, rather than not making and seeing errors in the first place. Eventually, you'll start seeing progress, and you'll make more good drawings and less 'bad' drawings.

Some more rapid-fire pointers:
These work for me. It might help you. It might not. It varies for each individual.
  1. Use short deliberate strokes instead of completing shapes in one fell swoop.
  2. Find a book on how to draw.
    -It will give you the basic fundamentals on drawing and some pointers on how to improve in a more structured manner.
  3. Alternatively, find artists you like, and observe their process if possible.
    -Learn how they do specific things and understand why they do it and how it contributes to their art.
  4. Practice how to draw in perspective.
    -It really helps when you're trying to draw in a 3d space. It helps you understand other things too like foreshortening.
  5. Use, and practice with, references. This could be still life or photo studies.
    -For the most part, you can't draw from nothing. Use references for elements you are unfamiliar with.
  6. On the subject of learning from studies, learn to break the subject down into simple shapes before refining the form and adding in details.
    -It helps you understand the entire shape of your subject in smaller chunks that you simply need to put together.
  7. If you're learning anatomy, find patterns. It helps you learn proportions.
    -(e.g. Human height = human width when arms are fully outstretched from the side, Human foot length = length between elbow and wrist, etc.)
  8. I reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally recommend learning anatomy.
    -If you can understand how to draw a body, human or otherwise, then you can understand how to manipulate its form in an accurate manner. You can make it more realistic, or go the other side and create a very stylistic design.
  9. Enjoy the process. You'll be rewarded with a drawing that you enjoyed making!