forum

[Archived] Offset Changing Randomly

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bobthaboy
I've been having offset problems starting yesterday, and I'm not sure what prompted it.
I've always played on 0ms offset, never had an issue. I could set a high accuracy play just fine, only limited by my own skill.
But then, and I believe this started yesterday, all of my notes were registering late. Odd, but fine, I'll dial my offset down to -38ms. Everything feels normal again.
Until a couple maps later, I have to adjust it a little, again and again. It's like it's fluctuating. Not dramatically, maybe around 15ms, but it's enough to notice. I hit notes consistently wrong, update my offset, and everything is fine until a few maps down and I redo the process.
It's actually really frustrating, I can't really play the game like this.

osu! version: Stable 20240425.2 (latest)
[clouds]
try toggling the "Audio compatability mode" located in the Devices tab in settings.
Topic Starter
bobthaboy

[clouds] wrote:

try toggling the "Audio compatability mode" located in the Devices tab in settings.
I went into my devices tab as well as googled "windows 10 Audio compatability mode devices settings" and can't find exactly what it is that you're referring to.
[clouds]

bobthaboy wrote:

[clouds] wrote:

I went into my devices tab as well as googled "windows 10 Audio compatability mode devices settings" and can't find exactly what it is that you're referring to.
sorry, i should've clarified i meant osu! settings.
Topic Starter
bobthaboy

[clouds] wrote:

bobthaboy wrote:

[clouds] wrote:

sorry, i should've clarified i meant osu! settings.
So, I'm not really sure what the exact issue was. Maybe I was just having a stroke. Because I'm just now realizing that the universal offset has to deal with the audio itself and not with the approaching circles. My initial issue was with the approaching circles, because I swear to god, it was suddenly off timing.
Be it me going schizo or me just suddenly playing really late or really early for no reason other than just happenstance, as far as I'm aware, I turned on this setting and now the problem is gone, and that's all that matters to me LOL
Before I want this marked as resolved, I have another question. Since what I saw had to do with the approaching circles and believing that that was offset, is there any way to modify the timing of the hit window as opposed to modifying the timing of the audio?
[clouds]
i'm not quite sure what you mean, but maybe this helps?
i believe offset changes when the notes appear and will obviously change the timing of the map with the approach circle.

local offset
negative offset makes notes appear sooner.
positive offset makes notes appear later.

global offset
negative offset makes notes appear later.
positive offset makes notes appear sooner.
Topic Starter
bobthaboy

[clouds] wrote:

i'm not quite sure what you mean, but maybe this helps?
i believe offset changes when the notes appear and will obviously change the timing of the map with the approach circle.

global offset

local offset

Well all that does is offset the audio. Is there a way I can offset the hit window of the notes?
For instance, if you hit a note at 0ms, the approaching circle should be cleanly around it, and you get a 300. And you have a timeframe to actually hit that window based on the OD. On OD 5 nomod, then you can hit it 25ms early and get a 300, and the approaching circle should be slightly outside the note, while if you hit it 25ms late, you still get the 300, and the approaching circle should be slightly inside the note. I felt as if this was visually off, where I felt that I was hitting the note at the proper timing based off of the approaching circle, however it was returning that I was hitting too late or too early. Not sure exactly why, it could be a couple of things. Nonetheless, is there a way that I can actually offset the hit window from the approaching circle?

Edit: Either that or offset my tap inputs