forum

Nhato - Miss You

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ozato Fumika

ktgster wrote:

Honestly, why do people ignore opinions and come with an excuse that tries to relate to the person's skill level. Note that this is not a complaint post.

IMO, this map is pretty ridiculous. It's creative and such, but you're basically forcing this creativity into this map. Due to this, you miss the whole point of playing the song. Right now, I could mute the song and the whole map would be no different than if I had the music turned on.

A lot of NC usage here looks very random. In fact, most of those NC changes are due to the SV changes you use throughout the whole map. There are basically no indications to this and your only way to read these are intuition and NC's. Changes like 02:27:266 (1) and 02:49:766 (2) are barely even needed. Also do not NC spam 02:16:357 (1,1,1,1) and many other parts similar to this. They are improper usages of NCing

The map is also very inconsistent in both note placements and consistency. Sections like 02:54:993 - have no thought behind them and are probably just there to look cool. Then when you have parts like 02:58:857 (2,3,4,5,1) - , it makes me wonder why such spacing would be there when the spacing should normally be smaller. Parts like 01:35:448 (3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4) - also feel weird to play since nothing represents back and forth patterns.

02:16:357 (1,1,1,1) - This is a pretty major complaint here. There's really no point using such 1/8 spacing with sliders. It is a huge surprise to about any player since you're putting it at a pretty soft part. You also have to snap back and forth due to the sharp movement from (2) to the 4th (1's). Just gotta say, these are actually really annoying to play and feel forced down in the map for players to break. All the 1/4 jumps are not even as ridiculous as this. Remember that maps should always aim for the map to be readable and not have the person memorize.

If this ever gets unranked, please consider some of these changes.
Can't agree more.

Also, all these stream jumps + flow breaker (or whatever you call them) like 03:13:743 (6,1,2,1) - 03:17:607 (2,1) - 03:18:516 (8,1) - and a lot more were just so disgustingly hard to play. Maybe I just suck so much.
11t

ktgster wrote:

A lot of NC usage here looks very random. In fact, most of those NC changes are due to the SV changes you use throughout the whole map. There are basically no indications to this and your only way to read these are intuition and NC's. Changes like 02:27:266 (1) and 02:49:766 (2) are barely even needed. Also do not NC spam 02:16:357 (1,1,1,1) and many other parts similar to this. They are improper usages of NCing
What defines "proper usage of NCing"? For me, I believe that NCs are appropriate wherever the mapper feels that there is a separation between patterns. In this sense, I think that the NCing here works especially well; there's a lot of separation in patterns because the instrumentation shifts frequently and dramatically. The frequent NCs reinforce this aspect of the song.

ktgster wrote:

The map is also very inconsistent in both note placements and consistency. Sections like 02:54:993 - have no thought behind them and are probably just there to look cool.
Please don't say that this has no thought behind them. For all you know, the mapper could have spent days on this single section.

ktgster wrote:

Then when you have parts like 02:58:857 (2,3,4,5,1) - , it makes me wonder why such spacing would be there when the spacing should normally be smaller.
What do you mean by "the spacing should normally be smaller"? There's nothing wrong with not doing what "should normally be". The spacing here is totally readable and it's impossible to confuse this with another timing like, say, 1/2.

ktgster wrote:

Parts like 01:35:448 (3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4) - also feel weird to play since nothing represents back and forth patterns.
There's a synth in the background that plays the same note at a 1/2 rhythm. I'm not Hanzer so I can't speak about his intentions, but the way I see it, the back and forth stacks here are meant to bring some of that repetitiveness to the player's attention; it's just exposing and focusing on another layer of the musical landscape of this section.

ktgster wrote:

02:16:357 (1,1,1,1) - This is a pretty major complaint here. There's really no point using such 1/8 spacing with sliders. It is a huge surprise to about any player since you're putting it at a pretty soft part.

This is not a relaxing map to play through; it's a map full of diverse patterns which are supposed to capture the synthetic diversity of the soundscape of this song. This is a map that strives to be unpredictable, and in my opinion that's exactly what makes it so fun. On the other hand, so much of the playerbase is used to predictable mapping that it seems to have become some sort of requirement. If a map isn't FCable on the first try, people start having issues.

Why should a map be fully cleared on the first attempt? Demanding that inevitably demands that the map conform to a certain structure; specifically, the structure that players are used to playing through. This has the consequence of stifling innovation. Unfortunately, players aren't used to playing through every pattern in existence; when presented with something new, of course it's going to be unfamiliar for players, and unfamiliarity is after all the main cause of unreadability. But innovation, and unfamiliarity with it, are what keep gameplay from becoming boring and mundane.

ktgster wrote:

You also have to snap back and forth due to the sharp movement from (2) to the 4th (1's). Just gotta say, these are actually really annoying to play and feel forced down in the map for players to break. All the 1/4 jumps are not even as ridiculous as this. Remember that maps should always aim for the map to be readable and not have the person memorize.
Readability is always something to strive for, but in the end what matters is that the map is enjoyable. Like Hanzer said, this is a game first and foremost, and so mapping should always be focused on producing something fun, above all else. While perfectly readable maps could be fun in a sense, those are also typically the maps that people tend to play once and then forget about, leaving the map to forever languish in their ever-growing collection of play-once maps. After all, once you've completely conquered a map, there's not much incentive to go back and play through it again, unless you're just feeling the need to show off your skill to yourself or to others. Where's the fun in solving a puzzle when you already know the solution?

When a new map appears for ranking, players need to be less concerned about how FCable it is (i.e., how much PP they could reliably obtain from it) and more concerned about how fun and replayable it is. In terms of replayability, this map is unique and there's no other map that offers quite the same experience as this one does. That in itself leads to players playing this map over and over, just for that unique experience.

ktgster wrote:

IMO, this map is pretty ridiculous. It's creative and such, but you're basically forcing this creativity into this map. Due to this, you miss the whole point of playing the song. Right now, I could mute the song and the whole map would be no different than if I had the music turned on.
What? The map would be totally unplayable if you muted the music; please try it yourself.

Creativity in osu mapping is different from creativity in most other forms of art. While you are usually given free reign over your work in visual arts, music composition, or prose and poetry, mapping in osu will always be working within boundaries that have been defined by others (unless of course, you yourself composed the song that you're mapping). But I believe that these boundaries should not be viewed as strict limitations.

Too many mappers nowadays concern themselves only with what "makes sense with the music". While this is important (osu is a rhythm game of course), I don't think that it's the answer to every mapping scenario. After all, the majority of songs were not composed just to be mapped in osu. A mapper, whose primary concern should be in creating something that's enjoyable for players, should not be afraid to deviate from what "makes sense with the music" in order to produce something more conducive to fun. That's exactly what creativity is: anyone can take a song and make a map that fits the music; only a creative mapper can take a song, exceed the boundaries, and produce something that is unique and undeniably their own.

Judging from the comments, this map isn't fun for everyone. That's perfectly okay; a map doesn't have to be fun for the entire playerbase. Players aren't forced to play this map; there are plenty more maps out there to enjoy. But what's important is that this map offers a fresh and innovative experience, and that's definitely something that nobody can truly deny. Many players seem to enjoy this quite a bit; me being one of them, of course. I've never played anything quite like it.

If you force changes onto this map, you risk destroying exactly what makes this map a unique experience, and hence what makes this map a fun experience. This is a map that pushes boundaries. If you kill this map, you only make the walls harder to climb.
captin1
11t is a boss
Unsfamiliar

captin1 wrote:

11t is a boss
Mira-san

captin1 wrote:

11t is a boss
Loctav

11t wrote:

Judging from the comments, this map isn't fun for everyone. That's perfectly okay; a map doesn't have to be fun for the entire playerbase. Players aren't forced to play this map; there are plenty more maps out there to enjoy. But what's important is that this map offers a fresh and innovative experience, and that's definitely something that nobody can truly deny. Many players seem to enjoy this quite a bit; me being one of them, of course. I've never played anything quite like it.

If you force changes onto this map, you risk destroying exactly what makes this map a unique experience, and hence what makes this map a fun experience. This is a map that pushes boundaries. If you kill this map, you only make the walls harder to climb.
/thread

The map has been judged and approved by profenient mappers, modders and players. There is nothing unrankable present, there is nothing terrible present. The map is amazing as it is, even if it doesn't please the common generic boring irrelevant forced patterns.

I see no point in this discussion. Don't make me lock this :C
Natsu
really clean and awesome patterns, sadly I can't play it.. so hard to read :cry: , I need to improve my play skills... anyways congrats!
HappyStick
How do people get this upset over someone making a creative map...

I'm everything but knowledgeable about maps so viewing this from an outside perspective just makes me extremely sad. Dislike it? Sure, make it known through rating and a constructive comment, possibly even a snarky remark to BATs for accepting it. Hate it and it makes you mad at Hanzer personally, possibly even lashing out? Please, re-evaluate the issues you might be having on a personal level. It's a map, someone decided to be creative, like it or dislike it, leave it at that, especially in a public setting. Most reactions here are absolutely pathetic.

Hanzer, I personally do enjoy the map even though I only played it a couple of times so far ^^ Creativity is always welcome for me personally :D
GladiOol

Loctav wrote:

All I see is a good discussion going on. Two parties who are willing to discuss and critique elements in this map. Just because you are apparently incapable of seeing the ''point'', does not mean there is none. No need to unleash unneeded moderation here, let the discussion flow on. Same goes to Liiraye for calling everybody pathetic and douchebags. The true douchebag here is you for saying that.

I find it sad that this has to come from my mouth, because I'm a notorious jackass.
Jenny
*from my wonderfully written disqus post, maybe people will read it and not take it as polarized bullcrap as they like to:

• I have had a conversation with Scorpiour about the whole "mapping is art" mindset a while ago and what people seem to generally misunderstand is "following the song = not being individual/creative".
    The point is, you can be yourself and be creative, but please do it on songs that feature it and go well with it, not ones that you literally overlay with your map and leave barely anything left of -.mapping is 'art', but it is not on it's own; without the music, there would be no osu and there would be no maps, so if you really like the song you are mapping (which you should), you should also respect what it does and credit/feature the original artist's work with what you do.

You're not being a from-scratch creator here but an additive and (supposedly) complimenting composer - what you do is not completely independant of the song (or should not be, considering WHY WOULD YOU PICK IT THEN) and not a first-hand artform.
    If you want to fully and completely live out "your style" and "innovation", then you will have to create your own songs for that - you rely on artist's music, so you should at least have the decency to respect them and their work and not say "LOL FUCK U THIS IS THE INTERNET I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT LOL THIS IS MY STYLE WTF STOP KILL INOVATION LOL U GUYS SUCK TERRIBL COMUNITY!! OMG #MODHELP FUCKRSSSSSS" (like some people like to put it on occasions).

La Cataline did this even though she managed to go with the songs she was usually mapping very well and managed to fit her style to those, so if you REALLY want to be innovative and don't compromise about YOUR STYLE, then create something that is COMPLETELY your own work.

*Caps for emphasis.

Also, the main issues I have with this map are the calm parts where there's jumps and stacks without proper regards to the lyrics or pairings of notes or a seperated stream where there's no real pressure given for a jump (pairings okay, but not in a stream in a calm part..); the kiai parts are super hard (and frankly, freaky) but they suit the whole wubbing aspect relatively well, so there you go saying OMG JEN WHY YOU HATE HANZERS MAP WOEWEW$PÖH!"$P=!"H$OLÖIQWHBRAS)LF(OFHWARWARAWRL:AHRDIEUTRAPLOLXDXDXD "OLU$!H$%H"!$.

**I'm super good at writing.
Liiraye

GladiOol wrote:

Loctav wrote:

All I see is a good discussion going on. Two parties who are willing to discuss and critique elements in this map. Just because you are apparently incapable of seeing the ''point'', does not mean there is none. No need to unleash unneeded moderation here, let the discussion flow on. Same goes to Liiraye for calling everybody pathetic and douchebags. The true douchebag here is you for saying that.

I find it sad that this has to come from my mouth, because I'm a notorious jackass.
I assume you missed the mean comments all over the thread but mainly the discus and my point along with that. Else that wouldn't have been all you'd get out of my post.

Can't expect everyone to have compassion and respect to fellow mappers though. That would just be crazy right? Everyone should be allowed to humiliate and bash someones WORK and hobby without thinking twice, right?

'cuz iz theys opiniunnn h8rrr omg!!'

I still stand by my previous post.

I said douchebags to the people acting as such in the sense that they have no compassion about the fact that it's a guys hard work they're putting down in a very disrespectful way.

Vultures because just as such animals, people here are flocking to rip every shred of pride mappers have and back up eachothers biased bullshit that only serves their own egos as mappers, but also the players who feel it's a mappers obligation to please everybody.

Pathetic because people doesn't seem to have much of a problem with the above mentioned.
GladiOol
This is osu! mapping, not a life work somebody has put in his sweat, blood and tears for over a decade. But I get your point though. It's never nice to read something bad regarding your own map. But I'm sure everybody can read between the lines and not get mad over every little word. If agitation is what is created, then agitation is what will be expressed. It doesn't justify it, but it is understandable. Lewa's words were put in brackets to let everybody know to take with a huge grain of salt. Basically you'll have to read any post that I make inside of off-topic like that. Next to that, most arguments or criticism have not been refuted. They were mostly pushed aside.

But yeah, I'm now discussing a discussion. I can't sink any lower, je m'excuse. oui oui très bien.
ktgster

11t wrote:

What defines "proper usage of NCing"? For me, I believe that NCs are appropriate wherever the mapper feels that there is a separation between patterns. In this sense, I think that the NCing here works especially well; there's a lot of separation in patterns because the instrumentation shifts frequently and dramatically. The frequent NCs reinforce this aspect of the song.
So I guess NC's every 2 notes and adding unnecessary NC's are okay if the mapper allows it. Most of the NC's aren't even on instrumental shifts such as 03:34:993 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) which I hate to play. Buildup's don't need such excessive NCing anyways. In fact, most of these NC's are forced on more readability and not using the time signature to its full advantage.

11t wrote:

Please don't say that this has no thought behind them. For all you know, the mapper could have spent days on this single section.
Wouldn't this say that every section has the potential to have spent several days on every section in this map. I don't think its good when someone puts high and low spacing in the same section at random ticks.

11t wrote:

What do you mean by "the spacing should normally be smaller"? There's nothing wrong with not doing what "should normally be". The spacing here is totally readable and it's impossible to confuse this with another timing like, say, 1/2.
What I mean by normally smaller is NOT the playability but how the song should normally play out. There is no buildup, no strong beat indicator and you're first greeted with a short cooler after the kiai.

11t wrote:

There's a synth in the background that plays the same note at a 1/2 rhythm. I'm not Hanzer so I can't speak about his intentions, but the way I see it, the back and forth stacks here are meant to bring some of that repetitiveness to the player's attention; it's just exposing and focusing on another layer of the musical landscape of this section.
Changing musical landscape isn't something I like. In fact, that part is all 1/4 really and before, he mapped it using both the 1/4 symphony and the vocaloid. The change up isn't necessary.

11t wrote:

This is not a relaxing map to play through; it's a map full of diverse patterns which are supposed to capture the synthetic diversity of the soundscape of this song. This is a map that strives to be unpredictable, and in my opinion that's exactly what makes it so fun. On the other hand, so much of the playerbase is used to predictable mapping that it seems to have become some sort of requirement. If a map isn't FCable on the first try, people start having issues.

Why should a map be fully cleared on the first attempt? Demanding that inevitably demands that the map conform to a certain structure; specifically, the structure that players are used to playing through. This has the consequence of stifling innovation. Unfortunately, players aren't used to playing through every pattern in existence; when presented with something new, of course it's going to be unfamiliar for players, and unfamiliarity is after all the main cause of unreadability. But innovation, and unfamiliarity with it, are what keep gameplay from becoming boring and mundane.
Who said a map has to be FCable first try. All I said that it should aim for readability first try. That part is not something you can read by music but by reactions. Yes, it is not a relaxing map, but you're not considering the individual sections of the music. There is no need for 1/8 slider with 1/4 spacing when those 1/8's are quiet and the part before it doesn't a single 1/4 until the 2 sliders. On the playability side, you're doing an anti flow snap. You're also most likely to mash this part after the first try simply because its 1/8. If you're a tad too late, you break and it isn't easy when you have it spaced out like that.
03:43:629 (1,1,1,1) plays much better but still has that spacing issue and 03:58:175 (1,1,1,1) is the same as the first 1/8 slider stream.

If a player fails first attempt, it should be lack of skill and not needing near extreme human reactions. I wouldn't call these new patterns at all. Even if they were, they are nicely introduced at the beginning at the map making it not a problem. Forcing surprises isn't something that you should do.

11t wrote:

Readability is always something to strive for, but in the end what matters is that the map is enjoyable. Like Hanzer said, this is a game first and foremost, and so mapping should always be focused on producing something fun, above all else. While perfectly readable maps could be fun in a sense, those are also typically the maps that people tend to play once and then forget about, leaving the map to forever languish in their ever-growing collection of play-once maps. After all, once you've completely conquered a map, there's not much incentive to go back and play through it again, unless you're just feeling the need to show off your skill to yourself or to others. Where's the fun in solving a puzzle when you already know the solution?

When a new map appears for ranking, players need to be less concerned about how FCable it is (i.e., how much PP they could reliably obtain from it) and more concerned about how fun and replayable it is. In terms of replayability, this map is unique and there's no other map that offers quite the same experience as this one does. That in itself leads to players playing this map over and over, just for that unique experience.
I thought this was a rhythm game where you play the map to the song, not the map only. Is it bad that you can't follow the song to the extreme and still be unique to every other map out there. I know its suppose to be unique, but that doesn't mean you can break all the basics and do whatever you want to your hearts content. It also doesn't mean you should add parts that make the player break annoyingly.

ktgster wrote:

What? The map would be totally unplayable if you muted the music; please try it yourself.

Creativity in osu mapping is different from creativity in most other forms of art. While you are usually given free reign over your work in visual arts, music composition, or prose and poetry, mapping in osu will always be working within boundaries that have been defined by others (unless of course, you yourself composed the song that you're mapping). But I believe that these boundaries should not be viewed as strict limitations.
Unplayable, not even

So to be creative, you must go beyond that boundary. You can map anything you want, but if you're aiming for rank, you should map it according to the song. I'm pretty sure most of the songs can be mapped with a bit of creativity in mind and still aim for a unique experience without forcing surprises.

11t wrote:

Too many mappers nowadays concern themselves only with what "makes sense with the music". While this is important (osu is a rhythm game of course), I don't think that it's the answer to every mapping scenario. After all, the majority of songs were not composed just to be mapped in osu. A mapper, whose primary concern should be in creating something that's enjoyable for players, should not be afraid to deviate from what "makes sense with the music" in order to produce something more conducive to fun. That's exactly what creativity is: anyone can take a song and make a map that fits the music; only a creative mapper can take a song, exceed the boundaries, and produce something that is unique and undeniably their own.
Basically, playability > mapping to the song. This is a rhythm game with the elements of aiming. Maps these days force too much on their patterns usually resulting in ignoring important beats and forcing the player to go at the mappers rhythm and not the song. To exceed the boundaries does NOT mean you should ignore the song as I said before.

11t wrote:

It's fresh and new, but in return, you lose the feeling of the song. I know I am pointing to the song, but it is something big already. After all, a map can't exist without a song.

11t wrote:

Why would I kill this map. All I said was how I feel about the map and such. Its like every change made to the map would destroy that uniqueness and will always be replaced with something inferior. You should consider all criticisms you get and why they suggested that. When someone makes a point, its most likely not pointless to see why. You shouldn't ignore people, even when they are in a rage.

Liiraye: You're basically saying that the map is perfect right now and all the people bashing it are biased and should be ignored. When you have multiple people bashing a part, it probably needs to be changed. When it comes down to criticisms, hard work doesn't mean much.
dkun
let's try it this way then

edit: you don't need to PM someone else, two days is two days
thx for understanding hanzer
Topic Starter
HanzeR
Yay...

I'm more than happy to hear anyone's criticism, however it seems like too many people (admittedly on both sides) are under the impression that their opinions are the be-all-end-all of mapping, and anything that goes against these preconceived ideals is inherently wrong. Mapping is expression, and the effect of that expression is subjective. I found it harder and harder to write responses to these posts because it became more and more obvious that the people writing them weren't open to ideas that challenge their opinions.

I'm sorry if I wasn't successful in expressing the song to you, however if you're calling for this map to be unranked, I hope you can support yourself with objective reasons and not just what you think mapping should or should not be.
Vuelo Eluko
ah, the map that hath slain thelewa, and made him delete his twitch youtube and wipe his profile.
impressive work hanzer
it's fun to try to read this map.
Aurele
Thank you for bringing originality and creativity back.
silmarilen
this map is just perfect, it's like the song was made to have this map added to it. definetly one of the best things i've seen in osu.
izzydemon
i really like the map myself, though i kind of understand the problems people have with it
my hat goes off to you nevertheless
Irreversible

Gabe wrote:

Thank you for bringing originality and creativity back.
Heibel
It's really not that bad guys.

neurosis

Heibel wrote:

It's really not that bad guys.

mountain dew
Ephemeral
as controversial as this is, i think that the number of people who enjoy it and relish the challenge far outweigh the number of people who are enraged by it enough to vocally speak out over it. or not. who knows? the user rating will reflect what people feel about it, and people who do not like the map are not forced to play it. i think that taking a risk like this and putting something out there for people to play is a good thing - though it is important to note that not every map should be like this, nor should a map of this sort of difficulty/construction appear in a standard difficulty set. much like the pretender and other high tier outlier maps, these sorts of maps appear fairly infrequently and should probably continue to stay that way.

as for whether it'll get unranked or not, well, it came through unscathed from one of the hardest tests there is for a beatmap to pass - peppy's personal inspection. barely, mind you, but it made it, and it looks like it's here to stay. it's out of qualified after all, and the only person that can undo ranking as of now is peppy.
Shiro
THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION ABOUT THE MAP SO TAKE IT AS IT IS IT IS JUST MY OPINION
i dont really like this because i think its really overmapped (and by that i mean that its a lot harder than what i think the song calls for) and made for the sake of difficulty (maybe thats what you went for, its perfectly valid, i just dont like it), but this map deserves praise for the positive feedback it managed to get, so congratulations on that
ignore the haters, they are not going to teach you anything
i fail to see whats so creative about this either, this is just mainstream mapping to me, it doesnt bring anything new, its just a bunch of 1/4 or 1/8 sliders and broken spacing, like 99% of maps out there
i insist this is my opinion and nothing more so dont attack me for thinking that, im not attacking the mapper or anyone who likes the map

EDIT: forgot to say that i appreciate the structure in this map, although its a bit too repetitive to my taste, but its a good thing to see that some people are capable of putting structure in their work

only objective problem i have with this is 04:07:720 (1,1) - the second slider is entirely hidden under the first, i thought this kind of thing was unrankable since the ranking criteria does say that sliders must have a clear path from beginning to end and this one doesnt (and a number of other sliders do, too), please be more careful in the future

grats on the rank/approval and on making one of the most successful beatmaps so far
i foresee this top 10 in best of 2014
peppy
Here's my opinion on this map. Read it very carefully. I will hopefully find the time over the next few days to point out specific time areas which I have issues with (there are a lot), but as a preface, it has nothing to do with the difficulty of the map, and all my issues can be solved without affecting difficulty at all. UNLESS you are looking to add difficulty by purposely reducing readability and increasing overlap.

Let's first take a step back. Of all the rhythm games currently available in arcades, I have huge inspiration for the games which limit framing of notes and gameplay as a whole to ensure that maps – or more specifically individual notes/hitobjects – are consistently readable. Every arcade rhythm game (possibly with the exception of reflecbeat) has framing restrictions which ensure there is not overlapping or hiding of notes behind others.

Now go through this map (and many other recently maps) using the default skin (this is implied by ranking criteria and should be a given) and examine places where:

- Sliders are hidden behind other sliders, partially or wholly.
- Stacking is done manually in cases where automatic stacking would look better (minor spacing discrepancies as a result). This DOES NOT INCLUDE cases where custom directional stacking is used, as I agree that these are cool (as long as they are done at the correct spacing to match osu! stacking).
- Hit circles are hidden behind recent sliders.
- Sliders are made in shapes where the track overlaps itself, or the start and end circle overlap.
- Short repeating sliders overlap in a way that causes them to be very hard to read (this is a shortcoming which will be solved by hold notes ala osu!stream).

These are the only issues I have with this map. Otherwise it is amazing to watch played, and as rrtyui has shown, is within humanly achievable difficulty. We need this kind of map to allow people of this skill range to compete without hitting score caps. It is not overmapped in my eyes, and it sounds good and FEELS well-paced when coupled with the song. The only issue I have with hitsounds is the weird wub thing that made me think the mp3 was corrupted from the original, but I'll let that pass as a creative choice).

The bullet points cover my vision for how osu! can be mapped to be difficult, but in a conforming way that will be seen as acceptable to the masses. And will not affect difficulty. If they aren't clear enough let me know and I'll expedite a full mod post for this map.

Edit: Let me say that if I was to go through this map, it's going to be a LONG MOD POST. I would not rank it in its current state. The above bullet points expand into hundreds of (mostly) minor issues. Also 00:14:993 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) - does feel slightly overmapped (and the repeat of this pattern over the next few combos).
Vuelo Eluko

peppy wrote:

These are the only issues I have with this map. Otherwise it is amazing to watch played, and as rrtyui has shown, is within humanly achievable difficulty.
a bit confused what you mean by humanly achievable. as in, full combo? because there are people as low as 30k [at least that i've seen] in rank that can at least pass it. Not comparing this example to maps like Airman, in which the case is only the same because of the abysmally low drain. That's not the same on this map.

If it wasn't 'humanly achievable' to obtain a full combo [if rrtyui hadn't done it] WOULD it be taken into consideration to unrank it? Because there's a few maps ranked that have no full combo's already but i'd still consider 'humanly achievable'. and I don't think a map being unable for the current roster of top players to FC should be discouraged from being ranked. Why if anything, maps like that should be encouraged to be made and approved.... SO LONG as they don't go the same route this one went and are only so because they are hard to read, rather than having an extremely high requirement for aim, speed, and accuracy.

I think the only time a map can be called beyond achievable is if the entire top 50 is half time or nofail and not a single nomod pass can be seen. This is almost true for some tag4's, actually...

i look forward to see it modded. Maybe Lewa will come back then. I'm not disagreeing that this map shouldnt be ranked, just nitpicking at your post. It's a work of art and even if it's taken down and modded I'll keep the old version. 8-)
peppy
Take that particular statement with a grain of salt. I didn't mean for it to have any weight, and assumed people have issues with this due to difficulty (that would be my primary concern when viewing it for ranking).

And there is no reason you would keep a version before I edited it, because mine would look better in every way.
Chloe
Vuelo Eluko
it's a bit of a sensitive topic, a lot of the frustration seems to be sorrounding the unreadability of it, because the relative difficulty of this map is so low to a lot of players that it's upsetting them that they can't get bigger combos on it. That it challenges them in a way they aren't used to. In a sense, it's progressive to keep it around because those players who are so good will expand their reading ability by playing it and not just their technical ability since this map is so unique like that.. then again on the other side of the fence there's people that offer good reasons why it shouldn't be ranked that don't even infringe on the fact that it's unique. like it being overmapped at points for one, or things overlapping.

But I have a question, if some type of pattern or placement in a map is 100% impossible to read with the osu! classic skin due to overlapping or some such other reason, and only completable by memory, but possible [though still quite hard] with the custom skins 90% of players utilize, is that alone reason enough to unrank it immediately?
Myxo
It makes me so sad reading this top ;w; Imagine you were HanzeR and you were bashed with those comments... It would be pretty frustrating, wouldn't it?

You finally map for yourself, not for others, or do you? And if he likes it like that, he should do it. And if he wants to rank it like that, he should do it, as long as there are no unrankable issues, which are obviously not, as all these patterns (or similar ones) can be found in other ranked maps. If you don't like it, don't play it.
silmarilen

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

But I have a question, if some type of pattern or placement in a map is 100% impossible to read with the osu! classic skin due to overlapping or some such other reason, and only completable by memory, but possible [though still quite hard] with the custom skins 90% of players utilize, is that alone reason enough to unrank it immediately?
im pretty sure a map like that wouldnt even get qualified in the first place, and if it did the person that qualified it would be in trouble
Vuelo Eluko

Desperate-kun wrote:

It makes me so sad reading this top ;w; Imagine you were HanzeR and you were bashed with those comments... It would be pretty frustrating, wouldn't it?

You finally map for yourself, not for others, or do you? And if he likes it like that, he should do it. And if he wants to rank it like that, he should do it, as long as there are no unrankable issues, which are obviously not, as all these patterns (or similar ones) can be found in other ranked maps. If you don't like it, don't play it.
i think a lot of the issue is that many people dont think its mapped to the song well enough
shARPII
Hey, just wanted to add some little things!

First of all, gratz Hanzer for your map being approved, I hope you'll be able to carry your map even higher.
I'll try to give my impression about what happened and my feeling about some parts in your beatmap.

I was pretty sad to see some people saying the map was bad (or insults.) without giving any arguments but it was the same for people who were talking about 'art' and saying bullshit like "if you can't read it, you're bad."
I think everybody noticed that you wanted to do something fun and unusual to play. For me, you reached this objective but there is some things which I disagree in your beatmap. I think peppy pointed out very well the problems.

You've some parts which are soooooo fun to play like the second kiai's beginning (03:38:629) which may be hard but it's readable.
Nevertheless, there are some other parts which are really weird imo. You're doing weird stackings sometimes like 04:14:993 (1,1,2,1,2,3,1,2) - (moreover, you're using double on this pattern which is even harder to read but I'll talk about this in my second part).

I think you've did a good/really good job with this map, but I just feel you killed all your work by trying to increase the difficulty with things which are unreadable (or really hard to read). It may comes from 3 things : stacking, really high spacing, double hit circles.
peppy resumed for stacking and high spacing so let's talk about double hit circles.

Generally, I love doubles but here, I just don't like it sometimes. I remember the one of fanzhen's map (http://osu.ppy.sh/b/261524 [Another]) in the first 10 seconds. It's a little bit the same principle but there is two things which allow this to be readable.
- The spacing isn't so high (I mean x0.2 to x2.3, it hurts a lot). The spacing in the timeline is the same so, for me, it shouldn't be like that.
- There is a flow here which isn't the case on your map. Things like 00:51:811 (1,2,1,2) - or 03:53:629 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) - is 'ok' for me, 02:33:629 (1,2,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,4) - this isn't. And even more because 02:35:220 (3,4) - is the same thing that your double but with high spacing. I know that if some guys are doing this on their map, they're just insulted by modders x)

Anyway, I'm waiting to see what will be ppy's mod :3 I'll be happy if you answer to my post (when you'll be able to post lelelel :p) to know exactly your feelings about it. I'm definitely looking forward to this and be able to discover soon a really good map. GL.
Vuelo Eluko
the magic of no stack leniency
captin1
Broccoly
^
Mismagius

captin1 wrote:

blah
Why are you acting like we're saying "boohoo, this is different and this is why I hate it, I want everything to keep exactly as we always do"? Most people here who complain about the map quality have brought their own points. Saying that kind of stuff only makes you look like you aren't paying attention to the discussion and that you're desperately trying to defend the map/mapper in every possible way.

Repeating my already-said-enough-times opinion about this map: kudos to the mapper for being original and creative; I don't think the map's unreadable, but I extremely dislike the usage of 1/4 inconsistent jumps; not my kind of map, but still not unrankable in any way.

Please keep the discussion healthy and stop making useless posts of "11t is god" or "^".
captin1
I wasn't trying to imply that any particular person was talking about the map in the way you suggested, but I still think that it is a very thought provoking case that does ring true in the reaction to the map.
Vuelo Eluko
isnt it a bit pointless to try to mod since the creator seems to have been ripped a new one
or at least wait a while, and spend some time fine tuning them
Zare
"within humanly achievable limits"
Eh
This map has a star rating of 3.45, it's not even an Expert difficulty map, of course it's within humanly achievable limits. The reason there's only one FC is because it's a a really long map. Give it some time, the scoreboard will get more and more FCs over time.
show more