forum

modding/mapping experience

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
zezi
been thinking of starting a modding queue cuz helping people is cool but not sure how experienced someone should be in mapping before trying to give mods

probably wouldn't give advice on anything im not confident in but i figured id ask, how much experience in mapping should someone have before opening a mod queue?
lewski
trying to quantify mapping experience sounds super useless for determining whether u can start a mod q

all i can rly say is that knowing how to mod would help with starting one but most queue owners kinda cant mod either so who cares
Jason X
There is no requirement to start a modding queue, most queue's were started by people without any experience in modding, myself included.
Of course experience would help you getting started, but as long as you do mention that you're a beginner you should be good.

If you have a friend who has a modding queue, you could ask someone if you could join their queue to see if it works out for you.
Sort of a "trainee" situation.
Also works with other modders who aren't in your friend group, but might be a bit more difficult to get in that way.

You could just look into some queues, and look up the latest requests they got, then try to mod that without announcing yourself.
(I sometimes do that when I got some time to spare + I'm bored)
The #modreqs (in-game channel) also exists, and is used to request mods from anyone who's looking at the channel.
(You can also open the channel in your browser chats, so you don't need to stay online in the game to see messages of that channel)

If you need help setting up a queue, or need some useful tips for it let me know.
(Also, if you wanna try modding in someone else's queue you can also ask me, wouldn't be the first time I had a "mentee" in my queue)
Topic Starter
zezi

lewski wrote:

trying to quantify mapping experience sounds super useless for determining whether u can start a mod q
yeah i guess that makes sense if i think about it lol, thanks!

Jason X wrote:

If you have a friend who has a modding queue, you could ask someone if you could join their queue to see if it works out for you.
Sort of a "trainee" situation.
Also works with other modders who aren't in your friend group, but might be a bit more difficult to get in that way.

You could just look into some queues, and look up the latest requests they got, then try to mod that without announcing yourself.
(I sometimes do that when I got some time to spare + I'm bored)
The #modreqs (in-game channel) also exists, and is used to request mods from anyone who's looking at the channel.
(You can also open the channel in your browser chats, so you don't need to stay online in the game to see messages of that channel)

If you need help setting up a queue, or need some useful tips for it let me know.
(Also, if you wanna try modding in someone else's queue you can also ask me, wouldn't be the first time I had a "mentee" in my queue)
thank you for the suggestions and the offer! :) i think ill try looking in other queue's recent posts for maps to mod for now, or in #modreqs, for now