forum

osu! wont let me transfer Beatmaps Via USB

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Intuitx
Problem details:
Whenever I transferred all of my beatmaps to a USB as I was transferring them to a new computer, the new PC would not recognize the beat maps and gave me the error posted in the Screenshot below. All Files are also shown as a blank page icon within my Songs folder in osu! section in files. I adjusted manually to open everything with osu! as far as the beatmaps and it keeps giving me this error code when trying to use the beatmaps I transferred

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
I could not figure out how to upload a screen shot but the exact error it states is "osu! does not know how to deal with this file type" followed by the location of the file.
osu! version: Stable 20240123 (latest)
Jason X
In what format did you copy the beatmaps to your USB?

In order for osu (stable) to open a file it needs to be in either .osz (mapsets) or .osk (skins)
(Not counting dragging music files in, as this simply creates a blank map)

Lazer can also open the above, in addition to the .olz (lazer mapset).
Note: .olz files can not be opened by the stable client

In case you copied your beatmaps in form of folders (screenshot), simply locate the songs folder of your new osu instal and paste the folders there.
Stable: In the game settings, in the category "Updates", you will find a button to open the install folder location.
Lazer: The file system is different from stable, therefore the "songs folder" doesn't exist, you can import them from stable through the quick setup/setup wizard (options), as suggested there (post 4/5)

Tipp for future problems:
Regarding the screenshot: You can simply use snipping tool (build in in windows, works best if osu is in windowed mode),and then upload the screenshot externally, for example in Discord, Google Drive, etc., then simply share the link.

I hope this solves your issue, if not let us know.
Topic Starter
Intuitx

Jason X wrote:

In what format did you copy the beatmaps to your USB?

In order for osu (stable) to open a file it needs to be in either .osz (mapsets) or .osk (skins)
(Not counting dragging music files in, as this simply creates a blank map)

Lazer can also open the above, in addition to the .olz (lazer mapset).
Note: .olz files can not be opened by the stable client

In case you copied your beatmaps in form of folders (screenshot), simply locate the songs folder of your new osu instal and paste the folders there.
Stable: In the game settings, in the category "Updates", you will find a button to open the install folder location.
Lazer: The file system is different from stable, therefore the "songs folder" doesn't exist, you can import them from stable through the quick setup/setup wizard (options), as suggested there (post 4/5)

Tipp for future problems:
Regarding the screenshot: You can simply use snipping tool (build in in windows, works best if osu is in windowed mode),and then upload the screenshot externally, for example in Discord, Google Drive, etc., then simply share the link.

I hope this solves your issue, if not let us know.
Thats excatly what I did in order to transfer my files, Basically copied the songs folder from my old computer and applied it my USB then applied it into my new songs folder on my new PC. As far as the files, All of the beatmaps are shown as an OSU file, is this correct?
Jason X

Intuitx wrote:

All of the beatmaps are shown as an OSU file
I'm not exactly sure what files you mean :?
If they look like those for example (screenshot below) then they can be placed within their respektive folders

(I don't know why it says "osu beatmap" on the skin file, just ingore that)
>> .osz goes to the Songs folder
>> .osk goes to the Skins folder
If done like that the game will process them automatically the next time you open it.
If it's a different file type please tell me which one (file endeing like above), so I can advise on how to procees with it.

This is what I mean by transerinf into the Songs folder (screenshot).
If you got a Songs folder within a Songs folder, osu can't process it, since it only one folder deep to look for the beatmap files.
Topic Starter
Intuitx

Jason X wrote:

Intuitx wrote:

All of the beatmaps are shown as an OSU file
I'm not exactly sure what files you mean :?
If they look like those for example (screenshot below) then they can be placed within their respektive folders

(I don't know why it says "osu beatmap" on the skin file, just ingore that)
>> .osz goes to the Songs folder
>> .osk goes to the Skins folder
If done like that the game will process them automatically the next time you open it.
If it's a different file type please tell me which one (file endeing like above), so I can advise on how to procees with it.

This is what I mean by transerinf into the Songs folder (screenshot).
If you got a Songs folder within a Songs folder, osu can't process it, since it only one folder deep to look for the beatmap files.
Seriously, Thank you for your help! apparently while transferring Files I had to actively have osu! open and running but I was able to get everything tranferred over. Thank you so much!