forum

[Archived] osu!lazer wont open on Linux.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jeff2345
I am using Linux Mint xfce 21.3 on both my laptop and my desktop on my desktop it works fine but on my laptop it doesn't start I am using the offical appimage from Github my desktop computer is an newer computer from 2020 but my laptop is an older Dell LATITUDE E6410ATG computer from 2010 its 64 bit though and stable worked and ran fine back when I was running Windows7.
sineplusx
My first guess just by looking at the hardware of your laptop is that it does not meet the minimum hardware requirements to run osu!lazer. The requirements are not written down anywhere, but for the Linux version you need a graphics card supporting OpenGL 3.2 or higher. By looking at this table the iGPU of your processor only supports OpenGL 2.1. See also https://github.com/ppy/osu/issues/22966

You can confirm this in the log files. They are usually located at ~/.local/share/osu/logs/. The runtime.log are the important ones, you can post the content of the last log file here if its not too long.

Even if you got it to run somehow, it would probably not perform very well to be playable. This is due to the increased rendering workload and complexity in comparison to stable. If you really want to get it running just for fun, you can try with this environment variable: LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 ./osu.AppImage
Topic Starter
Jeff2345
I looked at the logs and it said it couldn't find a render, I tried the environment variable and that worked albeit the game ran at 10fps still better than my phone lol.
sineplusx
Well, that confirms it. The reason why it runs so bad with the environment variable is because it forces software rendering on the CPU instead of the integrated GPU (which is incompatible). There is sadly not much you can do to make it run better.