forum

New BN System Proposal - Empower those capable Old BNs and ALMs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and
I’d like to suggest an alternative approach to address the current osu! Beatmap Nominator (BN) workload issue. Currently, BNs are under considerable pressure to juggle their real-life responsibilities with their osu! duties. (While there are those who believe the stress is manageable, it’s undeniable that individuals often face challenging life circumstances.)

Facing the reality of map ranking can be quite challenging unless you’re a BN. As a BN, you’re inundated with requests to rank others’ mapsets while trying to meet your BN duties, leaving you with little time to map or enjoy the game. What if the solution was to increase the number of BNs? This way, the workload could be distributed more evenly, resulting in fewer requests per BN and a more manageable experience.

Why not expand the BN team to 200 or even more for the osu! standard mode? One reason might be the challenge osu! staff face in managing a large team.

My New BN System Proposal:

We could reintroduce tiered BNs, similar to the past, but with a twist:
  1. Tier 1 BNs would be endorsed by the mapping community rather than managed by osu! staff. Any retired BN who has maintained good conduct should be eligible for Tier 1 status upon request. Alternatively, they could toggle their Tier 1 status on their profile page. This list would serve as a community endorsement rather than an obligation and would be subject to community review, akin to voting for mapper’s choice awards.
  2. Eligible individuals would be notified that community recognition has qualified them as Tier 1 nominators, and they could toggle this status on their user page (with a one-month cooldown for changes). There’s no requirement to nominate maps to maintain this status, but it will automatically toggle off if no nominations are made within two months.
  3. Our goal is to re-engage former BNs and skilled mappers in the nomination process, thereby alleviating the burden on the current osu! staff-managed BNs. While saying this may be controversial, I believe that the standards of many former BNs surpass those of the current ones. Their involvement would only enhance the quality of ranked beatmaps. This group could potentially grow to 200 or more members and wouldn’t require direct management by osu! staff—let the community take the lead! The veterans who have graduated and remained active are invaluable to this game; let’s empower them to contribute to osu!'s improvement. Their energy may differ from their school days, but their expertise is timeless.
  4. Existing osu! staff-managed BNs would be elevated to Tier 2 BNs, tasked with verifying the Ranking Criteria, metadata, and more, thus completing the nomination process with reduced stress—perhaps two nominations per month would suffice.
  5. Given the reduced oversight osu! staff would have over Tier 1 BNs, I propose requiring two Tier 1 BNs for each game mode, followed by one Tier 2 BN to finalize the nomination process. For hybrid sets, Tier 2 BNs should seek confirmation from another Tier 2 BN of referred game mode, mitigating most risks.
  6. Edit: Regards to yaspo's post, I propose an additional status within the ranking process: “Qualified for Review.”. When a mapset accumulates two tier 1 BN nominations, it will enter the “Qualified for Review” status and remain there for at least one month, subject to community review, then move to ranked if no issue is present. Alternatively, if a tier 2 BN is involved, this period will be shortened to one week, similar to the current practice.
  7. I urge the osu! staff to motivate tier 2 BNs to actively participate in reviewing these sections. Such involvement would not only count towards their contributions but also elevate the caliber of ranked maps.
Facing Reality: The mobile gaming market is expanding. osu! competes with other games and platforms, and excluding our best mappers and nominators from the nomination process could lead to a gradual decline. Let’s adapt and keep osu! thriving.

Despite knowing that this post might not capture widespread attention, and acknowledging that the methods to re-engage former BNs and ALMs in mapping and nomination could vary, I remain optimistic about osu!'s future. Next month marks my 13th anniversary with osu!, and it’s my sincere hope to witness the game’s continued improvement and growth over next 13 years.
wrn81056
I think this is a good idea, kudos to you, but maybe ex bns should be more like tier 2, the time they understand the new criteria
and for the community endorsed, it should be only something for like mappers of the same mode and that have at least a ranked map
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

wrn81056 wrote:

I think this is a good idea, kudos to you, but maybe ex bns should be more like tier 2, the time they understand the new criteria
The real issue is that most old guys do not have the energy to nominate every month, or even keep activity every month, but their expertise is timeless, we can "squeeze out" their expertise when they get vacations or holidays.
mapping
there should definitely be a lot more BNs since it'd definitely spread the workload out across more people, giving each BN less stress and maps to look through, mod, etc., though I think it's definitely better also being more simple, either being BN or not, and introducing tiers of BNs is unneeded complications. Could still work out well, just my opinion though.
ikin5050
my thoughs on this

This just sounds overcomplicated and like it would actually increase the amount of work that needs done per map, whilst reducing standards enforced. Sure you would increase this hypothetical teams size but by having more work needing done per map is it truly worth it? Community support also does not correspond to actual skill/reliability and especially with your proposal of Tier 1 BNs being less managed would only open the door to abuse and circlejerking without consequence.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

capr wrote:

there should definitely be a lot more BNs since it'd definitely spread the workload out across more people, giving each BN less stress and maps to look through, mod, etc., though I think it's definitely better also being more simple, either being BN or not, and introducing tiers of BNs is unneeded complications. Could still work out well, just my opinion though.
if you have more than 300 (only STD BNs) members to manage, that prob won't work out for the osu! staff anyways :/

ikin5050 wrote:

This just sounds overcomplicated
I agree, but everyone can discuss how to improve this. I am pretty sure the goal is to improve ranked sets quality, reduce stress on BNs, and keep old mappers and BNs active. we should not waste those ALMs, if they have skills, and they want to participate in the community, we should give them a shortcut.
yaspo
It seems very likely, or even intended, that there will be a lot more Tier 1 members than Tier 2 members. This would be simply due to having an open endorsement process adding more and more members, of which not everyone gets picked up by the more specific selection for Tier 2.

Since Tier 2 BNs are required for the finalization step, this creates a bottleneck in ranking maps that is frustrating for all layers.

1. Tier 2 BNs will be outnumbered and have to deal with constant high demands. They also will have to clean up after Tier 1 BNs in case their contribution to a map was unsatisfying.
  2. Tier 1 BNs will feel like only a fraction of their nominations get ranked, reducing the value of their work and still leaving them rather powerless
  3. Mappers will feel like having 1 nomination means that they should get the other, even though Tier 2 BNs might not be interested in their maps
These things have been experienced during the previous Tier system, and there's no clear answer on how to resolve these issues here

I do appreciate the vision, it would be awesome if mapping systems could expand alongside osu's growth as a whole
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

yaspo wrote:

It seems very likely, or even intended, that there will be a lot more Tier 1 members than Tier 2 members. This would be simply due to having an open endorsement process adding more and more members, of which not everyone gets picked up by the more specific selection for Tier 2.

Since Tier 2 BNs are required for the finalization step, this creates a bottleneck in ranking maps that is frustrating for all layers.
Yes, you are right, I can see your point. If I continue to improve my thoughts on addressing this problem (which seems complicated already), I propose an additional status within the ranking process: “Qualified for Review.”. When a mapset accumulates two tier 1 BN nominations, it will enter the qualified status and remain there for at least one month, subject to community review. Alternatively, if a tier 2 BN is involved, this period will be shortened to one week, similar to the current practice.

These sets will be categorized into currently qualified sections, the only difference is that it will stay there for longer.

I urge the osu! staff to motivate tier 2 BNs to actively participate in reviewing these “Qualified for Review” sets. Such involvement would not only count towards their contributions but also elevate the caliber of ranked maps. This initiative aims to foster a more collaborative mapping community, where open discussion and collective enhancement of mapping practices are encouraged, moving away from the transactional exchange of nominations.