forum

[added] [Proposal] Allow romanization of “е” as “yo” when it is used as “ё”

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shmiklak
Russian language has a very weird thing that allows letter "ё" to be written as "е" for simplification and stylization while still being the same letter, however it is not considered in metadata standardizations at all. This brings us to a problem where words that are originally using "ё" but are spelled with "е" cannot be romanised properly due to the way we currently handle such cases.

An example of such case would be this song that is generally interpreted as "всё для тебя", however due to stylization reasons it is spelled as "все для тебя" which would be romanised as "vse dlya tebya" instead of "vsyo dlya tebya" which is an actual correct form of this word that is originally intended.

Taking this into consideration I have the following proposal:

1. Songs with Russian/Cyrillic metadata are to be romanised using the BGN/PCGN system method in romanised fields. The same applies to the Source field if a romanised Source is preferred by the mapper.
    1. Е and е should be romanised as ye if it stands alone or after aeёиоуыэюяйъь. In other cases, it should be romanised as e.
    2. ё should be romanised to yo, however, use o if the character comes after жчш, or щ.
    3. е can be romanised as yo in cases where it is used instead of ё for stylization reasons. Whenever ё exists in any metadata field the alternative spelling should be added to tags to allow both ways of searching.
    4. Ignore any other rules in the file provided, as these are either irrelevant or would not help in the game. For most of the other characters, refer to the first page of this document.

Will be glad to hear more feedback on this matter.
Ryxliee
A good adjustment to help make the Russian romanization clearer and more correct
defreeyay
i agree
Okoratu
can we just include this in the open draft? I think no russian expert was involved with making it and we just used the current RC as a base for it
Kudou Chitose
i agree with the proposal; the example is exceptionally good as well, since 'всё' and 'все' are actually two different words

(i wish all russians just used ё all the time like we use й but that's yet another fantasy dream of mine...)
Topic Starter
Shmiklak

Okoratu wrote:

can we just include this in the open draft? I think no russian expert was involved with making it and we just used the current RC as a base for it
That would be great, though I am not sure if this is a good idea to bring new allowances without approving them first, since your draft mainly focuses on improving whatever we have already (may probably need NAT input at that point?) I will contact you later and also take a look if there are any changes or examples required in the existing draft.
Noffy
I think it's well reasoned and formatted, it shouldn't be difficult to add to the open draft. As russian speakers agree I don't see why not. We have a number of other changes in it as well to help cover existing RC gaps on top of the reformatting.
Froskya
+1
Okoratu
hi, i think we incorporated this into community/forums/topics/1894663?n=1; can you doublecheck?
Topic Starter
Shmiklak
seems fine to me, unless we missed some edge case with romanisation of the symbol in question
Okoratu