forum

Approved maps should come back

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bbbprooooo
Ik this is a hot take but i feel like approved maps should come back.

Maps like The Unforgiving should be approved as they list every song in a Songs Compilation.
But that map is old, (like 2012 old.) and i think maps like that don't get ranked. or approved anymore. (some get loved, but its generally not song compilations and more very long songs, like this map for example. also, for context. Approved maps give you pp) but also, i think approved maps should be like a better loved. Like it should be maps that are rankable, but have something that makes it unrankable (besides breaking rules/guidelines.) like a speed spread (such as this map) and maps that list parts/songs in a songs compilation (like The Unforgiving.) Theres also TAG maps that get "approved" but the TAG map is usally loved (acceptions being this map and i think 1 more) If i have more to say, ill surley add it here, and if you don't agree, that's fine. we all have opinions and perspectives on things, thats when makes us human.
[TCD] Dzar03
bump

Im kinda wanna know what are the differents between Approved maps with others and why Approved maps are no longer avaliable
Topic Starter
bbbprooooo

[TCD] Dzar03 wrote:

bump

Im kinda wanna know what are the differents between Approved maps with others and why Approved maps are no longer avaliable
approved maps was basically loved but you can get pp from it. I think it was removed because alot of maps under rankability were getting approved and NAT didnt like that. but im not sure.

(ill be doing my own research on this topic to back up my evidence, so ill be able to awnser it soon)
Yoisaki Kanade
When approved was needed, there was no pp system / it was less important, which made score the most important part in leaderboards. Approved maps have very high combo counts due to length, which gave a lot of score under scorev1 which was why they get approved instead of ranked (they don’t contribute to ranked score)

Since pp is the main thing deciding skill now there’s little use for approved.
Topic Starter
bbbprooooo

5pointrekt wrote:

When approved was needed, there was no pp system / it was less important, which made score the most important part in leaderboards. Approved maps have very high combo counts due to length, which gave a lot of score under scorev1 which was why they get approved instead of ranked (they don’t contribute to ranked score)

Since pp is the main thing deciding skill now there’s little use for approved.
oh alr thx.
BlueChinchompa

bbbprooooo wrote:

Maps like The Unforgiving should be approved as they list every song in a Songs Compilation.
But that map is old, (like 2012 old.) and i think maps like that don't get ranked. or approved anymore.
Whats the problem with the unforgiving?
Topic Starter
bbbprooooo

BlueChinchompa wrote:

bbbprooooo wrote:

But that map is old, (like 2012 old.) and i think maps like that don't get ranked. or approved anymore.
Whats the problem with the unforgiving?
nothing really. the map just doesn't live up to todays standards because old maps are usually known for the maps being unrankable/weird for modern players
[-Omni-]
why did approved maps even exist? i feel like there isnt much need for them
lewski

[-Omni-] wrote:

why did approved maps even exist? i feel like there isnt much need for them
initially the point was to promote hard maps that couldn't be ranked because of the 20 million score cap in the ranking criteria

then, after that purpose became obsolete, approved became the place for >5min maps without spreads

eventually, the system was streamlined to allow those maps to be ranked instead, so approved lost its purpose

as for what OP wants the section to do now, I have no idea
RemmyX25
oh man i might actually be able to have some insight on this one.

way back when, after the original rankability guidelines started coming out, there existed a few maps that would not have passed general rankability, but still had its fans and people wanted to give them their own leaderboard. first one that comes to mind is Nico Nico Douga - U.N. Owen was Her mapped by Reikin. This map in NO WAY shape or form would be ranked properly, but there were people still trying to get the top score from it. Making the "Approved" category seemed like a way to let those who wanted this map for the scoreboard and not care for ranked score still have their fun and try to one-up each other.

Another example are the marathon maps, such as Nico Nico Douga - Ryuuseigun mapped by peppy which, if it was allowed in the ranked category, would BREAK the leaderboards significantly due to its 13 min length, so it was kept out of ranked scores but still allowed for a leaderboard.

The last one that springs to mind was Rihanna - Disturbia mapped by Larto. Considered to be more of an art piece than a traditional map, this map had a lot of love and fans but due to its storyboarding and artistic vision, could not be considered rankable.

TLDR; maps that would have broken Ranked Scoring/not technically rankable but people still considered "fun" for one reason or another