forum

[added] Add exception to extended edit if it recreates a full version faithfully

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Okoayu
Let's walk through an example:

-> LILIUM's full version has never been released, but it has played in the show
=> current logic would make the fan-recreation of the fullversion an extended edit instead of just "LILIUM"
=> I don't think this is accurate to do in this case as the extension wasn't made to make a longer song, but was made to just have the same song that was used in the show
==> cases like this should be considered the original they're trying to recreate as that is the goal here
==> in this particular case you could also claim TV Size as it is recreating the song that played in ep13 of the show but as it is also the opening that line of logic would get very very weird very very quickly so let's ... not

anyways here's the idea:
from current cut version marker:
"Songs that are shortened in ways that nearly match their official versions, and songs that are a full loop of a looping track will not be considered cut."

Current
Unofficial extended versions of songs must add an (Extended Edit) marker at the end of the current title. If a length marker is already in the title of the track, (Extended Edit) would replace it. This is to distinguish unofficial extended versions of a song from official extended versions.

Unofficial extended versions of songs must add an (Extended Edit) marker at the end of the current title. If a length marker is already in the title of the track, (Extended Edit) would replace it. This is to distinguish unofficial extended versions of a song from official extended versions. This does not apply to songs that are extended in order to match an official version.

If you want to merge the last two sentences i'm open to suggestions. I tried for 10 minutes and thought the effort isn't worth it as anything i had come up with was making it more confusing
Noffy
Since this case not being covered feels more like a missing area than anything, I think it would be a good addition
clayton
i dont have a strong opinion but it makes sense to me and I think how you wrote it is good as-is
SaltyLucario
hell yes
Walavouchey
to me this makes no sense. an extended/recreated version is not the original so it should have some distinction
aceticke

Walavouchey wrote:

to me this makes no sense. an extended/recreated version is not the original so it should have some distinction
this already is in place for cut ver which matches the tv size/short ver.

as long as it matches up im for this
clayton
^ i initially had same reaction as walavouchey, but ya turns out it's basically same as rule that comes before it, so that part is okay to me as well
Ryu Sei
I don't see why not. This is good.
I AM VERY SMART
it might be a dumb question but why not just use the official version instead of shortening an unofficial extended version in order to match the official one?
Ryu Sei
That might be conflict of interest. Also, it doesn't always need to shorten the unofficial extended version, it can be modified in a way it recreates the intended full version, as per the OP mentioned.
lewski

Anaxii wrote:

it might be a dumb question but why not just use the official version instead of shortening an unofficial extended version in order to match the official one?
the entire point is to accommodate cases where u dont have access to the official version at a reasonable quality or at all
I AM VERY SMART

Ryu Sei wrote:

That might be conflict of interest. Also, it doesn't always need to shorten the unofficial extended version, it can be modified in a way it recreates the intended full version, as per the OP mentioned.
so the unofficial extended version could stay longer than the official version but with modifications and it would be good?

lewski wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

the entire point is to accommodate cases where u dont have access to the official version at a reasonable quality or at all
yeah so basically a conflict of interest.
App

Anaxii wrote:

so the unofficial extended version could stay longer than the official version but with modifications and it would be good?
what kind of modifications? if you are referring to a completely different mix then this wouldn't even fall under extended edit. in this particular case the song has never officially released, somebody made an edit that sounds exactly like the original (which can be heard during an episode in the anime) and since it sounds the exact same why wouldn't it have the official titling? it's not a remix by any means, just a carefully executed recreation of the original with no distinguishable differences. although cases like these basically never happen this edit in rc would prevent further confusion if something like this ever happens again lol
I AM VERY SMART

App wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

what kind of modifications? if you are referring to a completely different mix then this wouldn't even fall under extended edit. in this particular case the song has never officially released, somebody made an edit that sounds exactly like the original (which can be heard during an episode in the anime) and since it sounds the exact same why wouldn't it have the official titling? it's not a remix by any means, just a carefully executed recreation of the original with no distinguishable differences. although cases like these basically never happen this edit in rc would prevent further confusion if something like this ever happens again lol
was talking about modifications in order to match the official version of course.

honestly, as aceticke said, as long as it matches up it wouldn't hurt!
Jemzuu
I personally wasn't familiar with this rule, so pardon me for asking clarifications regarding the fundamentals of it but some official sources make use of '(Extended Edit)' as a marker for their officially extended song versions such as this one popular song by Dua Lipa or this kamome sano song. wouldn't it make more sense to use '(Extended Bootleg)' instead as bootleg is a legit term for audio products defining as: `an unofficial version that is not sanctioned by the original creators and/or a publisher.` or quite frankly '(Unofficial Extended Ver.)' would provide better clarity.

I think renaming it to either would better distinguish stuff from unofficial versions and not. although I think this wouldn't be an issue if there was a standardisation rule for extended vers in general like bc even tho some artists make use of 'Cut Ver.' officially, we have a standardisation for official shorter versions which is 'Short Ver.'

but as of rn it is still not clear whether it's official or not (unless standardisation for official extended vers exist) bc artists do make use of 'extended edit' as a marker officially
Topic Starter
Okoayu
any of the markers like tv size, cut version extended edit etc. can already come up in native song titles, artists can also just troll re-release stuff and there's no real way around that. You'd need to know what the artist is going to do years down the line when checking metadata which is obviously impossible

the standardizations aim to have a unified marker for the version as well as having a standard for doing things to begin with, but obviously the artist of the song can mess around with the same words and there's nothing to really be done about it

the original rationale for having extended edit over extended bootleg is in community/forums/topics/1750611?n=1
Topic Starter
Okoayu
Topic Starter
Okoayu
clayton
merged