forum

Taiko Playstyle

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
unao
i dont really know what my playstyle is called or what the difference between KDDK and DDKK is, im trying to rank higher for taiko and have got pretty far the past week or so, i use DFJK (dk for blue and fj for red) and i use both of my hands, does anyone have tips and info about taiko playstyles and stuff i could use?
JustABeginner
That is exactly the playstyle I go for.

There could be any playstyle you can test it out - KDDK/DDKK/KKDD/DKKD - anything really!
The difference with the same kats/dons on your left/right hands - DDKK/KKDD - is the alternation technique, and I think it is a good playstyle for hitting finishers, but one of the cons is it is not beginner friendly as alternating kats and dons will be harder to manage.

I suggest practice with alternating your kats and dons instead of just single tapping when you have the chance to do so, otherwise it may be hard to get into it especially from oni diffs and above.
Topic Starter
unao
I notice i can change the style to DDKK/KKDD inside osu settings, but it does nothing at all for my actual gameplay? so thats why i am confused about the difference between the two.. is there a keybind set for it? i want to try it just for fun, also i dont know what you mean by finishers and beginners? im not new to osu but im a terms noob because this is the first time ive interacted with the forum community about actual taiko tips..

I have been practicing alternating with notes i could easily click with one hand, unfortunately its hard in general cause my laptop is VERY low end (though id consider myself pretty skilled with this much lag XD), my ping is ok but my fps is often only at 31-46 so sometimes seeing the notes and being able to hit them correctly while alternating is a bit difficult if theyre too slow, but i dont have a problem if theyre fast aslong as theyre not insane and paired up with tons of DDK/KKD type of patterns
mayoneeze
Oh, based on your recent plays you're on lazer, so the KDDK and DDKK options there seem to only apply to touch controls. You have to change the keybinds manually in "Shortcut and Gameplay bindings" and select taiko. So if you use DFJK, you'd change DF for red and JK for blue to play DDKK and vice versa for KKDD.

Yeah the terminology can be a bit confusing, have you checked out the wiki article they made for taiko? For example finishers are the big notes you hit with both fingers or hands to score extra points. And for performance I've read that the older stable version is generally more optimized to low-end computers for now.