forum

[Archived] How to start lazer client on linux?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheKubaX
Problem details: 2 days ago I've installed lazer for the first time. I've downloaded the .AppImage file, successfully installed the game. Tried it out, exit.
But...I've noticed that there is no shortcut or file for me to start the game again. Sure, I could run it through .AppImage again, but while doing that I'm reinstalling the osu. Which is honestly not what should happen, right?

I've tried to search for help online but all I've ever found was how to install the game, not how to run it.

Video or screenshot showing the problem: Maybe not really showing the problem but this is everything I have in my Lazer folder.

osu! version: Lazer
Linux Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Espionage724
On Fedora, running an AppImage the first time creates the files needed for config, and when re-running that AppImage it reuses them; no re-installation, and this was true for me a few weeks ago with osu!lazer and devilutionx. I don't imagine Ubuntu to be doing that differently unless they're sandboxing the AppImage and only allowing temp files or something wacky.

You can create a .desktop launcher for the AppImage; I'd use bash -c AppImage
Topic Starter
TheKubaX

Espionage724 wrote:

On Fedora, running an AppImage the first time creates the files needed for config, and when re-running that AppImage it reuses them; no re-installation, and this was true for me a few weeks ago with osu!lazer and devilutionx. I don't imagine Ubuntu to be doing that differently unless they're sandboxing the AppImage and only allowing temp files or something wacky.

You can create a .desktop launcher for the AppImage; I'd use bash -c AppImage
Hey there, thank you for your comment.

I've looked into it, tried few things and the situation looks as following: When I've started the game the AppImage enforced the path for the installator. I then changed the folder location in lazer to another path and removed the previous one. The reason for this is that AppImage enforced the installation on the disc where I keep all work and university related files and I want to keep it game-free. Because I've removed these files, AppImage must've thought that the game isn't installed and thus forced me to install the game again.

So I guess the answer to this question has been found.
I hope future linux gamers will find this thread to be helpful.