forum

[Archived] Some video files not playing in-game (Stable, Win 11)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Catgirl
Problem details:
First thing, this occurs on some maps with video but not all. I could not find a .mp4 video file that would playback correctly ingame, which gives one of two results, either a perma loading circle in play mode (and hanging in editor), or a hard crash.

For .avi files it's very inconsistent, some maps crash while others play back fine.

Worth noting that I can play all of these files fine on my PC in a different video player, it's only osu! that has the problem playing them.

This was a fresh install of osu! on a new Windows 11 build, I have tested getting new versions of the related .dll files but nothing changed. I also tried redownloading specific maps that have problems with no success.

Sample event logs for the .avi file playback crashes
Application: osu!.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at dje_zQ9TJ4PAD5PTVERVDR7HJUGWJK2C7XY8JN9L3GK4GC8CU5WQ_ejd.#=z6F$ouAx1rGWu11Tx5g==(IntPtr)
   at #=z8V9jb7pQdn4uUdhDef9kBkREtpw3ig2jUA==.#=zQr6vYgQ=(Boolean)
   at #=z25BhjJKJSv4chAyOaSJuW1OePSh7F1ucSg==.#=zQr6vYgQ=(Boolean)
   at #=z25BhjJKJSv4chAyOaSJuW1OePSh7F1ucSg==.Finalize()

Application: osu!.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at dje_zQ9TJ4PAD5PTVERVDR7HJUGWJK2C7XY8JN9L3GK4GC8CU5WQ_ejd.#=z4XtCxBKzcETWzE9Olw==(IntPtr ByRef, System.String, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr)
   at #=z8V9jb7pQdn4uUdhDef9kBkREtpw3ig2jUA==.#=z8uw4$Xg=(Byte[])
   at #=z25BhjJKJSv4chAyOaSJuW1OePSh7F1ucSg==..ctor(System.String, #=zRZyGaKJCgxvM08_vLBS2Oa1EjlIfOdq47A==, #=zSQWje7s3XEungBvjMjbQzDTLAqy3R4_ZtQ==)
   at #=zbaRvuN23wjZYMF4oNki5okaZK8Ij..ctor(System.String, #=zRZyGaKJCgxvM08_vLBS2Oa1EjlIfOdq47A==, #=zSQWje7s3XEungBvjMjbQzDTLAqy3R4_ZtQ==, Int32)
   at #=zbJqkrJF69yLASpsnblYMeq3jWETw.#=zj4ZpgNs=(System.String, Int32)
   at #=zTIzvMUK76HGWX8J5K72JauzyE65l.#=zEJI7_Qs=(osu.GameplayElements.FileSection, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
   at #=zTIzvMUK76HGWX8J5K72JauzyE65l.#=zLJmVyPA=(Boolean, Boolean)
   at #=znsd474wIu4GAJ8swgEdrqaxwLN4O.#=z22PmdM1tnqaX()
   at #=zO1FOjJorvL5elv7INmZVAHQ=.#=zRUqEfeg=()
   at #=zpMBkSyYW0b9QAvkYpA==+#=zLyMSo5hi2o2AcYexkSMCmxE=.#=zam69TiN$84BhGJw2hYj0Zn0=()
   at #=zCWdbPh0a5beDmQ8arjlJ27Oz7EEG+#=zAGazj$U2ul8orry$gPc1xHY=.#=zNxnxY2CkQ90cNBumuQ==(System.Object)
   at #=zlt2WOPI50x54A3GyAb3bOO4=.#=zSKiCWQEg_5dq()
   at #=zlt2WOPI50x54A3GyAb3bOO4=.#=z3yMRkgY=()
   at #=zBJDxHji6kbe2S0yiZWWBhWI=.#=zSKiCWQEg_5dq(#=zlt2WOPI50x54A3GyAb3bOO4=)
   at #=zBJDxHji6kbe2S0yiZWWBhWI=.#=zB6$NKHhxiRJ6()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20240120.1 (latest)

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎8/‎14/‎2023
OS build 22621.3007
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22681.1000.0
Topic Starter
Catgirl
bumping to maybe get noticed again
Death
Just curious, can you try closing Discord and Steam and see if you're still crashing? Make sure they are both closed and not just minimized to your system tray.
Topic Starter
Catgirl

Death wrote:

Just curious, can you try closing Discord and Steam and see if you're still crashing? Make sure they are both closed and not just minimized to your system tray.
tried closing everything possible and it's still happening the same
MusicRitman
Have you tried running osu! with admin perms?
Sure
I have the same problem. This problem occurs more frequently the more maps you have. I saw you have 90k maps in the video. And I have 100k maps now, I can't play osu with any video anymore. Deleting osu!.db is a temporary solution. The problem will occur again as soon.
Topic Starter
Catgirl

MusicRitman wrote:

Have you tried running osu! with admin perms?
forgot to respond here but running as administrator changed nothing.

i talked with Sure and they confirmed that it happens on Windows 10 as well, and another person who has Windows 11 had the same problem with 192k maps installed. I have 94k maps so it seems like it's maybe related to having large osu.db files, mine is 406MB

honestly no idea though, i will ask more people who i know have large map collections and see if we can replicate more things