forum

I thought the golden 300 was the best score in Osu Mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LintyCarcass
I have been occasionally playing Osu (mostly Mania at this point) for about 6 months, and I have about 22 hours of playtime. I've played some other rhythm games so I'm not terrible, which has lead to me being fairly capable at 4.5 star maps currently.

Story time.
I was getting a bit sick of the gigantic pop up whenever you hit a note to tell you how well you hit it. I really like the default Osu Mania skin and wanted some more visibility, so I made a simple skin that just makes the pop ups twice as small. Then i noticed the order that the hit skins were placed in. And when I was previewing my skins I noticed that the Auto Modifier kept hitting rainbow 300's. I did a quick search for the Osu Mania scoring system, and saw a sentence that shook me to my core. "A rainbow 300 is worth a bit more than 300."...

Maybe I should've realised this sooner. I was a little weirded out by the fact that the high scores for maps always had considerably more rainbow 300's than golden ones.

I mainly blame the arrangement of the hit scores in the results screen when you finish a map. WHY IN GOD'S NAME, ARE THE GOLDEN 300 AND THE RAINBOW 300 NOT SWITCHED AROUND? The pattern is logical I thought. Bottom right starts with the worst hit type (a miss), to the left of it is somewhat better (grey 50), and every layer above it is of course also better. That would obviously make the golden 300, which is in the top left, the best hit type.

And don't even get me started on the implications of the colours. I understand that some people may give the rainbow "colour" a more positive connotation than gold. But I personally see the rainbow as a wildcard. Gold is... well, gold. Gold is often compared to perfection. Every time I saw it my monkey brain went "ooh perfect hit".

Anyways I'll be here lamenting on all the times I was so proud of myself for hitting a dozen golden 300's in a row, only to be annoyed when I got a rainbow 300 to break the golden chain. I have been SABOTAGING myself (albeit a negligible amount). I feel betrayed.

You know what? I am going to swap the 300 skins. You can't stop me.
netzoid

LintyCarcass wrote:

I mainly blame the arrangement of the hit scores in the results screen when you finish a map. WHY IN GOD'S NAME, ARE THE GOLDEN 300 AND THE RAINBOW 300 NOT SWITCHED AROUND? The pattern is logical I thought. Bottom right starts with the worst hit type (a miss), to the left of it is somewhat better (grey 50), and every layer above it is of course also better. That would obviously make the golden 300, which is in the top left, the best hit type.

You know what? I am going to swap the 300 skins. You can't stop me.
i have been playing for years and have not noticed that at all lmao. but yeah that's kind of stupid. I think for regular players, rainbow is more appealing than gold so that's why they made it rainbow and not gold
Quotient
Really good point actually
I noticed the placements of rainbow and golden a lot later into the game than knowing that rainbow 300 give higher score than golden 300

You're pretty right, I have no idea why their placements aren't switched around