forum

AI in mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART
i was wondering something a little bit silly yesterday

is it possible to rank or love a beatmap if it has been made by an AI or an assistance tool? if yes, are there any already?
mouc
yes if you find 2 bns and it follows rc
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

mouc wrote:

yes if you find 2 bns and it follows rc
so you can basically rank beatmaps without any efforts

cool
WitherMite
Still arent any AI or bots that can come anywhere close to making something a bn or loved captain would let into leaderboard sections though.

Maps need more than to just follow rc. And I dont think any bots can even do that yet.

Plus imagine the drama.
Espionage724
I'd be fine with AI doing ranking. Isn't ranking just checking if circles and sliders aren't overlapped and that the map is otherwise playable? If it checks to a spec, I don't see a problem.

For AI making maps to get ranked, I'm fine with that too as long as it produces playable difficulties that aren't just confusing sliders and streams upon streams for "difficulty" inflation.

I've tried making beatmaps and getting ranked in the past and it was too much effort and having to beg others for feedback. Wouldn't even consider doing it nowadays and there's plenty of songs I'd be interested in seeing mapped. Passing that effort off to AI to make something fun would be great! I don't care about legendary mappers or whatever, I want to click circles to music, drama-free.

Heck, maybe just integrate AI in osu! to automatically make beatmaps with just a song file. Create algorithms for different presets as to what kind of fun or difficulties you want, and let the AI do the BPM, distance calculations, and whatever else. This is the one case where I'd actually like to see AI take something over :p

Edit: Thought about it a bit more, and implementing AI like that would likely ghost-town communities and any real goal of osu! gaining popularity or future support. That's definitely a worse outcome!
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

WitherMite wrote:

Still arent any AI or bots that can come anywhere close to making something a bn or loved captain would let into leaderboard sections though.

Maps need more than to just follow rc. And I dont think any bots can even do that yet.

Plus imagine the drama.
i would be a twitter drama again, nothing special
Chrisse
this is actually an interesting topic
i think it would be harder for std compared to a mode like mania or taiko
there are actually some programs that make decent maps for mania automatically which is pretty cool, but the maps feel very bland and fail to incorporate concepts that makes maps unique. its usually just notes placed in safe places to the rythm, but its not awful based on what ive seen
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Chrisse wrote:

this is actually an interesting topic
i think it would be harder for std compared to a mode like mania or taiko
there are actually some programs that make decent maps for mania automatically which is pretty cool, but the maps feel very bland and fail to incorporate concepts that makes maps unique. its usually just notes placed in safe places to the rythm, but its not awful based on what ive seen
there's no doubt that it would be harder for a program to make a "good" rankable standard map than a mania map as there are more parameters to consider lol

right now, it would be more clever to use one of those as a helper to make something suitable. maybe in the future, these programs will be more efficient and we'll be able to create several unique mapping styles, right? (i'm talking to every gamemodes)
Arzenvald
imo its not about if you can or cannot use AI to create a map, but how the AI / mapping assistant tool would help the mapper to create the map, which is interesting if it can help to make mapping even more accessible to more player.

Anaxii wrote:

so you can basically rank beatmaps without any efforts

cool
rather, how much effort do the programmer/developer want to put into creating the AI / mapping assistant tool in the first place. i think it's doable, up to a certain point.
lewski
what if we didn't seek to willingly bastardise an art form
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

lewski wrote:

what if we didn't seek to willingly bastardise an art form
the future is scary
bbbprooooo

Espionage724 wrote:

I'd be fine with AI doing ranking. Isn't ranking just checking if circles and sliders aren't overlapped and that the map is otherwise playable? If it checks to a spec, I don't see a problem.

For AI making maps to get ranked, I'm fine with that too as long as it produces playable difficulties that aren't just confusing sliders and streams upon streams for "difficulty" inflation.

I've tried making beatmaps and getting ranked in the past and it was too much effort and having to beg others for feedback. Wouldn't even consider doing it nowadays and there's plenty of songs I'd be interested in seeing mapped. Passing that effort off to AI to make something fun would be great! I don't care about legendary mappers or whatever, I want to click circles to music, drama-free.

Heck, maybe just integrate AI in osu! to automatically make beatmaps with just a song file. Create algorithms for different presets as to what kind of fun or difficulties you want, and let the AI do the BPM, distance calculations, and whatever else. This is the one case where I'd actually like to see AI take something over :p
agree, it would be cool to already have the map fully timed when you put in the .mp3/.ogg file in, a lot more ranked maps would be made that way
Lp9
A great way to make all mappers quit the game
Rikuka
wow i wish that happened
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Lp9 wrote:

A great way to make all mappers quit the game
lol
AlexYoshi
Well, I hope If an AI comes to osu mapping, it will have the purpouse of help mappers and taking care of details, in other words, a tool that helps you with any idea through the process of making a beatmap, including concepts in the map to add at the one that you're making.

I know that this is a bit exaggerated but, hope that the future doesn't come as an AI apocalypse, in general terms, it's so scary :o
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

AlexYoshi wrote:

Well, I hope If an AI comes to osu mapping, it will have the purpouse of help mappers and taking care of details, in other words, a tool that helps you with any idea through the process of making a beatmap, including concepts in the map to add at the one that you're making.

I know that this is a bit exaggerated but, hope that the future doesn't come as an AI apocalypse, in general terms, it's so scary :o
it's obvious that people are going to use these to make amazing maps without doing anything (if it's possible) because it's easier and faster
AlexYoshi

Anaxii wrote:

AlexYoshi wrote:

it's obvious that people are going to use these to make amazing maps without doing anything (if it's possible) because it's easier and faster
Unfortunately is a bit obvious what are you saying, people literally abuse these sort of tools nowadays and doesn't realise the dangerousness they can generate towards to a community/society