forum

[added] Change star rankings to be based off Tom94's calculations

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +95
Topic Starter
bobbybobsenpwned
So I think most people can agree that the star rankings of beatmaps does not give an accurate impression of how hard a beatmap is. FREEDOM DiVE's Another difficulty for example has a 4.5 star rating, while being up among the hardest beatmaps in the game (ranked as number 17 on http://osutp.net/beatmaps)
Also, almost all insanes has a 5 star difficulty rating, but the difficulty level of insanes vary greatly. When you get good enough to beat insanes, you just ignore the stars completely.

I often go check http://osutp.net/beatmaps for beatmaps around my level, and I find the ratings to be very accurate.
So I thought that since Tom94's calculations (the guy that made osutp.net) has been used for the ppv2 rankings, why not use it for the star ratings too? I think it will give a much better idea of how hard beatmaps are, and it will also help newer players progress a lot more since when they are confident in a star rating they can star aiming for the next difficulty.

If this is implemented, and if the highest amount of stars is going to be the hardest of the hardest songs, I also suggest either changing the scale of stars to between 1 and 10, or make it so that the star number doesn't have to be a whole number + a half. Make it so the last star can be anything from 0.1 of a star, to 0.9 of a star. Since the diversity of the difficulty of the beatmaps are so great, one of those to implementations would probably be required, if not both.

The biggest concern I can see with this feature is that newer players would feel that the progress slower, since it will take a lot longer to be good enough to play the highest star difficulty. I do however not think it's that big a problem, because as it is now nobody really cares about the star ranking of a map, while if it was changed it would actually have a meaning if you managed to beat a beatmap with a higher star ranking than what you could beat before.
Please let me know what you think,what pros and cons there might be and if you think it's a great idea or a horrible one :).
Tom94
Already working on it. :P
Ekaru

Tom94 wrote:

OMG HYYYYYYYYYYYPE!
deadbeat

Tom94 wrote:

i was about to say that the star ratings have been borked for years now, and i don't see them being fixed any time soon. but i stand corrected. looking forward to see the new calculations :)
Topic Starter
bobbybobsenpwned

Tom94 wrote:

Well, I guess this long post was unnecessary then :P
Looking forward too it though
XPJ38
Marking as assigned, if you don't mind.
Myke B

Tom94 wrote:

omg new PP system 2014 hypeeeeeeeee
TakuMii
I thought this was a given, considering everyone (including peppy) has already stated that the eyup star system is terribly outdated and that ppv2 has its own difficulty system :/
deadbeat

XPJ38 wrote:

i do mind. there is literally no use in that tag. honestly, just don't bother with it anymore. i've already removed all the other ones
Myke B
well I mean it might prevent people from making duplicates?
Topic Starter
bobbybobsenpwned

deadbeat wrote:

XPJ38 wrote:

i do mind. there is literally no use in that tag. honestly, just don't bother with it anymore. i've already removed all the other ones
Well, I guess there should be some sort of tag so people know that there is no reason to give stars for it. I don't know a lot about posting, but I guess an assigned tag would work?
deadbeat
then i might as well tag half this forum as assigned.
people are just going to keep throwing stars even with the tag there
Myke B
True, but I mean - what harm could it do? might prevent a couple of duplicates, or a couple wasted stars :)
PlasticSmoothie

Tom94 wrote:

CHOO CHOO HYPETRAIN
XPJ38

deadbeat wrote:

XPJ38 wrote:

Alrighty.
TheVileOne
I'm certainly looking forward to this. Star rating is so disappointingly inaccurate.
deadbeat
wait, this is added now, isn't it?
Loctav
Eeyup
Lanturn
deadbeat working overtime to clean up all these requests <3
deadbeat
actually, i found this looking for something else x.x