forum

How do i get minus infinity bpm in a map or 0?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tankia
How do i make my beatmap bpm 0 or minus infinity, I know how to make it infinity using osu notepad in the map but how do i make it minus infinity, when i put a minus after 1E-298 it just resets the bpm to default and the notepad doesnt save sometimes and leaves it regular, How do i make it minus infinity or 0?
Jason X
I don't know how to actually make this myself, so I usually just copy it from ProfessionalBox's map

113227,1E-298,4,1,1,75,1,0
Copy this and paste it into your timing setup panel, then adjust the offset accordingly.
gummibar
hi! i think i can help. here's some context nobody asked for.

The number you're adjusting is the beatLength value. It accounts for the length between beats in ms. ∞bpm implies that there are 0ms in between beats, but osu! can't actually handle a beatLength of 0. However, you can trick beatLength into being 0 by having a very, very small number. In this case, 1E-298 (or roughly, 0.00000...(a couple hundred 0's)...0000001).

unfortunately, i believe that this means that a bpm of -∞ is impossible, as setting beat length to -1E-298 will also round to a beatLength of 0. i don't think that "negative 0" is a value osu! (or humans) can understand.

vvvv actual answer vvvv

Luckily, your second proposal is entirely possible. Just as having ∞bpm implies a beatLength of 0, having 0bpm implies a beatLength of ∞.

Again, osu! can't have a beatLength of ∞, but guess what! You can trick beatLength into being ∞ by having a very, very big number! I love this game.

If you set the beatLength to 1E+298 (or roughly, 10000...(a couple hundred 0s)...000), you should receive a bpm of 0. Of course, this is entirely useless, but it appears in the song select screen, and thats neat enough for me.

Hope this helped.
Topic Starter
Tankia

gummibar wrote:

hi! i think i can help. here's some context nobody asked for.

The number you're adjusting is the beatLength value. It accounts for the length between beats in ms. ∞bpm implies that there are 0ms in between beats, but osu! can't actually handle a beatLength of 0. However, you can trick beatLength into being 0 by having a very, very small number. In this case, 1E-298 (or roughly, 0.00000...(a couple hundred 0's)...0000001).

unfortunately, i believe that this means that a bpm of -∞ is impossible, as setting beat length to -1E-298 will also round to a beatLength of 0. i don't think that "negative 0" is a value osu! (or humans) can understand.

vvvv actual answer vvvv

Luckily, your second proposal is entirely possible. Just as having ∞bpm implies a beatLength of 0, having 0bpm implies a beatLength of ∞.

Again, osu! can't have a beatLength of ∞, but guess what! You can trick beatLength into being ∞ by having a very, very big number! I love this game.

If you set the beatLength to 1E+298 (or roughly, 10000...(a couple hundred 0s)...000), you should receive a bpm of 0. Of course, this is entirely useless, but it appears in the song select screen, and thats neat enough for me.

Hope this helped.
Thanks, I am also aware that it wont change much but its just for looking cool when you look at the beatmap, Ill make a aspire map with this i guess.
Jason X
-Mo- did talk about this in one of his videos (linked here), might be helpful to look at.

Doesn't matter if you use negative or positive infinity though, the game handles them essentially the same.
Topic Starter
Tankia

Jason X wrote:

-Mo- did talk about this in one of his videos (linked here), might be helpful to look at.

Doesn't matter if you use negative or positive infinity though, the game handles them essentially the same.
I know, I wanna make it cool to look in the beatmap selection like The Solace Of Oblivion that shows infinity bpm, i want minus infinity bpm or exactly 0.
Jason X

Tankia wrote:

like The Solace Of Oblivion that shows infinity bpm

Jason X wrote:

113227,1E-298,4,1,1,75,1,0
Copy this and paste it into your timing setup panel, then adjust the offset accordingly.
This timing point is literally from Solace Of Oblivion, can't get any close that that I'm afraid.
MrRainbowDoge
you could always decrease BPM in timing panel until you get to 0 BPM, any lower than that will automatically make you do the timing again
Zelzatter Zero

MrRainbowDoge wrote:

you could always decrease BPM in timing panel until you get to 0 BPM, any lower than that will automatically make you do the timing again
iirc you can't, only at 15bpm at lowest, else ppl wouldn't go out of their way editing .osu file just to achieve 0bpm.
MrRainbowDoge

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

MrRainbowDoge wrote:

iirc you can't, only at 15bpm at lowest, else ppl wouldn't go out of their way editing .osu file just to achieve 0bpm.
i didnt the timing setup panel, i meant the area where adjust the main sv and the slider tick rate
Zelzatter Zero

MrRainbowDoge wrote:

i didnt the timing setup panel, i meant the area where adjust the main sv and the slider tick rate
You said to adjust BPM but aight.

And even then, main SV has the minimum of 0.4x and slider tick rate minimum is 1x, you can't adjust any further than that without modification straight from the .osu file itself.
lewski
@zelz timing setup panel is f6, they're talking about the timing tab (f3) which does go to 0 (although I have no idea if it works the same way, don't feel like investigating)