forum

Can I be good at osu! by playing only with mouse ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
playercz
Hi,
when I watch osu! videos, 90% of the time people use tablet or mose & keyboard. Rarely mouse only.
So my question is, I played osu for few hours, and I really like it, but I dont really like playing using the keyboard and mouse, so do I need to use keyboard to beat the harder maps ? I can only enjoy the game if I use only mouse. :D Are there any tips for mouse only palyers? Binding something on one of the buttons etc.. Thanks for replies in advance
Btw. Excuse me for bad english.
Nase Izumi
Rokusho
As mouse only player I can tell you that it takes a lot of time to get good at playing mouse only. That's probably the reason why people play with tablet/mouse and keyboard, it's probably the fastest way for most people to get better. But trust me, if you practice long enough you will be able to beat most other tablet/mouse + keyboard players. Practice is the keyword.
buny

ander978 wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/79498
The first place on this map is a mouse only player :)
It's enough for you?
obviously legit
Blaziken
yeh
GoldenWolf
aBunny

buny wrote:

no they are not

that's why no mouse user has ever gotten past any [normal] difficulty
Normal difficulty is where it's at
Blueprint
Hell of alot of practice, and if your mouse is cheap you will probably break a ton of them from streaming
Myke B
Yes.
-Chronopolis-
We do exist (i mean mouse only players, not that I'm good by any means). Have fun, lower your mouse sensitivity sometime along the road. From the few profiles I've seen average mouse-only player does improve somewhat slower than people who play with both. Most things aren't harder to learn with mouse only though. You might want to always sit in the same position and grip the mouse the same way all the time though, because it will effect what motions your fingers use to press the keys.
Rewben2
Ekaru
If you mean only the left mouse button then no. You'll have to throw in either the right mouse button or z/x. Your choice. You can also use z *and* x for streams and left mouse button for non-streams. I used to play like that.
buny

Ekaru wrote:

If you mean only the left mouse button then no. You'll have to throw in either the right mouse button or z/x. Your choice. You can also use z *and* x for streams and left mouse button for non-streams. I used to play like that.
who the hell thinks left click only...
tokaku
Yes, it is possible, as long as you keep practicing
Ekaru

buny wrote:

Ekaru wrote:

who the hell thinks left click only...
I've met a few. ;P I'm pretty sure me meant left + right click but I've met some people before who are... interesting. So I wanted to cover that just to make sure. Didn't bother with the "left + right" scenario because that was already covered.
Venumidas
It's just my opinion, mouse only is a waste of skill.
mcdoomfrag

Venumidas wrote:

Playing mouse only isn't "only a waste of skill", it's just another fun way to play the game that some people enjoy.

Obviously, if you only care about ranks or being the best player ever, mouse only isn't the right choice for you, but with enough investment and practice other players have proven that it is possible to get great ranks while playing the game the way THEY enjoy it.
Noobsicle

Venumidas wrote:

care to at least explain why?
Breiz

Venumidas wrote:

It's not a waste of skill, you train to become good with mouse only, for instance I can't play mouse keyboard very well, since i've never really played that.
It's the only fun way for me to play this game, so why not?

Also back on topic

Venumidas
I guess nobody understands what the meaning of"my opinion" is.

It is what I think of it, not you.
GoldenWolf
But what's the point of stating your opinion if you don't even explain why you think that way?
Myke B

GoldenWolf wrote:

But what's the point of stating your opinion if you don't even explain why you think that way?
yea.. if you don't back up what you say, then nobody will listen to what you have to say.
aBunny

Venumidas wrote:

everyone has a different perspective on what achievement is
Ekaru

Venumidas wrote:

We're allowed to have an opinion of your opinion. Hiding behind the "IT'S JUST MY OPINION!" card does you no favors because of this. It actually just makes you look like even more of a dick.
RaneFire

Ekaru wrote:

Venumidas wrote:

We're allowed to have an opinion of your opinion. Hiding behind the "IT'S JUST MY OPINION!" card does you no favors because of this. It actually just makes you look like even more of a dick.
You should use the "in my opinion" card on subjective issues which don't have a clear right or wrong answer, and on objective stuff to explain reasoning behind something which is evidently right, but "why" is a bit of a mystery.

Problem is: An opinion is not immune to being wrong, especially since you disregarded some important aspects of the game... namely reading and rhythm sense. These skills take the longest time to build, and prior experience in rhythm games or music helps a lot. If you play mouse only, you still develop these skills. Playing the way most natural to you is the best method for developing these skills. For some people, that's mouse only.

I played mouse only, after having severe trouble with my left hand on the keyboard. "Mouse only" was a FAR MORE NATURAL method for me to play (because dominant hand), so that I could develop the essential skills for playing the game. When I switched back to the keyboard, it only took 2-3 months of practice to surpass the accuracy, stamina and consistency at higher speeds I had with mouse only, and I got better in the process too (don't forget). Even if my speed may be lower (of course it will be, it's not my dominant hand!), the consistency gained from just "getting better," generally, was invaluable and I did not feel like there was any extra learning to be done. i.e. I did not feel like my time was wasted. I haven't played that much compared to most people in the upper ranks (although I practice efficiently), even taking 3-4 month long hiatus' at times, so there is little room to compare progression in my case, which also depends a lot on how much you play and how competitive you are. There are so many factors and other ways to "waste skill" beyond preference vs potential.

Many good players, who use the keyboard today, started out playing mouse only, and some got really good with the mouse first before trying something "different." And that skews the statistics, because now you think they always used tablet+keyboard, for example.
kevpwns

Ekaru wrote:

Venumidas wrote:

agreed.

tbh i am amazed at those who can stream high bpm with mouse only, I think it requires lots of skill and is amazing to watch
Reborn

kevpwns wrote:

tbh i am amazed at those who can stream high bpm with mouse only, I think it requires lots of skill and is amazing to watch
true. It's so hard to control the mouse, when using both buttons.
Gotta respect dem mouse players!
MrBakpao

GoldenWolf wrote:

hey i want that skin~_~

anyway it's possible if you just play only with mouse, hard and insane probaly~
example : IOSYS - Kanbu de Todomatte Sugu Tokeru ~ Kyouki no Udongein

try to play with z or y keys
-Chronopolis-

check this out~
show more