forum

[invalid] Allow "similar" timing across difficulties

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nao Tomori
I believe that red lines don't need to be the same in every difficulty and in certain cases that requirement is detrimental or restrictive for no real purpose. This proposal aims to reword the timing rule to specify that the general timing of the map must be similar but can vary within reason to meet the needs of the specific difficulty being timed. This can avoid situations like repeat sliders being nearly unusable on low difficulties in complex-timing sections, certain game modes being more or less stringent than others, or difficulties all being made to map the same layer of a song when timing may be slightly different between layers and mapping different layers would feel more natural.

I don't believe there's any mechanical restriction on different timing either so shouldn't be an implementation issue.
maxie
+1
Baker Mayfield
+1
wafer
+1
Secre
Would your wording also include doubled bpm for the sake of slider-tick manipulation aswell? Asking as a curious catch mapper who tried pushing similar in the past but got shut down
Lafayla
Strongly agree with the proposal, +1
Topic Starter
Nao Tomori

Secre wrote:

Would your wording also include doubled bpm for the sake of slider-tick manipulation aswell? Asking as a curious catch mapper who tried pushing similar in the past but got shut down
I think that this and the taiko equivalent is a bit out of scope, my suggested change is basically either moving the "red lines must be the same rule" to guidelines or softening the wording to say "uninherited timing points must be similar" and give some examples where varying may make sense.

The tick manipulation stuff, it's probably better to amend the perfect timing rule or one of the other ones, though I'm not opposed to using red lines more liberally to fix editor issues.
Vulkin
Doesn't this rule exist to avoid issues from happening with the osu title?
fieryrage
+1 mostly to the different timing for multi mode sets, the lower difficulties timing issues can be worked around albeit it is pretty annoying to fix timing specifically to work around that
-Hitomi
+1
Monoseul
+1

I think the rule could be moved to guideline with a few examples on where it could be justified, especially for multi mode sets.
AJT
I think the guideline should give (as close as possible to) an exhaustive list of acceptable scenarios but I support this
-White
We already had a proposal for allowing different timing for different diffs for cases of polyrhythms that different guest mappers would prioritize/map differently, I feel if we make a change for this we should just bundle it into that
Renumi
yes
Pope Gadget

-White wrote:

We already had a proposal for allowing different timing for different diffs for cases of polyrhythms that different guest mappers would prioritize/map differently, I feel if we make a change for this we should just bundle it into that
I agree; I presume the thread you're referring to is this one: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/1675476

I've ran into this problem just a couple days ago when trying to rank a set with multiple modes, so would very much like an amendment. I've explained it more in the thread above since I think it'd be worth it to continue discussion there instead.

Vulkin wrote:

Doesn't this rule exist to avoid issues from happening with the osu title?
I feel like this issue would've been brought up before packs started being commonplace/loved. I can't see it being a problem, personally.
Topic Starter
Nao Tomori
Proposal denied by peppy, archived.