forum

[Archived] Black screen in osu! (Possible new bug?)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Brunixxx
Problem details:
So, today I wanted to play osu! just like another normal day, and I find out that after booting up osu!, a few seconds later the screen turns black, making the game impossible to see.

I've tried restarting my computer, toggling compatibility mode on and off and nothing seems to work :(

Any clues on what's going on?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://streamable.com/g9z61x

osu! version: Stable 20231219.2 (latest)
BlueChinchompa
Have you tried changing resolution or switching release streams?

If that doesn't work you can try reinstalling the game (Be sure to back up songs/skins/db files)
Domco
Switch to cutting-edge and see if any of the logs inside osu!/Logs contains information about any issues, mainly "runtime.log", you can also try updating your GPU drivers or reverting a previously installed GPU driver update
Topic Starter
Brunixxx

BlueChinchompa wrote:

Have you tried changing resolution or switching release streams?

If that doesn't work you can try reinstalling the game (Be sure to back up songs/skins/db files)
Just tried that, after a fresh installation it seems to have worked, but after placing the backup files, today as I opened osu!, the black screen came back again :(

wth is going on???!!
Domco
maybe it is some skin or song causing that
Topic Starter
Brunixxx

Domco wrote:

Switch to cutting-edge and see if any of the logs inside osu!/Logs contains information about any issues, mainly "runtime.log", you can also try updating your GPU drivers or reverting a previously installed GPU driver update
Switched to cutting-edge, in runtime.log it dosen't seem like there are any errors inside, I'm not sure if the performance.log may be causing something related to the problem, since it has thrown a few "Call stacks" but I don't think they have the fault.

If you want to check both log files you can see them here: https://pastebin.com/mTeqVPvw

About GPU drivers, I'm not sure as I haven't updated them recently before and after this error happened, but I'll see about it.

EDIT: There is also a slight chance it may or may not be related to my backup files, but I'm not exactly sure who to blame if it had the fault of osu! behaving like that
Domco
Well, if you can figure out which files are causing it then we can possibly fix it, as a first step you might rename your current "Skins" folder to "Skins_old" and see if that helps, if not do the same with "Songs" folder
Topic Starter
Brunixxx

Domco wrote:

Well, if you can figure out which files are causing it then we can possibly fix it, as a first step you might rename your current "Skins" folder to "Skins_old" and see if that helps, if not do the same with "Songs" folder
Just did it, neither of those seem to have the problem :/

https://ibb.co/3Nbw8RJ
Domco
Well then that might mean it is not related, maybe try clean install and then move your "Songs" and "Skins" folder into the new clean installation.
Topic Starter
Brunixxx

Domco wrote:

Well then that might mean it is not related, maybe try clean install and then move your "Songs" and "Skins" folder into the new clean installation.
Just did it, imported the stuff, but somehow (and I don't even know how), osu! self-destroyed himself or something?

I'm going to try a few times and see what I can get.
Topic Starter
Brunixxx
Ending this topic, it's probably because one of my files got corrupt or something

Either way a clean installation and backing up only the essential files (Skins and Maps) seems to be a good enough solution for this problem, but I'm not sure what exactly caused the problem

Could it be values in the configuration file beyond normal limits that caused this issue?
Did a score got corrupted?
Did osu! glitched in a weird way?

I'm unsure.
Topic Starter
Brunixxx
Update to the situation.

It happened... AGAIN.

(posting another video in a bit)

Checklist for new users in the thread:
- Reinstalling the game* dosen't work. I've already tried about 2 times with and without saving configuration files.
- Switching to "beta" or "cutting-edge" dosen't work, nor displays any valuable information in the logs
- Compatibility mode hasn't done anything helpful at all either.

Update: (1/16/2024)
- I seem to have pinpointed the source of the error:
Apparently, after I've made an empty map with a song and video located elsewhere, it seems that this map in particular triggers the black screen.

The thing is, this dosen't make sense on why would it make a black screen.

I will post a video soon on my discoveries, please be patient.

Update: (1/17/2024)
Nevermind, a second opening re-activated the bug. Can you guys help me out?