forum

Which controller should I use? Xbox Controller or Keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
1Miha
So, I basically play with Xbox Controller and getting some muzukashii (2.9* - 3.1*), and I was wondering, should I play with Xbox Controller, or... with keyboard? Because yes, in further, I'll struggle at some stars, and, maybe, I'll give up at Taiko mode.

Before answering, I need some pros (pluses) and cons (minuses), so I can finally decide on which controller should I play. Thank you!
mayoneeze
Keyboard
+/- comfortability is a personal preference
+ you could play harder maps
+ less straining for fingers
+ there shouldn't be any noticeable delay
+ most common playstyle, therefore maps are more so designed for keyboard
Controller
+/- comfortability is a personal preference
+ you could play harder maps
+ there shouldn't be any noticeable delay
- can be more straining for fingers
- patterns might be more keyboard friendly

You should play with what feels the most comfortable to you. It might be worth switching to keyboard if you're worried about struggling at some stars. I think you could go pretty far with controllers as well, I've seen people full combo 9-10* onis on the Nintendo Switch or Playstation 4 ports of Taiko no Tatsujin. Although my fingers hurt trying to imitate that. Overall I'd lean towards recommending keyboard here but the game is definitely playable on both. I perform worse on controller but it might also be because I'm not as used to it.
flr
i'm not gonna say which one is better, i will just send bombjj's channel to break any despair about a controller playstyle
dracobuster
Personally for me I like keyboard because it allows more freedom for my arms and wrists to move. This lets me play as if I was actually striking a taiko drum controller and you can get rebound saving you stamina. The button keybinds also let you play in a more comfortable way rather than having to work around a small controller.
Vaxii
Keyboard, I've tried playing with a Xbox controller but the buttons can get caught on the Xbox controller shell, leading to stuck buttons which in a rhythm game where there is no time to spare this can mess up things badly, whereas on a keyboard it's more free and is less likely to get caught on other things, also in my experience Xbox controllers can also move a lot during gameplay which again can lead to annoying misses where as on keyboard it's pretty stuck to the desk, basically the Xbox controller works fine for lower level maps (maybe 4-5*s at max) where as once you go to 6* and above you need a lot more precise timing and the contoller is just too risky for that by then. hope this helps!