forum

Dragging or Hovering, any tips?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
denara
Sup guys,

I just got my tablet (Intuos) yesterday. After the whole troubleshooting I went practising and reached the "skill level" I had with my mouse before only after a few hours (3 or so).

The awkward thing is that I'm dragging all time long. Yes, of course it's somemthing you have to decide yourself whether if you drag or hover,
but I heard - and it seems legit to me - that's better to hover. So I would like to get common with hovering as fast as possible.

I tried it out, but I was very very inaccurate with it so I was like "fuck it" and switched to dragging again.
Of course I've just played for a few hours and I know that I have to practice etc, but I was curious if you guys have some tips or suggestions for me regarding Hovering.

I'm playing with the right hand.
Which part of the hand is the most comfortable to place on the tablet while hovering? Aside / on the auricular finger or better on the heel of hand?
Or should I lay my middle finger down on the tablet and just lay the tip of the pen on it?
How do you guys play?
deletemyaccount
May I ask what active area you are using? Hovering may feel wierd at first because you're used to dragging so I guess if you don't want to wear down your nib just keep practicing hovering. It is faster when you use larger active areas to hover.
buny
want me to tell you how to wipe your ass too?

obviously the most comfortable is what feels comfortable to you.
Topic Starter
denara

Philantropist wrote:

May I ask what active area you are using?
I think it's almost full area, but 1280x800 resolution and windowed mode on osu!.
I tried a few and I think I set it a little bit smaller to be faster.

(If you mean the settings of the tablet by "area"?)

buny wrote:

Calm. I know I have to find it out myself. I thought there's maybe just a general thing what you should care about or some shit.
How do you do it, buny?
Blueprint

buny wrote:

I LOLD
Myke B
It's totally fine to drag - I naturally did when I first started using full area and so do other players (that are better than me) to this day. The only reason I switched was because I made my tablet area smaller, and it was more natural for me to hover. Since you just got a tablet, try starting with full area for a while, and then maybe change it up if it feels awkward to you. I had to move my hand into uncomfortable positions for bottom right notes, so that's why I changed mine to smaller.
Topic Starter
denara

Myke B wrote:

It's totally fine to drag - I naturally did when I first started using full area and so do other players (that are better than me) to this day. The only reason I switched was because I made my tablet area smaller, and it was more natural for me to hover. Since you just got a tablet, try starting with full area for a while, and then maybe change it up if it feels awkward to you. I had to move my hand into uncomfortable positions for bottom right notes, so that's why I changed mine to smaller.
Thanks dude. :)

Is it really true that it can get damaged by dragging?
I mean.. yeah.. it looks more used than hovering ofc, but can it really get damaged?
deletemyaccount
It won't actually really damage your tablet, might scratch it if you press really hard but really most the damage is done to the nib - which is supposed to be worn down anyway thats why they give you extras.
WindyExplorer
i can tell you that hovering will be completely weird feeling because ur basically playing in the air lol compared to haveing something to feed back where your moving your pen. but i have been hovering since the day i bought my tablet and i have yet to change any nips my tablet still looks brand new and i use it everytime i play osu!. some drag some hover its just a personal thing but i would hover if u dont want to end up buying nips again.
Soulg
#dragsupremacy
Myke B

denara wrote:

Myke B wrote:

Thanks dude. :)

Is it really true that it can get damaged by dragging?
I mean.. yeah.. it looks more used than hovering ofc, but can it really get damaged?
Yes it can.. How long will it take for it to really become damaged? Hard to say. I dragged on mine for seriously about a year, and I still have no problems.
Saint_old
flip a coin
Pettanko
why are you asking other people for advice on what feels comfortable for you?

literally everyone with a tablet has their own variation on how to hold/move their tablet pen

you want some advice on hovering? try your best to not let the tip of the pen touch the tablet surface while playing
Rave
My pen tip is chipped in half and I only drag it when I spin, would not recommend dragging.

Saint wrote:

flip a coin
Other then that, try this.
RaneFire

Rave wrote:

My pen tip is chipped in half and I only drag it when I spin, would not recommend dragging.
Spin-dragging is the worst... I also used to drag only for spinners when I started, because that was the only way I could draw something that even remotely looked like a circle. Of course the nib was worn down to half in a single day, and I subsequently practiced hover-spinning for a whole weekend.

Using a screen protector on your tablet is a decent solution, but I can't stand them.
meigs2
I do a hybrid technique, but it came from going from dragging to hovering. I hold the pen in a weird way, so that my middle finger is holding the pen, but is also near the bottom of the pen so it touches the surface of the tablet. Now, I can easily stop whenever I need to for long jumps by pressing my finger down a little, yet I’m still able to hover whenever I need to. Once again, this was kind of second hand and I didn't even realize I did it until recently. Personally, I’d recommend hovering as you can make harder jumps easier, but that’s just my opinion. I dragged for a while, but found it’s not comfortable for me.

Basically, just do whatever is comfortable for you!