forum

Question about reading higher note density

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
vaelora
Hey everyone, I have a newbie question, primarily focused on 7k play.

I'm struggling with reading higher note density, and currently, I've been increasing my scroll speed to cope with harder maps. I started at 20 and had to keep going up to around 30-31 to maintain getting S ranks on 3+ star maps. However, I feel like constantly increasing scroll speed might not be the best approach (and it feels like my eyes are getting fatigued really fast).

I've found that 24 scroll speed feels most comfortable for my eyes, but my accuracy drops from 98% on 2-star maps to 90%. Any tips on how to effectively read higher note density without relying solely on increasing scroll speed? Should I stick with a lower speed like 24, even if it affects my accuracy?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
UltraBlack
If it affects your accuracy then you must find the reason why it is happening. Also, higher note density will be insane on high tier game sometime so eventually you will get used to it. If it is dense then you probably are not be able to play it yet. But yeah, you are probably just pressing it earlier, change your hitposition and you should be fine.
Stickman92
If I had to guess, you're probably reacting to the notes on screen instead of timing it to the rhythm of the music.

As maps get harder, note density tends to go up, so does pattern complexity.
Slow scroll speed-> Density goes up, you have more time to read pattern : harder to read but more time to read it
High scroll speed-> Density goes down, you have less time to read pattern : easier to read but less time to read it

Just do whats comfortable, seems like that's 24 for you, probably, idk. You'll find scrollspeed naturally goes up as you improve in the game, no need to force it, its not that important.

As for reading higher note density.You can always read higher note density by reducing scroll speed. You probably meant reading harder/new patterns. Repeated exposure to a wide variety of patterns will get you comfortable with them (i.e. easier to read).

"I fear not the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times, but I fear the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once." - Not Bruce Lee
Topic Starter
vaelora

Stickman92 wrote:

If I had to guess, you're probably reacting to the notes on screen instead of timing it to the rhythm of the music.

As maps get harder, note density tends to go up, so does pattern complexity.
Slow scroll speed-> Density goes up, you have more time to read pattern : harder to read but more time to read it
High scroll speed-> Density goes down, you have less time to read pattern : easier to read but less time to read it

Just do whats comfortable, seems like that's 24 for you, probably, idk. You'll find scrollspeed naturally goes up as you improve in the game, no need to force it, its not that important.

As for reading higher note density.You can always read higher note density by reducing scroll speed. You probably meant reading harder/new patterns. Repeated exposure to a wide variety of patterns will get you comfortable with them (i.e. easier to read).

"I fear not the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times, but I fear the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once." - Not Bruce Lee
Thanks for the reply!

At my current level it's not the patterns I am having trouble with but literally that my brain can't handle having multiple patterns on the screen(if that makes sense). Even if the patters are really trivial I just get confused and start tapping the wrong keys for notes that I have not to hit yet.
So for now I've always been able to just crank up the scroll speed so that there are as few notes as possible on the screen. So < 2 star maps I can read fine with 20 for 2-3 i have to play with 22-28 and >3 with 30-31.

I'll try to just stick with 24 and try to get used to having more notes on the screen, just a bit frustrating to B rank maps I know I can easily S if I just crank up the scroll speed haha.
Stickman92
Reading means to see, understand and EXECUTE the pattern. Atleast thats what I mean when I talk about reading.
So if you can read a pattern, then you can play it. Otherwise you're still learning it.

Sometimes thats execution part is difficult. You can see and visually understand the pattern on screen, but when it's time for the brain to tell the fingers what to do. It chooses to do a brain-fart, fingers lock up or get twisted into spaghetti, and everything goes to the sh*tter. I think you're talking about something like that.

Scroll-speed is just personal preference. I'd stick with what I find most comfortable, which used to be 24(fixed) for me. You should do the same, whether thats 24 or 20 or 30 or something else.

Can't give any practical gameplay advice since I rarely touch the game.

community/forums/topics/146615?n=1 might help a bit more
midgy
increasing your scroll speed when new is very normal most people end up between 26-31 depending on their skin, i would say it's fine to fiddle with your scroll speed but if one feels right like 24 try not to lower for easier maps and instead play them more to try to get back to where you were, if it still feels bad you could try looking for a new skin different, skins can make the game much more/less readable depending on your preferences and the scroll speed would change depending on it

i think the problem is that you are trying to read every single note instead of looking at patterns they make, the most important thing you can do at your level is just to play more unique maps, try to download lots of stuff you haven't played, seeing a great variety of patterns makes them feel more comprehensible after a while, with 7k finding a lot of easier maps like that can be difficult but i would recommend going though ranked and just downloading anything that has a difficulty that's between 2-3.5*, sort by difficulty and just put a score on everything so you can come back and try beat it later (maybe even make a collection of the maps you specifically want to come back and beat the score, it's a great way to notice your progress)

you could also try out using mods like the HT(halftime) mod to slow harder maps down which will let you see even more pattern variety or the RD(random) which shifts all the columns around randomly to stop you from just memorising a map

i would normally recommend trying to multi too but it's rare to see 7k lobbies