forum

Sort songs by language [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
bannie_old
from a long time ago.

this would be a great new feature to have.
especially for people who listen to songs from various countries

english, jap, korean, mandarin, canto... and perhaps even between taiwan and china.

will make it a lot easier to find songs
thanks
abalee
first of all, China and Taiwan district are using the same language. please keep it in mind.

and how could we sort it? by using tags or something? or maybe let osu! itself check the song language? lol
arien666
It seems difficult to sort songs by language
Unless using Romanization,it seems impossible :3
So, I don't agree this thing :(
Topic Starter
bannie_old
to 2nd poster

I dont think you understand what I meant.

I said we can split it into languages, and after that we can even split it up further to enhance user friendliness on the site by separating it into taiwan and china. As mandarin is a very widespread language, splitting up into different countries will facilitate song searching.

to 3rd poster.

All the songs are currently grouped according to Pop/Rock.... the mods can easily add an additional grouping factor. It is very difficult to search for songs with the current system. Examples are songs by SHE, they exist on the site but cannot be found on the search engine.

I think it is time OSU moved a step up and improved themselves! I have been playing osu for nearly a year now? and its disappointing to see little improvements in user friendliness/search engine.
Topic Starter
bannie_old

abalee wrote:

first of all, China and Taiwan district are using the same language. please keep it in mind.

and how could we sort it? by using tags or something? or maybe let osu! itself check the song language? lol

it is quite simple if you understand the basics of how songs are currently sorted into different categories.

taiwan is a country, not a district, please have some respect for other countries =)

and in fact, the common language is mandarin but there are wide variations in the accent that makes it quite simple to distinguish between a taiwanese and a china man/woman.
Topic Starter
bannie_old

arken1015 wrote:

It seems difficult to sort songs by language
Unless using Romanization,it seems impossible :3
So, I don't agree this thing :(

hi. it is simple if it is sorted according to how it is done now on the website.

pop/rock/tv?/anime/

you would just have to add
cpop/jpop/kpop.

songs can come under two categories. such as anime and jpop...

this will faciliate song searching.

for a quad lingual like me.

sometimes i feel like playing a japanese song , its easy to find.

but when i feel like maybe a mandarin or a cantonese song, it is much more difficult.
abalee
let's hit the point: if you just want to sort songs by language , just add tags on every maps, it is simple.

and i really don't want to have any political discussion at osu!. if it is caused by me, i will say sorry.but i think i don't caused it :P
LuigiHann
This would be possible (and relatively simple) to add to the online listing, adding another drop-down menu like the Genre one (but separate from the genre one). But it would be server-side so it wouldn't really be sortable in-game. And some poor sap (Larto?) would have to go through and manually indicate the language for each map
Mystearica

bannie wrote:

sometimes i feel like playing a japanese song , its easy to find.

but when i feel like maybe a mandarin or a cantonese song, it is much more difficult.
Uh just search the romanization like you did for the Japanese songs if you're so darn good with languages, which you seem to be? I'm assuming you know a couple variations of Mandarin/Cantonese since you lectured a Chinese player on their own language.

I don't see this as necessary really. This can just be done through tags (I always add J-Pop or whatever to my tags), and you can also just search for the artist anyway if you know what song you want to play. And IMHO tags right now are already doing a pretty good job.
Echo
Long story short, this is impossible unless *someone* goes through the thousands of beatmaps we currently have and adds an extra tag/whatever to indicate the language of the song.
Pasonia
We can probably ignore the first few packs of beatmaps and start sorting it out, but it will take a good length of time IF this actually takes root.

This will definitely need a sustained community-driven effort to track the language by beatmap pack number (I would assume peppy works better if we can provide him with with beatmap set numbers pointing to languages, rather than track every single song title which is bollocks and a bloody waste of time). Considering the power of tags... is there a real need to do something like this?
peppy
Packs? What? Did I miss something?
Pasonia
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
I don't see how packs are involved in this, and why we would be skipping 50 maps out of thousands. Also the choice of langauge would be the same as genre, not some half-assed text file.
Kitsunemimi
No support from me :|

I think it's just impractical. It's not like we have very large, significant amounts of songs from different languages other than Japanese; yet many of those have romanized titles. So we can't take any steps up language-wise, until we have more songs in other languages.
Topic Starter
bannie_old
just on the server. not in game

there is no clear genre for pop songs in other languages

and to whoever who said it was unnecessary because we dont have a great number of diverse songs
it will only be so much more difficult when we DO have more songs
Kharl
This feature has been implemented. Go to Beatmap Listing page and you'll see a new language drop-down menu.
Topic Starter
bannie_old
thank you, i just noticed the change today, and wanted to come back and thank the people who read my thread and implemented change.

thank you!