forum

difference between old style mapping and current beatmaps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Unconcious
i really don't get the difference ._.
Shadow
Do this then,

Download the beatmap packs in increments of 1 > 50 > 100 > 150 etc Beatmap Packs here. Testplay the older maps then move on to the newer maps.

If you still don't get it, well, then I don't know =p

GLHF
dennischan
In a nutshell, old maps are mapped poorly
while most new maps utilize flow and space mapping.
edit: (I'm sorry if I offend you guys...)
LexiaLovesU
In older mapping back then the ranking process was more lenient so you would often see old maps with spacing issues Longer unessicary sliders. Unrankable sliders like hold sliders which mimics the SV of a sliders using red anchors back then this was rankable but not now ...etc
In newer mapping the ranking process is very strict not allowing unessicary spacing. or Sliders being uneedingly long. and nothing unrankable as you would think. a;so that maps now must flow well. that's the difference
dennischan
In total agreement with Lexia.
another thing is that we have better mappers than before,
val0108 , skystar , RLC etc.
and mappers have much more tools on their disposal
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
old maps are easier in jumps, but with lower approachrate
Kodora
Some older maps have much more effort at rhythm & hitsounds job than newest ones.
Ekaru
The maps that were widely liked back then:

-Tended to have a bigger emphasis on the melody than modern maps
-Cared a lot about flow but not so much about prettiness
-Tended to be around a Hard difficulty with the occasional Insane. Insanes started becoming more and more common as you get deeper in 2009 though.
-Made it very easy to tell who mapped it
-Sometimes did "unrankable" things but nobody gave a fuck if it was executed well.
-Were spaced well

As for the shit maps... Those are best off forgotten and not really discussed. Even back then they weren't that widely liked. In a lot of ways the ranking system was pretty lenient which resulted in a really wide range of quality. You had your James, Rolls, and DJPops and then you had your "lolspacing" guys.

That said, the good maps from back then tend to be enjoyable even today, but there's so much shit to wade through that you pretty much need an oldfag to help guide you through the crap if you want to explore old maps.
Raging Bull
DJPop's railgun/index maps were pretty nice.
jericho2442

dennischan wrote:

In total agreement with Lexia.
another thing is that we have better mappers than before,
val0108 , skystar , RLC etc.
and mappers have much more tools on their disposal
ahhh gotta love the new guys...........wow. actually maps in the old days was forced onto realistic spacing. ranking used to be a billion times harder than nowadays due to an extremely strict bat system, since "the bat thinks this is wrong" was something what could stop your map from being ranked and you actually had to listen to mods and use them to improve the map.

nowadays everything is more easy going and much much more easy to get a rank. looser guidelines and rules and a focus more on actual difficulty compared to creating the map to go with the song.

also the average time to get a map ranked used to be a lot higher with the average being beween 3 and 5 months (except from a few guys haha) but it also used to be a lot easier to get mods so maps got improved more and reached a better overall quality.

in short i would clearly say maps in the older times (not the first set ofc since everything was still being learned) was of a much more higher quality in the case of following the song they are based off, jumps needed a reason and doing anything what was stupid was instantly a nono.

while nowadays maps are ofc at a much lower quality due to the game becoming much bigger so becoming impossible t keep that same standards (which is normal) and modding is not as widespread due to...i reall dont know but people dont mod much nowadays. BUT nowadays maps are ofc much more "pretty" due to the more advanced tools, the new slider system and the focus change from flow over to beauty. ALSO the biggest advantage to nowadays mapping is you have a LOT more freedom. in the old days freedom to do "what ever you want" did not exsist much so thats one positive! :p

both have pro's and cons but to say something so naive over the people who prett much invented everything you do in mapping is kinda showing no respect for those who helped build this community, maps was not pretty back then, but back then we had to make a slider pretty ourselves. osu didnt do it for us ;)
Kodora

jericho2442 wrote:

in short i would clearly say maps in the older times (not the first set ofc since everything was still being learned) was of a much more higher quality in the case of following the song they are based off, jumps needed a reason and doing anything what was stupid was instantly a nono.
+++
JOEDE12
Also, don't old beatmaps have no commentary? :shock: :shock: :shock:
BurnedTacoSauce

dennischan wrote:

In a nutshell, old maps are mapped poorly
while most new maps utilize flow and space mapping.
edit: (I'm sorry if I offend you guys...)
I personally find old maps very, VERY, fun. You usually have to rely on the song rather than the map which is what maps these days lack
Bara-
wow nice bump

I think, that with nowadays' meta this question doesn't even need to be asked. Playability/Rhythm/Aesthetics now are sooo much better
BounceBabe
Aesthetics maybe but rhythm and playability? No.
clayton
All of the ranked maps hold some value in one way or another!

I think in recent years mapping has tended towards simpler rhythms that include more instruments, rather than just the main melody--- whether or not that's a good thing is for you to decide. The mean difficulty (in Star Rating) of most sets is quite a bit higher, too.

Here's to this thread being bumped again in a few months!