forum

Slump for a month(or 2) Style Changing

posted
Total Posts
show more
Myke B

EcksDee wrote:

Myke B wrote:

Well you answer'd my question I thought it was a bad thing for me to do exactly that

:) just make sure you don't play maps you have to alternate too much, because then you aren't practicing single tapping! Eventually you will be able to single tap the stuff you had to alternate. Good luck :)
I don't think alternating players play because it's easier. I can only speak for myself yeah but I alternate as an alternative(lol) to singletapping.

I can singletap up to and including Yuyu Metal but it's just more natural to alternate.

Also that Lewa quote is IMO a bit shit cause it says "singletap until you can't" not "Do whichever feels more natural to you at whatever speed", which is what it should say.

There's no ultimate law of the universe that says singletapping is somehow more accurate or better for lower speeds than alternating.

Tho I aint anywhere near pro level anyway so complementary pinch of salt is to your right
Well, if you prefer alternating, then you prefer alternating. I think what lewa says is aimed towards people who are conflicted whether or not to switch from single tapping to alternating. Alternating is technically easier once you've got a bit of practice with it, unless you have a real problem with keeping rhythm with 2 fingers for some reason. Just my opinion.
RaneFire

Brian OA wrote:

SPOILER
I started alternating, though over time I tried out singletapping, which eventually got me torn between both styles. It was pretty frustrating since I would trip up and miss really easy 1/2 notes.

The problem, I gathered, wasn't that I needed to be consistent with one style, but that I wasn't good enough at either. I had trouble alternating 210+ 1/2's for more than 8 notes and my singletapping was limited to my middle finger. Similarly, I could only start streams with my middle finger, and alternating stacks of 1/2's was confusing. So I practiced alternating and tried singletapping with my index finger more often.

Nowadays I really just switch styles as I see fit mid-song, switching my singletapping finger sporadically or alternating.
This is almost exactly my story. Copyright infringement!

You should have continued single-tapping. It is just a play style. There is nothing to say you can't learn alternating later, or that you can't if you don't start now. It's also easier to learn it later once you're better at the game. Or just apply speed separation logic: Only alternate stuff that's too fast to single-tap. That way you don't confuse yourself.

I get the feeling you aren't writing the full story either... "Motivated" you to alternate? There must have been a root thought, because SilviA isn't it. If you somehow feel you're accomplishing better hand-eye coordination, or growing your set of skills by learning to alternate, I can assure you it's not like that. I thought this way at first, and it's really a good idea to stick to one style... Seriously. Getting better at the game =/= learning more styles, you just slow yourself down.
Bweh

Soarezi wrote:

If you want to become fast at osu, you have to push yourself to the limit, which is by singletapping (both fingers is the best). Alternating doesn't cause any stress to your fingers.
True, but it does require a good deal of coordination to do properly. I don't neglect singletapping anyway; I'm constantly trying to match my singletapping for both fingers to my alternating speed. At least, I found that my streaming range increased by about 30 when I picked up singletapping consistently.

I also don't know if it makes a difference, but I singletap with my finger while trying to minimize the use of the wrist. Well, I started doing this a week ago
EcksDee

Soarezi wrote:

If you want to become fast at osu, you have to push yourself to the limit, which is by singletapping (both fingers is the best). Alternating doesn't cause any stress to your fingers.
I'm not sure that's exactly how it works.

Singletapping tires your arm out, so how does that help? It won't help you get more accurate, that comes with practice and experience. It won't increase your streaming speed, that comes from two fingers using COMPLETELY different movements to singletapping.
Bweh

EcksDee wrote:

Soarezi wrote:

I'm not sure that's exactly how it works.

Singletapping tires your arm out, so how does that help? It won't help you get more accurate, that comes with practice and experience. It won't increase your streaming speed, that comes from two fingers using COMPLETELY different movements to singletapping.
Not necessarily.

You can singletap solely with your finger, wrist, arm, or even shoulder if you put enough effort into it. Hell, I've seen people tap with their feet. Even then, you still have to tense your finger as your body part does the tapping. It puts stress on it, one way or another.

It's also easy to do rhythmically, at least much more so than alternating. So once you get the beat down it's fairly easy to get accurate results.

Streaming is basically singletapping both of you fingers at the same time. The movement is essentially the same, you're just using another finger on top of the usual one to do 1/4 instead of 1/2.
EcksDee

Brian OA wrote:

EcksDee wrote:

Not necessarily.

You can singletap solely with your finger, wrist, arm, or even shoulder if you put enough effort into it. Hell, I've seen people tap with their feet. Even then, you still have to tense your finger as your body part does the tapping. It puts stress on it, one way or another.

It's also easy to do rhythmically, at least much more so than alternating. So once you get the beat down it's fairly easy to get accurate results.

Streaming is basically singletapping both of you fingers at the same time. The movement is essentially the same, you're just using another finger on top of the usual one to do 1/4 instead of 1/2.
No it ism't the same movement. Most singletappers I see move most of their wrist and their arms to move their single, tensed up finger up and down. When they get to a stream their arm relaxes and their fingers start moving on their own (onii-chan etc)

That's literally not the same movement.
Soarezi
That's the same as asking why do i lift less when i don't lift at all. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
EcksDee

Soarezi wrote:

That's the same as asking why do i lift less when i don't lift at all. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
That also makes as much sense as analogy
Soarezi
i was about to quote that with something inappropriate, but then i chose not to because i cba getting silenced again
Myke B
mfw single tapping doesn't increase your stream.. ofc it does. How does tiring your arm out help? Because it's called endurance. If you keep doing the same thing over and over, it becomes easier.. This is like life 101 lol.
EcksDee

Myke B wrote:

mfw single tapping doesn't increase your stream.. ofc it does. How does tiring your arm out help? Because it's called endurance. If you keep doing the same thing over and over, it becomes easier.. This is like life 101 lol.
And biology and eyes 101 says that the movement you make when singletapping tires different muscles than the movement you make when streaming.

Seriously, just do fast singletapping and look at your arm, then do streaming and look at your fingers. It's completely, COMPLETELY different.

Going with that lifting thing, leg day doesn't increase arm strength.
Myke B

EcksDee wrote:

Myke B wrote:

And biology and eyes 101 says that the movement you make when singletapping tires different muscles than the movement you make when streaming.

Seriously, just do fast singletapping and look at your arm, then do streaming and look at your fingers. It's completely, COMPLETELY different.

Going with that lifting thing, leg day doesn't increase arm strength.
If I'm not mistaken, you stream with 2 fingers. So if you improve one of those fingers a bunch, then you're streaming will go up. This is a fact. Saying that single tapping won't help your stream at all is just stupid.
I also don't bench with my arm's and legs lol, saying that leg day doesn't increase arm strength implies that streaming doesn't require you to use both fingers.
EcksDee

Myke B wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, you stream with 2 fingers. So if you improve one of those fingers a bunch, then you're streaming will go up. This is a fact. Saying that single tapping won't help your stream at all is just stupid.
I also don't bench with my arm's and legs lol, saying that leg day doesn't increase arm strength implies that streaming doesn't require you to use both fingers.
Fffffucking go do fast singletapping, the kind that actually tires you out, and LOOK AT YOUR HAND. Chances are, your FINGER doesn't move, which means you're not at all exercising the muscles which actually move your fingers, which are the same muscles you use when you stream.

I said leg day and arm strength because that's literally what it is. It's different muscles entirely for different movements.

You improve your singletapping speed when you singletap fast and increase your stamina, that's true, but there isn't any connection between singletapping and streaming.
Myke B

EcksDee wrote:

Myke B wrote:

Fffffucking go do fast singletapping, the kind that actually tires you out, and LOOK AT YOUR HAND. Chances are, your FINGER doesn't move, which means you're not at all exercising the muscles which actually move your fingers, which are the same muscles you use when you stream.

I said leg day and arm strength because that's literally what it is. It's different muscles entirely for different movements.

You improve your singletapping speed when you singletap fast and increase your stamina, that's true, but there isn't any connection between singletapping and streaming.
Then why do some top players say/do single tapping with their no dominate tapping finger to help increase their stream? It's just your single tapping finger and your other finger single tapping fast in unison to stream no?
winber1

EcksDee wrote:

You aren't getting the whole picture; they are not completely different. In general, the main muscles being trained are different, but if you pay more attention, you also train to a lesser extent the streaming muscles as well. To single tap, in addition to tensing up your arm and even shoulder, you have to tense up around your finger and knuckle area, which is also what you do when you steam (just to put it simply). This is why obviously single tapping is not the most effective way of training streaming (durr), but it helps.

And as stated single tapping increases endurance. And also if you try to warm up by only single tapping, you will also notice that you stream speed will also be "warmed up." If the muscles were completely different, no muscle needed for streaming would be used, and no "warming up" would have been done by the streaming muscles, and technically you wouldn't be able to stream as if you've already warmed up.
EcksDee

winber1 wrote:

You aren't getting the whole picture; they are not completely different. In general, the main muscles being trained are different, but if you pay more attention, you also train to a lesser extent the streaming muscles as well. To single tap, in addition to tensing up your arm and even shoulder, you have to tense up around your finger and knuckle area, which is also what you do when you steam (just to put it simply). This is why obviously single tapping is not the most effective way of training streaming (durr), but it helps.

And as stated single tapping increases endurance. And also if you try to warm up by only single tapping, you will also notice that you stream speed will also be "warmed up." If the muscles were completely different, no muscle needed for streaming would be used, and no "warming up" would have been done by the streaming muscles, and technically you wouldn't be able to stream as if you've already warmed up.
Unfortunately I gotta do the "to each his own" and "agree to disagree" shit here, cause singletapping, for me, doesn't do anything of the sort.

I just based my opinions off that fact and some logic, but if that's not the norm fair enough, I'll shut up.
Soarezi
Also rrtyui trains singletapping with both fingers to increase speed
RaneFire
Single-tapping increases endurance.

Alternating 1/4 streams increases endurance. Single-tappers alternate streams.

Alternating 1/2's with occasional triples, etc. does not.

Single-tapping encompasses both forms of endurance building.
Bweh

EcksDee wrote:

Unfortunately I gotta do the "to each his own" and "agree to disagree" shit here.
no

There is an objective answer to this issue; we're not having a philosophical debate here.
Myke B

Brian OA wrote:

no

There is an objective answer to this issue; we're not having a philosophical debate here.
lool.

Soarezi wrote:

Also rrtyui trains singletapping with both fingers to increase speed
See, I wasn't lying :P
-Chronopolis-
I used to be completely unable to alternate, but I picked up rudimentary skills when I went down to learn how to do slow streams properly and maps like http://osu.ppy.sh/b/248490&m=0 (HT).
Dexus
Single tap without your wrist/arm and just your fingers. It would be exactly the same as when you're streaming (except you're using only one finger at the moment) and that would be the best method to increase your streaming ability (Aside from actually, you know streaming). A nice way to practice this is to play slow-ish djpop style maps and lift your fingers higher than you normally play.

practice. practice. practice. Also finger stretching before you play and after you play for the day. Warming up takes play in this too; play slow maps to fast maps instead of jumping to fast maps right away.

Alternating is lazy and you wont improve anything really from it. (I used to alternate for years, very little improvement was had until I switched to single tapping). It's only really good for new players so they can get into the motion of streams (alternating = slow streaming). After you feel comfortable with it you should switch over to single tapping and practicing slow streams and building your speed.
RaneFire

Dexus wrote:

Single tap without your wrist/arm and just your fingers. It would be exactly the same as when you're streaming (except you're using only one finger at the moment) and that would be the best method to increase your streaming ability (Aside from actually, you know streaming). A nice way to practice this is to play slow-ish djpop style maps and lift your fingers higher than you normally play.
I can confirm this works for me, although I practice on stream maps. However the reason I am doing this is partly because of dominant hand vs non-dominant hand.

My right hand can single-tap finger-only with either index/middle finger really fast, no wrist required. My left hand cannot (does the pressing). My lefty middle-finger especially could only do like 85 BPM 1/4 with a finger-only movement, but my right hand's middle-finger can do about 120 BPM 1/4. Tested on deathstreams. This is quite an imbalance, and would definitely indicate that it's also fixable in some way, so I am pursuing this method to try and do that. I've increased it's speed to about 100 BPM now and hope to eventually get it on par with my right hand.

Also training a specific finger probably does more for your stream speed, because the streaming motion allows both fingers to assist each other as one presses down, helping to lift the other up. Without that aid, a single finger has to do all the lifting work by itself, so it's decent training and your stream speed should always be slightly faster than your slowest finger (finger-only). This is the only reason I can even stream up to 220bpm, albeit for a short time, because of one finger's limitation.
GoldenWolf
If you don't know how to stream, singletapping won't help you increase streaming speed
Myke B

GoldenWolf wrote:

If you don't know how to stream, singletapping won't help you increase streaming speed
How can someone, other than a newbie, not know how to stream?
GoldenWolf
You'd be surprised how many people just mash away and think they're able to stream
Almost

Myke B wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

How can someone, other than a newbie, not know how to stream?
I forgot how to stream if that counts for anything...
Topic Starter
Slith
I was just asking for the pro's and con's of both. why has this come to this disagreement >.>
Bweh
Because opinions
PlasticSmoothie

Slith wrote:

I was just asking for the pro's and con's of both. why has this come to this disagreement >.>
Mentioning singletapping vs alternating will inevitably lead into a useless argument. Every time.
Illkryn
Play Count: 688

I wouldn't worry too much yet, friend.
Just try to have fun while improving and do whatever feels right to you, there is no right or wrong, only what you like best.

Though I do think single tapping > alternating :^)

EDIT: after thinking long and hard about my post, I thought something felt off and realised that's your osu mania playcount, everyone bask in my idiocy
Myke B
I thought only newbies mashed anyways :P
Soulg
i've learned how to stream and then forgotten more times than i can count.

perpetually having problems with 180 bpm is not fun at all.
Myke B

Soulg wrote:

i've learned how to stream and then forgotten more times than i can count.

perpetually having problems with 180 bpm is not fun at all.
I bet O.o