forum

How to alternate right

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NoYzE
Hey there, i am quite at a point where i'll have to sort out some things before i can improve further.

I play with kddk and i can play ddd, kkk, ddk, kkd, dkk, kdd, dkkd, kddk and so on but if there is a fast (200bpm+ oni) dkdkd or kdkdk and combinations i fail because i use right hand for starting dons and kats and left hand for follow ups.

So if there is ddkk i would play right, left, right, left but if there is a dkkd i would play right, right, left, right.
This isn't much of a problem because after i used the both right fingers, there is a break, where i can rest while using the left one, but if there is dkdkdkd there is no time to rest and to prepare for the next pattern...

I've tried to play kats with the left hand, but if i start don streams with the right hand and i have ddkk i would have to play right, left, left, right resulting in the same problem with some patterns.

So my question is basically: Is there a "right" way to play patterns regarding alternating?
I don't want to get bad habits, and learn it the right way, so i can practice towards onis.

Greetings,
NoYzE
karterfreak
Technically the right way to learn how to alternate is to quite simply.... always alternate. Not to sound crude, but its true!

You'll basically need to learn every pattern (and its variants) twice, once for starting on left and and once for starting on right. A good way to learn to do this is to play a song from start to finish using your left hand as the starting hand, and then do it again using your right hand at the starting hand.

Playing with full alternating is a very difficult thing to do, but can be very, VERY rewarding in the long run as you won't have the same speed limitations that other playstyles do.

Another option which can get you pretty far is to just play patterns in a way you learned them, if you have to play a dkkd pattern doing left left right left, then so what? you can do it, and honestly you wont hit any serious limitations until 250bpm+.
Luna
I play everything right left right left... regardless of pattern.
It's not very intuitive at first and complex patterns are hard to learn, but it's worth it.
For example, on dkd I'd play both d with the right hand and the k with the left, while kdk would be the inverse (k with right hand, d with left).

/E: Tasha ninja
Topic Starter
NoYzE
Alright.
Thank you for your opinions.
I'll try to practice some "everything" alternating :)
Coro
http://taikotime.blogspot.sg/2010/11/pl ... s.html?m=1

The first part of this article talks about handswitching, it might be relevant~
Topic Starter
NoYzE

CoroQuetz wrote:

http://taikotime.blogspot.sg/2010/11/playing-tips.html?m=1

The first part of this article talks about handswitching, it might be relevant~
Wow! Thank you very much :)
For some reason i did not see this before.