forum

[invalid] Multiplayer

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
IOException
Before I start, let me just say that I have nothing against Bancho, and I want this to be an addition to multiplayer, not to replace Bancho. Bancho is good.

If you've played Minecraft on a server before, you'll know that Minecraft Server is run on a computer (not Mojang's), and then a number of other players can connect, this number being set by the server admin. Also, a number of other options can be set by the server admin.

It'd be cool if osu! could have a downloadable server program. If this can happen, we can have more than 8 players in a server room. I'm guessing you could have an option to submit progress occasionally to Bancho for multiplayer game history. Also, LAN multiplayer would be useful for this server application.

I don't know if this is a practical idea but please give me feedback :P
Myke B
Sort of interesting, I guess? But you essentially couldn't upload any good scores anyone gets :/ I think it would also just be too much of a hassle. The good thing about the multiplayer, is that it's quick and easy to find/make a lobby.
uzzi
I like the LAN multiplayer option, however I can only see myself using this quite rarely (for parties where my friends have horribad internet).
FrzR
I would want to see this happen.
smoogipoo
Minecraft was designed with the "separate server" thing in mind, however I doubt osu! ever was. I'm not going to try and guess the inner workings of Bancho and osu!, but I have a feeling this would require a massive update to osu! as a whole - both security and functionality.

I also think osu! was designed for 8 players, where you can have 2 teams playing TAG4 against each other. There is also quite rarely (in my opinion) a situation in which more than 8 players fought for a room that wasn't premade. Again, in my opinion, what would happen with larger rooms is everyone would move there and there would be less rooms in total.
You have to also keep in mind that the score screen was also designed for 8 players, not more. Again, peppy would have to change osu! quite a bit I think.

The more time peppy spends on implementing these features is less time that he spends working on other features that have been in development since years ago (namely Clans and Touhosu). I would rather him spend his time working on those because I don't really see a point to this.
Topic Starter
IOException
OK. I understand. Thanks for your opinions.
TheVileOne
peppy has already said that LAN support wont be added to the game.

Self hosted servers are more vulnerable to exploits to boot.
Topic Starter
IOException
OK. Thanks.