forum

Shoulder/tapping hand question

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Myke B
Just looking for some opinions here. I tend to tense up my shoulder when streaming or single tapping fast - does anyone else do this consistently? I feel like it really wares on my stamina, but it's just natural in order for me to tap fast ~ 240 bpm maps (maybe not super fast, but it's my level). Do I force myself to not do this, or just give in and I'll eventually be able to do it for longer without getting tired? Second question is about my tapping hand - I already made a post about forearm and table space, but I'm more curious about the fingers themselves. I cock my pinky and ring finger back in order for me to stream faster, but I too feel like this wears on my stamina. Everything I do just feels uncomfortable as fuck, but it helps me go faster. Is it better to have a lot or a little arch on your middle/index finger? what do you do with your ring/pinkie finger? Do you cock them back, just let them rest on a key? I'm mostly looking for opinions, and ideas on what to try. Thanks for taking the time to read.
pielak213
­
Topic Starter
Myke B

pielak213 wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/99612
? Please re-read or read the whole thing. There isn't a single answer to this that can be fulfilled in that thread (which I've read numerous times..)
Mathsma
Tensing your shoulder isn't bad, I don't really notice how I single tap but I may tense my shoulder when I push past my limits. Also the pinky thing is very common when streaming or single tapping fast. It doesn't really matter what you do, most people don't even pay attention to it, they just let it do whatever and let it fall in to the most comfortable position.
pielak213
­
Topic Starter
Myke B

pielak213 wrote:

Myke B wrote:

? Please re-read or read the whole thing.
if you need help finding it look under the FAST SINGLES and STREAMS section
Already said I read it multiple times. jesus1412 raises both, his ring and pinky finger - great, got it. I already said I'm not looking how to get faster or better at streaming/single tapping (directly). I'm asking for people's style, and what they prefer to do. Linking me to the page (that is safe to assume I've already read), and telling me to look for what you believe to be the global answer to my question, does not help. There are lots of players, and a lot of them do not all play the exact same way. I am curious to what people have to say, and what their opinions are. I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking you, but it's kind of not helpful when you link a stickied page.
uzzi
Hmm. I've never heard of someone tensing their shoulders to tap faster, usually its my bicep that I end up flexing. I think it might be happening because you aren't comfortable with the particular bpm. I usually try to force myself not to tense up too much, otherwise it'll give negative feedback and I'll start to miss. In regards to your fingers, I similarly cock my pinkie, however I leave my ring as is. If I were to stream and record the keystrokes, my ring finger always goes down with my middle finger.

In regards to your point on how to deal with your fingers, I just have mine stretched a little, and just far enough so that the tops of my fingers can be perpendicular to the keys that I am hitting (1/2)
Topic Starter
Myke B

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

Hmm. I've never heard of someone tensing their shoulders to tap faster, usually its my bicep that I end up flexing. I think it might be happening because you aren't comfortable with the particular bpm. I usually try to force myself not to tense up too much, otherwise it'll give negative feedback and I'll start to miss. In regards to your fingers, I similarly cock my pinkie, however I leave my ring as is. If I were to stream and record the keystrokes, my ring finger always goes down with my middle finger.

In regards to your point on how to deal with your fingers, I just have mine stretched a little, and just far enough so that the tops of my fingers can be perpendicular to the keys that I am hitting (1/2)
It may be that I'm not comfortable, but it's hard to tell when I can beat the maps fairly easily - I just end up stressing my shoulder out excessively :/ It's more like my whole right side of my body now that I think of it lol. Maybe I should just focus on not being so tense when I practice.
uzzi

Myke B wrote:

Maybe I should just focus on not being so tense when I practice.
Yeah, just relaaaaaaaaax!~

No I don't mean the mod.
iWhorse

pielak213 wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/99612

no pielak

just no

Myke B wrote:

Just looking for some opinions here. I tend to tense up my shoulder when streaming or single tapping fast - does anyone else do this consistently? I feel like it really wares on my stamina, but it's just natural in order for me to tap fast ~ 240 bpm maps (maybe not super fast, but it's my level). Do I force myself to not do this, or just give in and I'll eventually be able to do it for longer without getting tired? Second question is about my tapping hand - I already made a post about forearm and table space, but I'm more curious about the fingers themselves. I cock my pinky and ring finger back in order for me to stream faster, but I too feel like this wears on my stamina. Everything I do just feels uncomfortable as fuck, but it helps me go faster. Is it better to have a lot or a little arch on your middle/index finger? what do you do with your ring/pinkie finger? Do you cock them back, just let them rest on a key? I'm mostly looking for opinions, and ideas on what to try. Thanks for taking the time to read.

sometimes i arch my fingers, sometimes i don't, i don't tense up singling 240 though, just practice snapping your fingers and not using so much force to press down the keys (pull back before you need to, get your force from speed and not pressing hard, less tension)

my ring\pinky naturally sort of come back when i stream, but when i don't they stay slightly backwards from resting position.
Topic Starter
Myke B

iWhorse wrote:

sometimes i arch my fingers, sometimes i don't, i don't tense up singling 240 though, just practice snapping your fingers and not using so much force to press down the keys (pull back before you need to, get your force from speed and not pressing hard, less tension)

my ring\pinky naturally sort of come back when i stream, but when i don't they stay slightly backwards from resting position.
Yea, I've been working on snapping, and forcing myself not to press hard. I need to really focus on relaxing my body. I did the same thing when I first started driving - I would tense my whole lower body up to help control movement more smoothly; it's a really bad habit ><
Soulg
i tense up if im doing something that's fast/long (singletapping) or fast/short or medium (streaming, only if really fast otherwise i kinda lower my palm closer to my desk and tense my arm, which im trying to stop doing)
Noobsicle
the more you tense, the more your arms/hands get used to it. like Mathsma said, i don't think many people pay attention to this, heck even i don't pay attention to whether if i tense or not
Gretsch
Some things I've noticed for myself as I've gotten better:

1. I play much faster and accurate when my arms feel light. The way I remind myself not to lean into my arm is to bounce in my chair a little bit to keep my weight centered.

2. I play with index and ring finger (not saying people should switch, just letting you know what I play)

3. Steady breathing helps. It's easy to tense up and hold your breath when you stream really fast.

4. I do alternate tapping because I didn't like the tension of single taps.

No matter what you end up doing keep in mind that if you change your technique all the time you won't get much better because you won't adapt to it. So when you find something you like, just stick with it and own it and it will work out.
Dexus
you don't want to tense up; you will cause pressure on your nerves and the input to your fingers will be cut off. It can be very damaging. Just relax and don't tense up. If you can loosely move quickly it's more efficient than tensing up and mashing out. It takes a lot of practice to get at high speeds without being tense (I'm still learning to do this).

From what I have learned the best option is to move just your fingers and nothing else. Single tapping you can get a lot of speed by using your wrist but that doesn't translate well for streams (I can't find a stable method at all to stream using my wrist). Basically do the same thing you do for streams but use only one finger to tap.
Topic Starter
Myke B
Thanks for the tips. I find myself tensing up on really fast segments - like on most of renard's songs, and my fingers just don't co operate and I freeze up. That's what bugs me most about this bad habit of mine ><