forum

question on timing songs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sirk3lkl1ker06
how to time a song with multiple bpm and how do i know if i did it correctly?
i tried to time the ending part of my map (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/2023946) idk if its correct or not
Ladoma
this song already has a ranked beatmaps. just follow their timing.
Topic Starter
sirk3lkl1ker06
yeah makes sense but i wanna know how people do it tho
Gsun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=key9ovLTJZE&list=PLMSHPuWvcbGdpbxg06R-F3AbRp1-CmyWr

This is your video for variable timing, right here! Also if you want to check if the timing is correct for a variable BPM map, well, just check one timing point first. You do that by putting the song at 25% or whatever slower playback speed and check if the big, booming downbeats of the music line up perfectly with every single mentronome ticks for like at least 20-30 seconds. If it's unaligned with even one of those ticks at any moment in those 20-30 seconds, then the timing is off and you need to keep on timing the map.

So for your beatmap, yeah, I can tell the timing is farrr from correct for the end, unfortunately, because the downbeats are not really lining up with any tick in the timeline, so ask someone in a discord server if you need even more help with timing a map than the video that I linked can give you, which I think you will definitely need anyways, just saying.
Bloodred Dragon

sirk3lkl1ker06 wrote:

yeah makes sense but i wanna know how people do it tho
From what I know, if you're talking about live, they time based on approximation of the tempo by how it feels. I don't primarily use 25% playback; it's usually if you want to be precise on a single note, so it's best to also use 50, 75%, and 100% as well as to test play your beatmap. I'd basically put circles in every whole beats (if the rhythm is complex, then I place circles on every note I hear). If the note is later or earlier than the red line BPM then put another red line on the one whole note. Variable BPM timing is a time consuming process and it requires your good ears.
Zelzatter Zero

BlitzFIR3A1 wrote:

I don't primarily use 25% playback; it's usually if you want to be precise on a single note,
Actually it's better to NOT use 25% at all for timing. Very slow playback without pitch change distorts sounds a lot and it usually ended up with the timing being wrong instead.