forum

skill level relative to number of plays

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
xxdeathx
i look at a lot of other players around me who are near my skill level or better and they have way fewer osu plays or hits. Right now I'm 800 new pp/rank 48k (3150 pp before the change) and I have over 5000 plays/1 million hits. My friends are like rank 30k with the same amount of hits, rank 44k with 1/3 my amount of plays, etc. This makes me feel inferior because it looks like I improve slower than average or mess around too much and spend too much time on the game and don't get much out of it.
uzzi
You've probably heard this before but, everybody goes at their own pace.
usa
you can:
A) Tell your friends that you're going to take a break and play offline everyday for a month, then come back online super juiced
B) Make a smurf account to practice on and get banned
C) Believe that your friends are all doing A and B, and that you are indeed the superior one
D) Stop tying your self-esteem to pixels

choose wisely
Iluya
First thing: Different people come with different abilities to this game. Maybe played a lot of ego shooters before and have fast reactions and already more trained with fast finger movements. Takes some time to adapt those skills to the osu-view, but still: Not everyone starts the same.

2nd: How you play the game: I played a ton of games with friends way below my skill level at that time.. That just doesnt help you much to improve (though i think it helps a lot for the overall accuracy to go back sometimes and play around with easy-to-handle maps!), but "wastes" a lot of playtime/hits/plays.

But as long as you have fun while doing it: F*ck that stats and keep going what makes you happy!
Coffee Hero
You might be surprised by how close 30k and 43k are skill wise. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it and just try my best at improving.
Myke B
Meh.. Don't worry about it man. Just bump your number of plays per week up if you want to catch up. If you're improving, then that's all that matters.
Rewben2
I have a lot of plays/total hits for my rank (although I'm gaining ranks very quickly) and it doesn't bother me at all - I play because I enjoy it.
Guru
i used to play for rank so i have to retry alot, that make my play count seem high
Some people play for rank, some play for skill
now after thinking about it, im really stupid to play for rank at that time
Soulg
what.
Myke B

Soulg wrote:

what.
I second that what.
darkmiz
play count means nothing, some people retry a lot, some play offline, some make new accounts.
Myke B

darkmiz wrote:

play count means nothing, some people retry a lot, some play offline, some make new accounts.
Means nothing? I disagree.
Mathsma
Play count is the worst measure for skill. I spend nearly 50% of my time retrying a song within 5 seconds. Today I accumulated 500 plays in a row without finishing a single song. That's probably more play count than some people get in a week and I got it in a day.

Myke B wrote:

darkmiz wrote:

I'd say play count is next to useless and carries just as much value as ppv1 rankings did.
Myke B
means little is different than means nothing
NixXSkate
look at my stats then feel better :)

i was trash at this game (and still am lol), not being able to FC much insanes for my first ~30k plays lol
Guru

Myke B wrote:

darkmiz wrote:

almost nothing
Aka
playcount means nothing, ye.
Soly
Soulg

NixXSkate wrote:

look at my stats then feel better :)

i was trash at this game (and still am lol), not being able to FC much insanes for my first ~30k plays lol
you're great for stealing best performances though ;>
Wishy
So you are sad because you improve slower than your friends and feel inferior.

You either mess around too much or are indeed inferior.
show more