forum

Questions about doing streams

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Raniemi
When a stream appears, I literally just spam Z and X at a random speed and hoping to hit as much 300s as possible, so...

-When did you start streaming correctly? (Not spamming and hoping to hit as many 300s as possible)
-How do you know the speed to tap at?
-Are you able to do streams perfectly? (Getting 300s on the whole stream almost all the time)

I've played for only a month, but I would like to play some beatmaps that would me get into doing streams.

I would greatly appreciate it if you answer any of my questions or gave me a beatmap :)

Edit : Thanks to everyone for posting!
thelewa
answering those three parts in order

I've always streamed correctly since I'm smart

You can most of the time know the speed at which to stream by listening to the music or by looking up the BPM of the map, streams are usually 1/4 so if the BPM is 180 then you have to tap at 4*180 beats a minute and taking into consideration that the usual singletapping parts in maps are 1/2 it gets even easier to find out at which speed to stream. You literally only have to singletap as you usually do, except that you singletap with another finger at the same time, alternating between the two of them. Couldn't be any simpler.

And to the last one: I'm freaking lewa I'm the embodiment of doing streams perfectly and quite possibly the greatest lover this world has ever seen
IppE
Guru
- 1,3: never since im not thelewa
- 2: just listen to the music and practice
Rewben2
-When did you start streaming correctly? (Not spamming and hoping to hit as many 300s as possible)
Always have (I used to spam when playing bpm that was way too high for me).

I always look at the bpm of a song before playing it. thelewa's explanation explains it.

-Are you able to do streams perfectly? (Getting 300s on the whole stream almost all the time)
lolno, I can usually get all 300's on lower bpm streams (150-180), 180-200 is usually hitting all of the beats in a stream but not consistent with 300's. If the streams are longer (20+) I find it hard to maintain all 300's though. Always improving.
RaneFire
After about a year.

Take note of the strong beat. There's 4 beats in a bar. There are 4 notes in a stream per beat. Songs are mapped to the strong beat, so when streaming, use every 1st, 5th, 9th, etc. note as a hearing reference with the hitsounds and your main finger (which will always be the same one hitting the strong beat) and try to keep your fingers at a consistent speed between each strong beat. Learn this and you can deathstream with your eyes closed on autopilot (which is part of my practice routine). I just realised thelewa explained this in a different way.

Most of the time, if it's within my speed limit. Sometimes I do get the start timing wrong, giving me pure 100's for the whole stream.
[ Katsu ]
It took me a while to get used to streaming but I've never just spammed hoping for 300s!

I judge the speed of the stream by the current pace of the song I am playing and from checking the bpm before playing.

I can stream 180bpm perfectly, though lacking some consistency Sometimes. Mostly if its not perfect the last circle in the stream is a 100 or a 50 and I can't figure out why. Longer streams are a disaster usually resulting in many 100s or even 50s.
Gretsch
As much as everyone hates to hear this you have to practice streams at LOW speed so your fingers can feel what it's like to alternate properly. If you cramp up or feel like you are just spamming then it's too fast for your eyes to read it and too fast to alternate properly.
JerseyJackal

Rewben2 wrote:

Always have (I used to spam when playing bpm that was way too high for me).

I always look at the bpm of a song before playing it. thelewa's explanation explains it.

lolno, I can usually get all 300's on lower bpm streams (150-180), 180-200 is usually hitting all of the beats in a stream but not consistent with 300's. If the streams are longer (20+) I find it hard to maintain all 300's though. Always improving.
uzzi

Similarly to lewa, always have been streaming correctly

I have a mini metronome going on in my head... just listening to the music REALLY helps

As long as its in my comfort zone, I can. (140-210)
Naikaze
When I first found out about this streaming thing.

Uhh, listen to the song of course?

Yes.
Myke B
As soon as I started playing songs with streams.

You tap to the rhythm and not the approach circle

yes, depending on what bpm I'm doing.
iderekmc

Ranimar wrote:

When a stream appears, I literally just spam Z and X at a random speed and hoping to hit as much 300s as possible, so...

1. after 13k plays
2.i guess, (usually its slower than my max)
3. VERY FEW xD