forum

hover 100% of the time?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
lgos
Hi I've been a tablet player since last september and I started dragging but the surface started wearing out so I started hovering.
Recently I noticed that involuntarily during some jump patterns like squaers, stars, etc I touch the tablet. I lift the pen and touch it where the note is.
I wonder if its a bad habit. Will it prevent me from getting better? I tried hovering all the time and when there are jumps like that my aim is horrible.

How do you guys play? hover 100% of the time or touch the tablet?
Myke B
use to drag 100%, now I hover 100%. I remember when I was in the process of switching, I would do that sometimes too. It should go away after a while of practice :)
Weed
i do this too. it's just something you have to deal with.
pooptartsonas
I do this, and I don't see why it's a problem at all. If you're snapping to the note, you have to stop on it anyway, so it's not like touching down is gonna slow your movement. If it helps you play the pattern, it helps. No need to fight it.
Mystrian_old
I hover but drag on spinners.
Will3x
I do this. no problems whatsoever
I also used to drag as well
Topic Starter
lgos

pooptartsonas wrote:

I do this, and I don't see why it's a problem at all. If you're snapping to the note, you have to stop on it anyway, so it's not like touching down is gonna slow your movement. If it helps you play the pattern, it helps. No need to fight it.
Hmm... good to hear this from a high rank player.
I was worried cause when I do this the 'trajectory' of the cursor is not perfectly straight from note to note like some replays of pros I've watched. Also, wouldn't it be impracticable to play like that on really high bpm songs?
Myke B
It could mess you up at most
Coffee Hero
I do this aswell and it has worked for me so far. You can still hover patterns if it helps you.
pooptartsonas
I'd say that if the BPM is low enough that you can actually snap it, you'll probably have time to tap down. If you're just flowing through the notes, of course you won't be able to do this, but good luck flowing squares anyway heh..

Also, the "trajectory" of the cursor probably comes from a lack of aiming practice or a lack of pattern playing ability, not from the tapping down itself. I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean by that. Personally though, I have no trouble snapping directly from note to note on patterns I can read properly while tapping my cursor down on each jump, so I'm sure any issues you have can be solved with practice!
Soulg

Myke B wrote:

use to drag 100%, now I hover 100%. I remember when I was in the process of switching, I would do that sometimes too. It should go away after a while of practice :)
just curious why you switched and if you've noticed any particular improvements/getting worse-ments since the switch, i've been thinking about it but dunno if i should really bother or not
Myke B

Soulg wrote:

Myke B wrote:

just curious why you switched and if you've noticed any particular improvements/getting worse-ments since the switch, i've been thinking about it but dunno if i should really bother or not
I cut my tablet area down to over 1/2 the size, and dragging felt awkward. It's hard to tell if switching actually improved my aim, because I'm constantly improving anyways, but doing so allowed to me to play in full screen, and I do think that helped a lot. I noticed I spin better when hovering, though. I also feel more free when hovering, but it might just be due to how I hold my pen (I hold it very strange). I think I could honestly switch back to dragging and be close to the skill I'm at now. I'd say, try it for a week or two and see if you like it then. Did I see anything get worse? When I first started hovering, I was noticeably worse, but it got much better.
nyrox
I do this as a sort of stop and I think players like Shizuru- did strong stops/snaps by doing this as well. I think it's beneficial for my playstyle, I can flow things that I can't snap to and when I snap I tap.
nooblet
I like to touch down whenever precision is required more than speed and hover the rest of the time.
(Screwed me up a few times when I forgot to disable mouse clicks from playing pure mouse)

Also touch on spinner so I can spin the smallest circles possible.
Rewben2

Mystrian wrote:

I hover but drag on spinners.
When I started out I used to drag and hover on spinners, lol.

I started hovering after a few weeks when I increased my area, and I'd say it was for the best. Unfortunately there's a rectangle shape on my tablet from where I used to drag, although it's still functions perfectly. I also destroyed a pen nip very quickly from dragging.
RaneFire

lgos wrote:

Recently I noticed that involuntarily during some jump patterns like squaers, stars, etc I touch the tablet. I lift the pen and touch it where the note is.
I also do this sometimes, but not for every circle in a jump pattern. It happens only on a few of them, where sometimes I may doubt my aim or it's a slightly awkward jump to do, then I would touch-down. Also keeps my hover distance in check.

I've also tried to break the habit, but it's pretty hard and I found it rather beneficial to drag in some situations. I'm not really sure if there is anything bad about it, but I'll just keep playing intuitively and see what happens.
Masamune962

Soulg wrote:

Myke B wrote:

I used to drag very early one when I first got my tablet, my friend recommended that I switch to hovering (Best to learn early) the biggest difference I found is that I'm able to jump faster, because the friction of the pen on the tablet is no longer slowing me down.
Trousersnake
I used to hover all the time, and drag on spinners. :/
Myke B
don't necro posts a month old for no reason please.
tokaku

RaneFire wrote:

lgos wrote:

I do this when I get too nervous on songs with jumps and stuff everywhere. I usually get somewhat paranoid during the process of this that I might combo break, but that doesn't really happen. I guess it stops me from my cursor wandering off further away than where the note really is. But that's just up to preferences.