forum

What is the problem of doing mapping to entertain people like I'm giving them a service?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gsun
I'm am extremely fed up being told by mappers in my career that this is an "external motivator" that I should never aim for and just do it for myself. For reals, would you tell a circus clown, a singer or a comedian to stop doing their job for the sake of having fun entertaining people? Like what is even remotely wrong with this? And why do you care what I do in life?? What ooes it have to do with you?
lewski
it's based on the fact that if you don't get the validation you're doing everything for, the whole thing breaks apart; the people telling you that have probably seen a bunch of people grow bitter because of a lack of validation (I know I have and I've told you all this stuff before lmao)

also if u dont want people to comment on what u do in life dont go out of ur way to tell them about it its literally that simple
Topic Starter
Gsun
Cool. I won't then. Also, I posted this to see what more people think, Lewski.
WitherMite
As long as it not the only reason I think its fine. Depends on the person though, since some people take failure way harder than others.

But its generally easy to make stuff a lot of players will like, just pick a song they like and make it playable - my second ever STD map has 5.2k plays sitting in grave just because its a popular song (most of those within 2 months of uploading), and I don't think its a stretch to call that map terrible. So if you want to rank a map to get your maps to more people you'll want to find a reason to want to make maps that mappers would like that wont leave you increasingly frustrated every time you have a set a bunch of people said they liked and find out modders and/or BN's don't like it and it'll die in graveyard.

Successful entertainment workers generally also have personal reasons for doing what they do other than than just to entertain people too. I mean just think of the amount of practice that goes into singing just for it to be good enough for people to enjoy it, would get quite frustrating if that was their only goal.

People are only warning you that it could be frustrating if that's your only reason for mapping, but if you don't care about ranking sets you can map songs for people to enjoy playing and there's nothing wrong with that if you can accept that most sets wont get many plays or favorites.
Topic Starter
Gsun
Yeah, glad you're thinking what I'm thinking.
Yuri Enjoyer
I think you should spend less time in the forums and more time having fun with the game. This whole laymoo thing and now you too is starting to get pretty boring. Like just go and do whatever you feel like doing and don't listen to anyone.
Topic Starter
Gsun
Yeah, then I'm done here. Good riddance.