forum

My mapping ability has now gotten worse.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
I was using what I was taught by ImproveMint on the osz, but the worst has happened. I turned out that almost everything he taught me about making a good or rankable map was wrong. Apparently, overlaps are not bad. Slider implied movement and rotation has ended up making bad overlap more prominent.

By following what I was taught, I ended up making overlaps unavoidable. I don't know what to do. I have school, so I don't think I have enough time to fix my mapping back to before this all happened.

How do I repair my mapping ability?
Kurboh
just don't do things you feel are wrong and map how you feel is gonna be good
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Kurboh wrote:

just don't do things you feel are wrong and map how you feel is gonna be good
But, I've found everything to be wrong. I don't know what would feel good. Also, this doesn't help me fix my mapping ability, which was worsened by taking the teachings of an unranked mapper.
WitherMite
Did someone tell you that advice was wrong? You got advice meant for new mappers, to train your fundamentals. earlier, I only meant you likely misinterpreted what they meant by consistent spacing and probably shouldn't use the DS button for everything.

Overlaps look bad if done poorly - especially very slight overlaps - so its better to just avoid them unless you have a good idea for them, and can make good looking ones while keeping a consistent visual for your map.

Slider implied movement and rotation is a core aspect of flow, specifically comfortable flow. Uncomfortable flow is also a tool and not automatically a bad thing, but knowing how to make flow comfortable first means you can more effectively use uncomfortable flow.

It's rare for something to truly be bad in all maps no matter the context, but some things are harder to do well and are easier avoided at first while you improve the basics.

if you decide to keep mapping like that, eventually you'll figure out how to pattern with those limitations and can make intentional decisions to go against those "rules".

try looking at ranked maps more often to see how they construct patterns and handle spacing.
robinn
map featured artists community/forums/topics/287145?n=786

pishi will help u

also keep your maps uploaded, it's impossible to help someone that doesn't have anything on their profile lol
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

robinn wrote:

map featured artists community/forums/topics/287145?n=786

pishi will help u

also keep your maps uploaded, it's impossible to help someone that doesn't have anything on their profile lol
I contacted pishi, but he never responded at all.

WitherMite wrote:

Did someone tell you that advice was wrong? You got advice meant for new mappers, to train your fundamentals. earlier, I only meant you likely misinterpreted what they meant by consistent spacing and probably shouldn't use the DS button for everything.

Overlaps look bad if done poorly - especially very slight overlaps - so its better to just avoid them unless you have a good idea for them, and can make good looking ones while keeping a consistent visual for your map.

Slider implied movement and rotation is a core aspect of flow, specifically comfortable flow. Uncomfortable flow is also a tool and not automatically a bad thing, but knowing how to make flow comfortable first means you can more effectively use uncomfortable flow.

It's rare for something to truly be bad in all maps no matter the context, but some things are harder to do well and are easier avoided at first while you improve the basics.

if you decide to keep mapping like that, eventually you'll figure out how to pattern with those limitations and can make intentional decisions to go against those "rules".

try looking at ranked maps more often to see how they construct patterns and handle spacing.
I'm saying I was given bad tips from an unranked mapper, which made my maps worse. I have no idea how to fix it.
robinn

LaymooDR wrote:

... the queue i posted says that he will mod any map of a person with 0 ranked maps as long as it's a featured artist song. if you don't want to map featured artists that's fine, but it's a way to get a guaranteed mod from pishi
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

robinn wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

... the queue i posted says that he will mod any map of a person with 0 ranked maps as long as it's a featured artist song. if you don't want to map featured artists that's fine, but it's a way to get a guaranteed mod from pishi
I contacted him about fixing my spacing issue, but he never responded. I map whatever song I feel can be mapped that doesn't have a map yet.
Livermorium

LaymooDR wrote:

Upload your map. It's pretty simple. I don't know what you want to hear from people here, but unless you upload no one will be able to give you a solution to repair the problem you have. A lot of people have told you to upload your maps, but you never seemed to follow that advice. No one can propose you a solution if you don't let them see your map and the problem. And no your posts are too vague for people to give you a good solution if you thought it's that simple.

No one here knows what state your map is in because you never share the map. People need to know the starting point to help you or you will have to improve yourself which you said you don't know how to
DeletedUser_13957006
have you considered that maybe the problem isn't him teaching you wrong, but rather the fact that you can't effectively apply the concepts he taught you?
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Livermorium wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Upload your map. It's pretty simple. I don't know what you want to hear from people here, but unless you upload no one will be able to give you a solution to repair the problem you have. A lot of people have told you to upload your maps, but you never seemed to follow that advice. No one can propose you a solution if you don't let them see your map and the problem. And no your posts are too vague for people to give you a good solution if you thought it's that simple.

No one here knows what state your map is in because you never share the map. People need to know the starting point to help you or you will have to improve yourself which you said you don't know how to
I'm saying, the unranked mapper giving me this bad info made my mapping worse to the point where I can no longer complete any of them without overlaps.

aiq wrote:

have you considered that maybe the problem isn't him teaching you wrong, but rather the fact that you can't effectively apply the concepts he taught you?
He is an unranked mapper and a ranked mapper told me that he didn't even know what he was talking about. Safe to say, he did teach me wrong, and now I can't even map correctly anymore. So, I need some actual tips to fix this issue that has stemmed from bad knowledge.
robinn

LaymooDR wrote:

I contacted him about fixing my spacing issue, but he never responded. I map whatever song I feel can be mapped that doesn't have a map yet.
there are plenty of featured artist songs that don't have maps yet, you just have to look - pishi WILL help you if you map featured artists, doesn't matter how he didn't respond to you in the past

LaymooDR wrote:

So, I need some actual tips to fix this issue that has stemmed from bad knowledge.
i have ranked maps and can give feedback but everything is so song dependent that it's impossible to give good advice without seeing the map itself - like livermorium said, you can't expect people to help you if you don't upload your maps
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

robinn wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

there are plenty of featured artist songs that don't have maps yet, you just have to look - pishi WILL help you if you map featured artists, doesn't matter how he didn't respond to you in the past

LaymooDR wrote:

So, I need some actual tips to fix this issue that has stemmed from bad knowledge.
i have ranked maps and can give feedback but everything is so song dependent that it's impossible to give good advice without seeing the map itself - like livermorium said, you can't expect people to help you if you don't upload your maps
I used to upload, but I made everyone mad at me, so I am not risking hate. My mapping used to be just decent, not rankable, but decent. Rhythm was good. Spacing was the main thing I needed to get down after learning what I learned, which turned out to be invalid. After this bad teaching, I can't even complete a map anymore without overlaps.

I don't even have anyone to see to help me anymore, since I was ghosted on the osz, the only server left that I was in. Sometimes, I feel like I AM too bipolar for this community to tolerate. Maybe I ain't normal. I wanted to fix my rep, but I guess it is my rep.

I'm a bad guy. I'll accept it.