forum

[Archived] Why do I sometimes get a worse rank when I do better on a song?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bitter Steve
Why is it that sometimes when I complete a song and get a better score I get a lower rank than on a previous attempt? for example I get an S on a song, then attempt again, get a better score but then get an A.

I know its probably a dumb question, especially because I've already been playing for like a few years now, but I just don't really understand what determines the rank I get at the end of a song?
Wimpy Cursed
worse accuracy. You may get a better score, but accuracy definitely matters.
I am pretty sure this only happens with scores that are slightly above your previous scores, which can vary depending on your combo or the map itself.
Blushing
grades/rank do not depend on score. Usually the grades/ranks are dependent on accuracy and sometimes (for standard and taiko) missing will reduce the grade/rank from S to A automatically.
Justclaner
For rank, refer to this: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/en/Gameplay/Grade
Your rank is entirely dependent on whether you have at least one miss and what percentage of 300s you got.
In the case of an S rank, you need not only 90%+ 300s and no misses, but also no more than 1% 50s.

For score, refer to this: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/en/Gameplay/Score/ScoreV1/osu%21
The higher your combos are along with your accuracy, the higher the score you will get. Even if your max combo is lower, it is still possible to get a higher score because it's based on every circle you hit (and didn't hit).

One possible explanation for why you got a better score but got an A is that when you got the S, you slider broke in the middle of the song, losing your combo. When you played again, you likely got a higher combo and missed at the very end or hit a ridiculous amount of 50s. Because score grows exponentially as your combo increases, you achieved a higher score. That A rank score replaced your S rank score because osu! displays the highest score, and pp is calculated from the highest score on each beatmap (meaning you can indeed lose pp for submitting shit plays).