forum

[Proposal - Glossary] Moving ''Re-using your Ranked Difficulties in other Ranked Beatmps'' to Rules.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Erowdi
Re-using your Ranked Difficulties in other Ranked Beatmaps is, without a doubt, considered Content Bloat, and it is honestly quite silly that this has been put under a Guideline. This Guideline is under the RC General Terms, for anyone who is wondering.

I have honestly never seen the justification of breaking this Guideline, and it should stay that way. Content Bloat has been a serious issue multiple times, leading to DQ's / Vetoes. Even difficulties that are way to similar can fall under this problem like This, for example, way to similar difficulties leading to a Veto.

Rule

1. Difficulties that have already been Ranked must not be re-used in other Ranked sets. This is to avoid unnecessary bloating of Ranked content.

Minimal change, but this will just make this Rule more enforced and avoid Mappers that try to justify Content Bloat like this, which is a small percentage but still important.
Ryu Sei
You can change "is discouraged" to "is not allowed" since you're proposing this to become a rule.

Either way, if we often veto this for content bloat, I'm fine with this become rules. Though unsure if content bloat applies to same pattern and song, or different song. Maybe a clarification works to define what is "reusing" in this context.
Capu
Discouraged isn't rule-wording, it's worded to subjectiveness.

"Difficulties that have already been ranked must not be re-used in other ranked sets" would be a more proper way of wording it
ikin5050
Like Ryu Sei said, you are proposing making this a rule so use definitive language. rules don't discourage, rules say something is/isn't allowed.

I think its best to stay as a guideline as if this becomes a rule then you need to strongly define what level of reusing is not acceptable. If this is a rue and only 100% copies are not allowed then technically 95% similarity is allowed etc.
Topic Starter
Erowdi

Capu wrote:

Discouraged isn't rule-wording, it's worded to subjectiveness.

"Difficulties that have already been ranked must not be re-used in other ranked sets" would be a more proper way of wording it
Thanks, should make more sense now.

1. Difficulties that have already been Ranked must not be re-used in other Ranked sets. This is to avoid unnecessary bloating of Ranked content.
Nao Tomori
I believe the reason this is a guideline is due to the subjective nature of what reuse means in the context of a map. Consider the following scenarios (all of which have or may realistically happen):
- mapper ranks full version and TV size; the TV size is an exact cut out from the relevant full size parts
- mapper maps the same song twice, a year apart, using the same rhythm but changing object placement
- mapper maps two difficulties on the set which are the same rhythm and patterning but for the fact that one difficulty uses curved sliders and one uses red point sliders
- mapper makes a tribute set to an older mapper who they respect, including copying several patterns but not others into their map of the same song
- same as above, but different song
-same as above, but they call the map a collab difficulty with consent

Point is that it's kind of hard to define which of these should and shouldn't be rankable. I would personally argue that all of them except the TV size/full version and the curved/red point ones should be. However opinions would differ and so the point of the guideline is to make it clear that there is some room for debate in defining what constitutes reusing a map.
Topic Starter
Erowdi

ikin5050 wrote:

Like Ryu Sei said, you are proposing making this a rule so use definitive language. rules don't discourage, rules say something is/isn't allowed.

I think its best to stay as a guideline as if this becomes a rule then you need to strongly define what level of reusing is not acceptable. If this is a rue and only 100% copies are not allowed then technically 95% similarity is allowed etc.
If a Guideline was set due to these reasons, then I believe that the Guideline should be Reworded to make this more clear. Comes off as you're allowed, in some cases, to completely re-use Ranked Difficulties.

One of my main issues as well with this is that Mappers can just take Ranked Difficulties that aren't theirs and ''switch it up'' essentially just Ranking someone elses Difficulties, with minimal effort.
Okoratu
will discuss this as part of the rc cleanup, as discussion is kinda dead here and nao explained why the guideline currently is a thing im not quite sure where it'll go