forum

[Archived] Question regarding performance

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
izac999
My main desktop pc was under maintenance for some time and so during the meantime i tried to play osu on my school laptop, my main pc has no problems running osu because it has decent specs but in my school laptop performance is crap, fps doesnt pass from 60 and frame time doesnt go below 10-15ms, during gameplay (playing with fullscreen, unlimited fps) i get stutters consistently which is why its impossible to play.

School laptop specs are:
Intel Celeron N4120 @ 1.10 GHz (4 cores)
Intel UHD Graphics 600
4 GB Ram DDR4 (1x1 2400 MHz)
and the laptop uses an SSD

Yeah i know these specs are completely trash, but since is a light game like osu! i expected at least it would be the only game this crappy laptop can run.

I tried every possible optimization i could find here on forums and online with no results.
But the main point of my question is why does it performs like this? 5 years ago i had another laptop that had:
AMD A6-4400M 2.70 GHz (2 Cores)
AMD Radeon HD 7520G igpu
4 GB Ram (DDR3 1x1 800 MHz)
and everything ran from a slow HDD
And with these specs osu performed better, frame times of 2-5ms, rare stutters and i had fps capped to 240

Why on even worse specs osu! ran better than my actual school laptop?
I know intel celeron is less capable than an AMD cpu but damn i expected at least same results with a game like osu.
My desktop pc has a dedicated AMD RX 570 gpu and a ryzen 7 2700X so i have never really do gaming with Intel cpus or gpus, maybe is something i am missing with the Intel igpu configurations that are different from AMD?

osu! version: Stable 20230727.9 (latest)
Lothus
it's weird that the intel laptop you mentioned is running worse than the other one, but most of those things aren't particularly impactful for the overall performance at that degree

for instance, having an SSD doesn't improve frame rate in any capacity, and from what I've observed multiple cores on your processors don't do much as well

are both of those laptops running the same windows/linux version? and what's the timespan in that you have tried both and felt the difference? my best bet from what you said is that the intel CPU's clock is too low in comparison to the AMD one you had, and integrated graphics are heavily dependent on that paired with your RAM
Topic Starter
izac999

Lothus wrote:

are both of those laptops running the same windows/linux version?
The Intel laptop came with Windows 11 preinstalled since purchase, it runs the latest update.

The AMD one when i first started playing osu! in 2019 it had Windows 8 installed (not 8.1) and performance was decent, a few months later i installed a clean version of Windows 10 and performance was still decent. When Windows 11 was released the laptop was not supported but i still installed it bypassing the requirements (for this one i didnt do a fresh install) but i remember debloating and disabling all innecesary stuff that came with it and even after that osu! ran perfectly with minor lag spikes from time to time but still playable. I didnt really played much afterwards though because i then got the Intel laptop.

I can stick to playing on the AMD one until i get my desktop fully functional but i prefer not because some components are starting to fail. (laptop is from 2012)

Lothus wrote:

and what's the timespan in that you have tried both and felt the difference?
on the intel i have barely played because its literally impossible to play, even on main menu/beatmap selection everything is laggy

on the amd laptop i have played for hours with no problems

on both laptops i have played with them being plugged in and none programs running in background, in the amd sometimes i had Discord open with overlay disabled and it affected performance a little but it was still playable

Lothus wrote:

my best bet from what you said is that the intel CPU's clock is too low in comparison to the AMD one you had, and integrated graphics are heavily dependent on that paired with your RAM
Yeah probably is that, 1.10 GHz is a joke in 2023, the AMD CPU even has turbo frequency up to 3.20 GHz.

Anyway guess i will just avoid playing osu! on it, seems like that laptop its literally made for just school stuff.