forum

Ranking question. What if I'm able to do every other basic mapping fundamental except for spacing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
It just plagues me since I'm hoping for my stuff to get ranked in the future, but I have a really bad gut feeling that if I end up completely unable to do spacing and I'm able to do literally anything else, my stuff would be unrankable, so I'm asking for advice here.

What if I am not able to do spacing at all?
WitherMite
not really the kind of question to ask tbh, you're capable of learning, so you could eventually figure it out if your goal is to rank a map.

asking this question is like already giving up, you have to believe in your ability to improve, and ask people how you can do better with spacing, explain what you're having trouble with if you have an idea of what it is, look for answers.

I would try to help, but "completely unable to do spacing" is kind of broad and vague, and you don't upload maps to figure out what that means. Just make a couple maps, seek advice, and make more maps.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

WitherMite wrote:

not really the kind of question to ask tbh, you're capable of learning, so you could eventually figure it out if your goal is to rank a map.

asking this question is like already giving up, you have to believe in your ability to improve, and ask people how you can do better with spacing, explain what you're having trouble with if you have an idea of what it is, look for answers.

I would try to help, but "completely unable to do spacing" is kind of broad and vague, and you don't upload maps to figure out what that means. Just make a couple maps, ask questions, and make more maps.
I mean, I have trouble with spacing as a whole. When I freehand, the spacing isn't consistent, but when I use distance snap to make spacing more consistent, it causes overlaps that I can't fix without ruining the consistency of the spacing. Point is, I am unable to hit that sweet spot.
furry hater

LaymooDR wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

I would try to help, but "completely unable to do spacing" is kind of broad and vague, and you don't upload maps to figure out what that means. Just make a couple maps, ask questions, and make more maps.
I mean, I have trouble with spacing as a whole. When I freehand, the spacing isn't consistent, but when I use distance snap to make spacing more consistent, it causes overlaps that I can't fix without ruining the consistency of the spacing. Point is, I am unable to hit that sweet spot.
There's no CORRECT answer on how spacing works, only what's RIGHT.

If you're making a lower difficulty map, you're probably putting too complex patterns/designs in your map that's causing this issue.

However, if this happens in a higher diffculty map (Insane or higher), the most easiest way to fix this is to match the spacing to the song's intensity, by using making gaps of circles/siders closer on slower/less intense parts of the songs and make it wider/farther on faster/more intense parts.

Then again, like WitherMite said, nobody has a clue on what you're talking about. Maybe if you could upload the map that you're talking about through different means (not through osu's beatmap submission system) this would be a easier problem to solve.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

furry hater wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

There's no CORRECT answer on how spacing works, only what's RIGHT.

If you're making a lower difficulty map, you're probably putting too complex patterns/designs in your map that's causing this issue.

However, if this happens in a higher diffculty map (Insane or higher), the most easiest way to fix this is to match the spacing to the song's intensity, by using making gaps of circles/siders closer on slower/less intense parts of the songs and make it wider/farther on faster/more intense parts.

Then again, like WitherMite said, nobody has a clue on what you're talking about. Maybe if you could upload the map that you're talking about through different means (not through osu's beatmap submission system) this would be a easier problem to solve.
I am talking about spacing in general. Not about a certain map. And yes, I use the intensity implied spacing commonly. I'm saying that I am unable to get spacing right, but I seem to get every other fundamental correct.
Justmap
Have watched this one, this might give you an insight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WSjFFyzGAk&t=48s
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Justmap wrote:

I watched it. I will preface this, I have watched it.

Even if I was ready for ranked, I am not uploading at all, as I don't want to get negatively berated for mapping, when I was a bipolar ass to the mapping community.
Justmap

LaymooDR wrote:

Justmap wrote:

Even if I was ready for ranked, I am not uploading at all, as I don't want to get negatively berated for mapping, when I was a bipolar ass to the mapping community.
I see, anyone who would be rude on your creation are beyond down the dirt.. anyone trying their best will definitely get there..

The first step you should do is to learn how to take criticism... It'll help you grow and give you much more room for further improvement. It can be really harsh, but you only got that choice if you wanna proceed.

I had a similar experience, I made really bad maps since I was really new to mapping.. And I'm still mapping. Because I ain't ready yet.. It takes time. I understand that.

You'll get negative remarks for sure (And it will happen I'm sure) but you gotta take it or else you will not harden and improve as a metal. I don't really know the point I'm saying but geez... Stop being afraid and just climb every obstacle you see, no?
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Justmap wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Justmap wrote:

I see, anyone who would be rude on your creation are beyond down the dirt.. anyone trying their best will definitely get there..

The first step you should do is to learn how to take criticism... It'll help you grow and give you much more room for further improvement. It can be really harsh, but you only got that choice if you wanna proceed.

I had a similar experience, I made really bad maps since I was really new to mapping.. And I'm still mapping. Because I ain't ready yet.. It takes time. I understand that.

You'll get negative remarks for sure (And it will happen I'm sure) but you gotta take it or else you will not harden and improve as a metal. I don't really know the point I'm saying but geez... Stop being afraid and just climb every obstacle you see, no?
No, I'm saying that I'll get insulted because of past issues back then that made ranking and shit impossible at this time.

I was not mentally in the ability to talk nice at the time and I pissed a chunk of the mapping community off. I got that fixed up, but I'm not sure I can keep my stuff up, in fear of getting insults and death threats, like I got before.
Justmap

LaymooDR wrote:

No, I'm saying that I'll get insulted because of past issues back then that made ranking and shit impossible at this time.

I was not mentally in the ability to talk nice at the time and I pissed a chunk of the mapping community off. I got that fixed up, but I'm not sure I can keep my stuff up, in fear of getting insults and death threats, like I got before.
I'm sure you can change my guy, just prove them, no?
If you can't then you're still gonna get stuck there.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Justmap wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

I'm sure you can change my guy, just prove them, no?
If you can't then you're still gonna get stuck there.
Pretty sure I can't. I am naturally a nice guy. They unluckily caught me at a bad time.
lewski

LaymooDR wrote:

why do you never believe any of the people that keep telling you it doesnt matter and its gonna be fine if you just dont do weird shit anymore
Zelzatter Zero

LaymooDR wrote:

I used to post map request on Monstrata's mod queue (Monstrata was one of very big mappers at that time) thinking I did something big and got absolutely berated on Reddit in return at that time.

I used to make a 10*+ map and try to rank it without any consideration whether I should that got some ppl in the server irritated, one known mapper in particular secretly told ppl that they didn't like me and that they don't care if I off myself after I left said server because I was a furry.

Did I feel like nobody's going to like me after any of the two points? Yes. Was I scared that somebody's going to dig it up and laugh at me for this? Yes. Am I still going forward with this? Yes I am and I's still going.

Heck I barely reply to your post because I don't really like how you just post in forums without any real progress anywhere, and yet I am here trying to write the whole things off. Regardless of how much you struggle, fear will still get you nowhere man. As lewski already said, it doesn't matter as long as you have clear indication you are trying to fix the issues.
Livermorium
The first thing you have to do if you want to rank something is to upload the map you want. If you avoid uploading maps because you are too afraid of receiving negative comments you might get, then you will never be able to rank any map. It's just a very cowardly excuse to say "I'm not uploading because I will get hate and berated and so on". I don't know what you really did to turn the community against, but even then it still sounds like an impotent excuse. If you really think you are a nice person, which I'm sure you are, then you have to show the community you can change so more people will be willing to help instead of keep keyboarding your problem in this forum without uploading your maps. Even in this original post, no one can help you because you have no pending maps and it is not possible to check the exact issue you have. Sure maybe you don't understand generally how to use spacing, but that really depends on each song (unless you want to make an extremely generic map and get frustrated that most bns don't rank those) so we can't help unless there are maps to check first.

I get that it's not the easiest to make the greatest maps from the beginning and you might get harsh criticism or hate on your first maps as a result because there are people with really high ego. Obviously this community isn't full of those egotistical people and I'm sure everyone responding to you in this forum is willing to help you and spend time for you. Maybe you pissed off a chunk of community in the past, but there are certainly other chunks that you did not. So if you actually want to rank a map and if you are indeed a nice person, you should stop wasting your time and everyone's time by keyboarding problems here and upload something so we can see the progress and move on.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Livermorium wrote:

The first thing you have to do if you want to rank something is to upload the map you want. If you avoid uploading maps because you are too afraid of receiving negative comments you might get, then you will never be able to rank any map. It's just a very cowardly excuse to say "I'm not uploading because I will get hate and berated and so on". I don't know what you really did to turn the community against, but even then it still sounds like an impotent excuse. If you really think you are a nice person, which I'm sure you are, then you have to show the community you can change so more people will be willing to help instead of keep keyboarding your problem in this forum without uploading your maps. Even in this original post, no one can help you because you have no pending maps and it is not possible to check the exact issue you have. Sure maybe you don't understand generally how to use spacing, but that really depends on each song (unless you want to make an extremely generic map and get frustrated that most bns don't rank those) so we can't help unless there are maps to check first.

I get that it's not the easiest to make the greatest maps from the beginning and you might get harsh criticism or hate on your first maps as a result because there are people with really high ego. Obviously this community isn't full of those egotistical people and I'm sure everyone responding to you in this forum is willing to help you and spend time for you. Maybe you pissed off a chunk of community in the past, but there are certainly other chunks that you did not. So if you actually want to rank a map and if you are indeed a nice person, you should stop wasting your time and everyone's time by keyboarding problems here and upload something so we can see the progress and move on.
No, there was no hate on how my maps were made. There was just hate for how bipolar I was towards most of the mapping community. They caught me at a bad time, and it was just one of many misfortunes coming from my bad luck, which I'm starting to believe is a curse.

It got so bad to the point of receiving death threats and messages from people actually hoping I would commit self-death.

lewski wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

why do you never believe any of the people that keep telling you it doesnt matter and its gonna be fine if you just dont do weird shit anymore
I never wanted to do weird shit, but I was a strong bit bipolar back then. I am a nice guy when you get to know me better. I just don't think I can upload, in fear of being stalked with hate from whom I pissed off back then before I just decided to stop uploading and deleted my maps.