forum

Let's get nerdy here

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bananahira
For several years playing this game there's still some stuff i can't understand, like how does the brain work when reading and playing stuff, why even after years practice the left hand (in my case because my right hand haves dominance) gets stiff with no pathological reason (tendonitis, RSI) and how to overcome it.

i need like a way to explain it to treat it, i already play more (and less too!), because my left hand is giving me problems to play

i've been reading stuff related to piano practice, the positive mindset, visualization practice, how do the plasticity and motor skills work... etc, but i need advice from the pros.
UltraBlack
I am not really sure, but i believe you can search about how muscles work to answer some of these questions. About the reading stuff it is pretty much the same as learning a new language, everybody sees the same thing, the difference is that some people know what it mean (how to hit it) and others don't. About your left hand now, I have a trigger finger in my left hand (the middle one) and it makes forcing it not possible, it hurts, and because of that i even broke the left side of a keyboard. Anyway, i made some exercises for my hand and grew up, with time, due to those things the game started to get a bit easiser even though i still can't play jacks and jumptrills well. Think about it as gym, you will need to train to go for better results. If you are already an adult and you can't really play well you may be playing with something wrong, sometime ago i realised that pressing too hard was locking me in a bad spot. Where youbare at the moment is not that much physical so instead of pushing and pressing too hard, lrr your brain decide how to do the things.
Stickman92
If the LH is gettin stiff, it could just be bad technique. Repeat it enough and it becomes a bad habit. I'd play some songs that i can play without strain my in my LH. And focus on the feeling of the muscles that are being worked. Figure out why the RH doesn't have an issue. From there the LH should be easy to fix.

In short, figure out why the RH doesn't have any issue, then do the same with the LH. Albeit, easier said than done. Goodluck :)

EDIT: As for being nerdy. The Lumbricals connect from the flexor digitorum Profundas tendons into the fingers. While the Interossei, originate from in between the metacarpals and connect into the the fingers.

When the Lumbricals contract , the fingers flex at the MCP Joint & extend the finger at the PIP & Dip joint because extensor hood crap. The Interossei's primary function is to abduct and adduct the fingers but it can also do the same thing as the lumbricals.