forum

I thought mania is easier than taiko at first, but I was wrong.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
_Kancho_
Just sharing my taiko experience. After playing mania for so long, I feel like I reached my limit at 5k pp and decided to switch to taiko. The first weeks were quite okay until I reached 3.5 star levels, where I slightly had a hard time learning oni patterns. But after learning those, getting to 4 star and above was an easier journey for me in taiko than in mania despite it being my main mode for so long. Additionally, I gained 1k pp in taiko within 2 months with a 15 day break in between, which never happened in mania. I'm on my way to rank 5000 and I expect to reach my limit on 6 stars since I can't handle 220bpm and above >_<
roufou
Measuring a modes difficulty from rank/sr/pp is silly, cause they're not really trying hard to balance them to be similar, and the player count is way different.

You aren't necessarily wrong though, taiko is incredibly easy to get 1-4k pp in, compared to other modes.
Mayomi
Yeah, the learning curves are really different so I wouldn't say one mode is easier/harder than the other. Ultimately, all the modes have an infinitely high skill ceiling. That being said, I did find taiko way easier to get into. I haven't played much mania but it took an embarassingly long time to even get a decent score on a 1* map or maybe I'm just bad
[[Potato]]
As some mania players can attest to, mania is more challenging on a technical level. You can take many hard taiko songs and map them to 4k mania and good players can clear them easily (the ridiculous hard ones are still tough though), but the trick is that you don't get "told" what buttons to press and when in taiko, just the color. A lot of the difficult in taiko comes from reading. This is similar to how Muse Dash is just a mix between taiko and 4k, but even harder to read at a glance. I prefer the apparent simplicity of taiko and how it can still be super difficult with only 2 colors :)