forum

question for more experienced mappers

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
179bpm
sorry if this is offensive but do you tend to ignore newer mappers in terms of providing guest difficulties and/or modding?
Zelzatter Zero
Can't speak for GD since I have not providing/asking GDs for strangers as much, but modding-wise, I tend to try providing things possible regardless of experience.
WitherMite
Probably depends on the person's goals, for example if they want to get ranked GD's they will spend their time mapping for people who they think could rank a map.

Also, modding new mappers is a lot more involved than if you were to just mod rankable sets, a lot of new modders think that modding new mappers will be easier, but its really easy to give bad or useless advice to a new mapper, or overwhelm them with everything you think they did wrong. Just nitpicking certain things like you would for a better mapper that's trying for ranked wont really help them much either. Some people will find that extra effort just not worth it for them (plus its not fun to tell people their map sucks). Personally on the rare occasion I open a mod queue I try to give one or two broader concepts for new mappers to focus on improving for their next map instead of just ignoring them.
SaltyLucario
when i was active with gds i wouldnt mind making one for a newer mapper as long as the map looked decent
nominomu
gds - yes, unless if i think the map is rankable or if i want to make one for fun
mods - no, i pick based on whether i like the song, and as ridiculous as this sounds whether i like the bg image
lewski
gds: usually yes cause its way more fun when my stuff actually goes somewhere but sometimes i just happen to be in the mood to shit out something when a new mapper asks

modding: no cause giving general feedback is way more fun than modding a rankable map
[[[[[[
gd: no cuz low diffs are cool and i want people to actually learn how to make it (also bns usually ignore mapsets from new mappers with too much gds anw)

modding: yes cuz otherwise they will ask for mods from less experience people with may or may not be bad for them
Randomness64
For GD's,i only do what i feel worth my time or just for friends,as for mods i feel like a new mapper would be better off mapping more (i know haha cliche) but i feel like giving him tips would be counterintuitive to his growth as a mapper.
Chrisse
i would most likely make a gd as long as i like the song and style, and the one asking is polite unless im very busy.

For modding i find it hard to mod the maps of brand new mappers without saying remap this and that, so i tend to rather give more general tips like how to improve consistency and/or structure
tity
gds: mainly biased towards song choice if anything. im fine with making gds for less experienced mappers if the song bangs

modding: i have no modding experience lol
Asahina Oleshev
if there is no experience at all, I can only accept gds if it does not go to ranked and help improve the map a little

in modding, I'm always open to newbies, but as a rule, I discuss everything with them in pm