forum

PP Gain without ranking top X

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Arinisar
Sorry if the title sounds a bit cryptic, what I mean to ask is that is there a limit to the amount of PP I can get without actually ranking top 500 (or 600, or something) on a map?
I do not care all that much about getting pp, but it somewhat bothers me that finishing my first 5.00 map a few days ago didn't net me a single point, while accidentally (I played the map for the first time, got a B, missed a lot of beats, I must think I played it amongst the first few people or something) ranking in the top 500 of https://osu.ppy.sh/b/228965&m=0 somehow netted me almost 70 PP two months ago. And on the same day I also managed to get an additional 30 for I really don't know what. Maybe I replayed the map with better results. No gain since then.

I know star difficulty is not necessarily relevant to PP-worth and while this post does sound like whining so far, I'm not that upset about not gaining PP, as my reasons for playing are more along the lines of self-improvement then having a bigger e-pe ego (not that I think there is anything wrong with that). But still, I'm curious, might I get more PP by simply playing hard songs and getting better marks, even without ranking in the top, or should I forget about it until I'm comfortable with playing in Hard Rock mode with Hidden (and getting 90%+ with fc still)?
Soarezi
PP at your rank can come from the dumbest things
- Marco -
I don't think so :c
Rewben2

Soarezi wrote:

iderekmc

Rewben2 wrote:

Soarezi wrote:

Topic Starter
Arinisar
I see, thanks. Will just keep playing then. (:

(I consider this question answered, so a mod can lock the topic if there are such "customs" here.)
Vuelo Eluko
pp is about farming stuff you can FC with mods

rank is more about farming stuff you can do with ease than actually improving as a player.
Topic Starter
Arinisar

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

pp is about farming stuff you can FC with mods

rank is more about farming stuff you can do with ease than actually improving as a player.
I see. That is kind of a letdown. Thanks for explaining tho!
RaneFire
Well I figured out something about old maps/records and taking top ranks...

If you overtake a player like www on the scoreboard and his score is old, and "I" suck, it immediately seems to "discredit" the rankings. I had a 98% #17 on Jordan Trudgett - Ardentryst's Theme [Shuna's Insane] which appeared at about no.5 in my top performances (yeah, you rock pp system...)

I decided to go about my day getting rid of some bad habits and grinding accuracy here and there. In the process I came upon this map again, and I made a 99.49% #4, overtook www, and lost 10pp.

Now my rank never fluctuates that much, ever, because I usually play maps that have been out for at least a month or 2, and much older than that (since I have them all). I download packs, and rather late as well. I also remember getting a huge amount of pp for this in December when I first made my last score and now the map no longer features in my top performances.
Soulg

Soarezi wrote:

PP at all ranks can come from the dumbest things
Sohma99

Soulg wrote:

Soarezi wrote:

PP at all ranks can come from the dumbest things