forum

How do you motive yourself to keep mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
KimAriel
Hello!
I have been playing osu! for years now and finally decided to give mapping a try. I do tend to lose motivation midway onto something, so I want to know how do you keep yourself motivated to keep going.
WhateverComic07
Best way I've found is to show it to others. Maybe a video of it in a discord, maybe just asking for a mod. Even asking for a GD. I've never had the motivation to try for ranked but with these methods I have had to motivation to finish maps or even mapsets.
lewski
motivation is incredibly fickle and personal; it comes and goes based on all kinds of factors that can be hard to control, and how it works is different for everyone, so it's hard to give concrete advice on. if you want to map at a consistent pace and see your projects to the end, you're better off relying on discipline.

there are a lot of different resources regarding discipline around the internet that you may want to look into (try googling "build discipline"), but it basically comes down to creating good habits for yourself. for example, if you can get yourself to map even just a bit every day, it'll get easier over time, and finishing your maps will become less of an ordeal.

it's also good to recognise your goals as a mapper as well as what makes mapping fun for you. working towards goals you care about and having fun with the journey are essential for longevity in any hobby.

for example, I want to be good enough to map any of my favourite songs and end up with something I can enjoy playing and be proud of, so I've put myself in what could even be called an elitist environment which always pushes me to grow. I also like the community aspect of the hobby, so I make a lot of guest diffs and participate in other kinds of projects as well.

your goals are likely going to be different from mine, and they'll probably evolve over time as well. if you have trouble with recognising them, it's good to start by thinking about what made you start mapping in the first place and let your goals evolve from that.
Ryu Sei
Personally I find the song I want to map, then use my brain power to imagine how the map looks like, and force myself mapping the song all the way to the end. It works!
Domino on osu
You could try getting feedback from friends or just people in general, that makes me want to try harder and learn more to impress them.
Livermorium
Just make sure your motivation isn't "getting ranked" so you have a real reason for enjoying mapping
[[[[[[

Livermorium wrote:

Just make sure your motivation isn't "getting ranked" so you have a real reason for enjoying mapping
Topic Starter
KimAriel
I've been thinking about rewarding myself, like, creating a rewarding system. Every time I feel like I'm doing a good job or managed to finish a certain amount (timewise) of the map, I treat myself with something like hot chocolate or whatever. If my map is 4 minutes long, I'll reward myself when I hit the 2 minutes timestamp and then again towards the end. I'll just leave this tip here for whoever finds it useful.
Randomness64
usually i just find songs randomly on yt,and i try to map them with the same image or close to the image i had in my mind,or friends requests
[[[[[[
my mapping motivation is entirely driven by how autistic i feel like today
- Marco -
i do it because i have fun mapping and replaying some otherwise unmapped songs
ClevelandsMyBro
because i like the song