forum

Any advice on playing SV?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[GB]Foxy1459
I'm talking mainly about sv that requires much memorization. I've got the following questions when practicing sv.
1.Do I need to slow down or speed up the scroll speed when playing sv?
2.Does improvement on memory-type sv really exist? For example, if I can play 260 bpm jumpstream, I can deal with most jumpstream maps under that bpm without problem. But if I spend lots of time practicing one sv map, it's not so likely that I can play another sv map well unless I spend the same time on it, then how can I say I'm making progress in sv instead of I'm just making progress in that map? And for many sv maps like mafain, I have trouble getting A rank even I play for more than 20 times.
3.How can I hit the note to the rhythm when there is no time to match the note on the screen with the music I hear?
4.If spending time and effort to memorize is the only way to improve sv, how to memorize sv effectively? I've tried to play no-sv version, but it doesn't work well.
midgy
1. depends on the file in question some are easier if you slow it down some are easier sped up

2. not really no, you can get better at not letting the sv "distract" you but it's basically just memory and staying focused

3. learn the song so you are prepared for the sound (20 times is not a lot to learn an sv file, people put 100s of plays into them)

4. you'll want to play the sv version to memorise the sv too
if you are struggling with any particular pattern you can check it in the editor
playing the no-sv first can be good so you know how well you could in theory do kinda like how speedrunners have a "sum of best times" it's not realistic but it tells you what is technically possible.

by far the most telling part of why you struggle is this question right here:

[GB]Foxy1459 wrote:

3.How can I hit the note to the rhythm when there is no time to match the note on the screen with the music I hear?
this tells me you are currently doing the timing by visuals instead of listening and expecting rhythms by audio (not a bad thing, you have to do this for dumps,) but for sv it is very important to stay on time with audio instead cause the visuals are inconsistent

basically it's not about literally listening and hitting when you hear a sound, it's about building expectations for the next sound based on context and memory, once you learn the song you know what sounds are coming next and the same can be said for the patterns in the file

think about it like this if the pattern was simply a 1 column jack at 100bpm so you can easily hit it all on time no issues then add sv that make it speed up and slow down at random amounts after each note and you can still just hit the entire thing perfectly accurate regardless, even if the notes were fast enough to not show on screen or slow enough to overlap 100 times you could do it, now you just have to be that accustomed to other patterns basically