forum

Is there anything that differs a loved map from a ranked map in how it's structured?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gsun
I'm kinda wondering if there's a difference between how the two categories of maps are structured since it begs the question about why the beatmaps need to be judged differently by different groups of people: one a BN and another a Loved Captain. So are there really differences or not?
Rivals_7
Ranked: Nominated by Beatmap Nominators, mapset must follows a set of RC, and mappers is the active push for the map to get it ranked

Loved: Nominated by loved captain, does not necessarily have to follow RC / could have interesting gimmick where RC is broken / have some sort of legacy, and mappers cant actively push for it, its basically rng

coming from a BN myself and i dont really familiar with loved so maybe loved captain can fill in smth i dont list here
lewski
the vast majority of loved maps are just normal maps that got popular while unranked and that the mappers either didn't want to or failed to rank

there's no real difference in how the mappers approached making the maps because only people who have no idea about how the category works make maps """for loved""", although the average loved map is clearly worse than the average ranked map as far as I can tell

maps with 2b, sliderator or other similarly weird things are a sort of exception because the mapper knew the map would be unrankable the moment they used an unrankable technique, although they still couldn't realistically do it with the intent to get the map loved unless they had a massive platform

the maps need to be judged differently because the categories have different criteria

the judging is done by different people because of the above but also because the categories appeal to fairly different groups of people and thus the groups of people that want to manage them in the first place have limited overlap