forum

[Archived] Am I allowed to use a program to emulate windows mouse accel on Linux?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
emaildotdash
Hello

The situation is the following: I very recently became a linux user and have realized my worst fear: Linux (obviously) does not have Windows' enhanced pointer precision. This is a huge issue, since it is my preferred way to use my mouse in literally any digital activity outside of games I play with a controller.

Anyhow, since I cannot find any programs that emulate it on linux, I'm thinking of making my own. However, I am unsure as to whether or not I'd be allowed to use such software whilst playing osu! and this would also be my main question about this topic.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I have been unable to find any information on both this topic as well as the whole "Win. MouseAccel on Linux" topic anywhere on the internet, so if anyone knows any already existing implementations of this concept, I'd be delighted if you could tell me about it.

Thank you in advance for any potential reads and replies and have a good day.
Blushing
Hmmm. I don't know the exact way this could be implemented but I'd say that if you are going to inject anything into the game itself it can be flagged and you can be falsely restricted for any "cheating" so there's that, but if its going to be an all around application then it should be fine.

Though I can say that if windows users are allowed to use it, then I dont see why you wouldn't be able to use/emulate it.
Ryu Sei
Contary to common conceptions, the enhanced pointer precision does exist on Linux. At least, that's how did I experience with Ubuntu. It's kinda tricky to make it effectively emulate Windows' behavior, but you can do that. It shouldn't be bannable since the change applies system-wide rather than to specific programs. I used a script on Linux hardware to force disable mouse acceleration, and it doesn't give me trouble with osu!.

By default it should be enabled though the behavior is different than Windows. I'm sure you can find it somewhere on the internet.
Topic Starter
emaildotdash
Thanks for the replies!

To clarify, I do plan on making it a script that would run in the background system-wide, so your replies have answered my question.

As for Linux's built-in mouse acceleration, I use Mint, so I also experienced the on-by-default mouse accel setting, but it didn't even feel remotely like Windows. In any case I'll be sure to look into it, since if it can be made to feel like Windows, then that would make my life a lot easier.

Thanks again and good day to all of you!